will triggers eat sponges ?

sh2000

will trigger eat sponges like a undualted trigger or clown triger or niger trigger or picasso ?
thanks

jaymz

Whatever you do IMO I would not add an undulated trigger to you tank if there are fish in you tank. They are beautiful but will fight and pester any other fish in your tank. And clowns are just difficult to keep. Niger or picasso would be the way to go if you want a trigger.

sh2000

Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2508691
Whatever you do IMO I would not add an undulated trigger to you tank if there are fish in you tank. They are beautiful but will fight and pester any other fish in your tank. And clowns are just difficult to keep. Niger or picasso would be the way to go if you want a trigger.
why is the clown trigger so hard to keep they are classified as easy..and most ppl say niger triggerfish are not as aggresive as other triggers and picasso is semi aggresive...some ppl even consider the niger reef safe..can u explain the undulated and clown triiger a bit more in depth...thanks..

jaymz

Oh im not at all trying to stop you from doing what ever. Im sure you may know more about saltys than me. Im mainly speaking from experience. If you can get a clown trigger that is a proven eater then I would snap it up. I dont think you should mix triggers unless you have the room. My main point is just that undulated triggers are very aggressive.
I put that link to sfw.com in there because it says that an undulated trigger should live alone, by itslef, with noting else.
I get them in at work sometime and I have quit trying to put them in with any other fish. they end up costing me too much money. They stay in a 10 gallon section of a 220gal system. They are voracious eaters. But most triggers are so this will at alot to the bioload. The people who buy them usually have a large aggressive set up. Large eels, wrasse, large tangs etc....

jaymz

also im sorry to have sent the topic this direction. I have no experience with sponges and do not know if there is a sponge eating trig.

jaymz

and undulated triggers are inexpensive due to demand. There really isnt much demand for them. And a high demand for the clown trigger has driven the price way up.

sh2000

saw the link wasn't too informative..will the niger and picasso get along ? and as far as the clown that is expensive but undulated is really inexpensive..but i wouldnt get it if it is aggresive..there is a clown trigger fish in my LFS that i watch them feed all the time when i go in they use tweasers and feed him shrimp..so hes eating already so I don't think that would bea porblem..you have to undertsand also these fish will start off as 1-2 inches but they get very large and when they outgrow the tanks i just transfer them to a bigger tank or to a friedns bigger tank or trade at the LFS for some other stuff.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2509027
saw the link wasn't too informative..will the niger and picasso get along ? and as far as the clown that is expensive but undulated is really inexpensive..but i wouldnt get it if it is aggresive..there is a clown trigger fish in my LFS that i watch them feed all the time when i go in they use tweasers and feed him shrimp..so hes eating already so I don't think that would bea porblem..you have to undertsand also these fish will start off as 1-2 inches but they get very large and when they outgrow the tanks i just transfer them to a bigger tank or to a friedns bigger tank or trade at the LFS for some other stuff.

When you have a mix of triggers you are basically setting the timer for a bomb. If you add an undulated, then you have lit the fuse. They get along quite nicely for awhile. Then they go postal one day. No one can tell you when it will happen, but it will happen. The sponge is the least of your worries. They munch on hard stuff, like snails and shrimp. I don't think that he will be interested in your sponge, but he may decide to bite. They are not even close to reef safe at all.

sh2000

original post do triggers eat tree sponges ? does anyone know or should I google it and do some research ? lol can i get an answer ? and if you all feel yo uwill give me wrong info you will all be responsible for a tree sponge dying from a trigger eating them..so if anyone can simply answer the question that would be great without advising me to do research and without a whole story can anyone just say yes or no ? are triggers known to eat tree sponges its not that difficult....

sh2000

OK i guess that means no1 cares to answer that fine ill ask the worker at the LFS b4 i buy a picasso or niger im sure hell so no problemo just to make the sale...if the sponges die.. you all know i di dthe research b4..no1 cares fine

lexluethar

Obviously you don't care either. So stop trying to project your feelings of guilt upon other people - take responsibility for your actions.

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2510398
OK i guess that means no1 cares to answer that fine ill ask the worker at the LFS b4 i buy a picasso or niger im sure hell so no problemo just to make the sale...if the sponges die.. you all know i di dthe research b4..no1 cares fine

There is a good chance no one knows... That's why they are not answering. Heck, I read this thread earlier, but didn't know and didn't want to post "I don't know".

sh2000

i feel alot better if someone says they dont know they being ignored anyways...i want to move the tree sponges anyways into my 120 RT but i have micro bubbles problem which could harm them they are doing fine in the 55 that is qt the yellow belly and in the 30 with the powder blue...anyways thanks ..ill ask people i know that have been in the hobby for 40 or 50 years and see what they say.. or look in some books i have.

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2510531
i feel alot better if someone says they dont know they being ignored anyways...i want to move the tree sponges anyways into my 120 RT but i have micro bubbles problem which could harm them they are doing fine in the 55 that is qt the yellow belly and in the 30 with the powder blue...anyways thanks ..ill ask people i know that have been in the hobby for 40 or 50 years and see what they say.. or look in some books i have.
Hehe, I've have to post a lot if every time I opened a thread and didn't know the answer I responded like that. Seriously, that's usually why an unusual question gets slower response time.
Micro bubbles can certainly be bad for sponges I would imagine.

jaymz

http:///forum/post/2510531
anyways thanks ..ill ask people i know that have been in the hobby for 40 or 50 years and see what they say.. or look in some books i have.

And if you have those kinds of resources why would they not be the first your reference. This is an online forum, people in webland can tell you anything.

krazykarel

Dude relax...people here are willing to help you. You need to be a little more patient and give more people a chance to read your post.
I haven't heard of a trigger eating a sponge. I would say put it in there with the trigger and watch it carefully. Be willing to move it out.