windex or glass cleaner? bad idea?

mbnum2

I have heard that this is bad for your tank and can be very harmful. I have never cleaned the glass with any cleaner before I just was wondering if this was true or not?

lexluethar

I don't think it is bad for the tank - assuming you aren't using it on glass that comes in contact with the water. I wipe the outside glass with a cloth that I sprayed with a little windex.
I've been doing this for 8 months and i haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

sign guy

true
windex has amonia that drifts over to your water and can spike your tank pramitors. there are a lot of aquarium safe cleaners in the hobby, Id check the dried good section of this site they should have it

ifirefight

Originally Posted by ghola5
its very true and dont use anything but water to clean the outside
Not necessisarily.... I use windex....BUT I spray it on the paper towel while Im in the kitchen (30 feet away from the tank). If you spray it directally on the glass...chances are you may contaminate the tank. But using a damp paper towel with glass cleaner poses no problem....Just dont drop the paper towel in the tank.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by ifirefight
....Just dont drop the paper towel in the tank.

ugh... ive done that.

jacrmill

just use common sense with it and you will be fine. as someone else stated, just spray it on the paper towel in a different room. thatll be fine, the ammonia isnt going to soak through the glass. think about it, if ammonia could seap through, what would keep water (an even smaller molecule) from seaping out?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jacrmill
just use common sense with it and you will be fine. as someone else stated, just spray it on the paper towel in a different room. thatll be fine, the ammonia isnt going to soak through the glass. think about it, if ammonia could seap through, what would keep water (an even smaller molecule) from seaping out?
I have to agree here. Nothing but things ment for aquariums should come any where near your tank.

jonthefishguy

Just a bit of advice. If you have an acrylic tank, DO NOT use windex or any type of solvent other than water or the cleaning solution that is made for aquariums. Windex as well as other solubles cause hazing in the tanks and will lead to them eventually cracking. If you are ever at the TEXAS STATE AQUARIUM in Corpus Christi, you will see on a center cylinder seemless tank that it has crazed due to wrong cleaning habits and that one day, it will bust open.

R

reefernana

All I use is a microfiber cloth. If there are any real smudges all I do is breath into it a little like you would to clean your glasses. It puts a little moisture in it and its works great. No chemicals.

reefkprz

I use Ro water/paper towel to wipe down the outside of the tank. works like a charm and no risk at all of contamination.

symon

jacrmill said:
just use common sense with it and you will be fine. as someone else stated, just spray it on the paper towel in a different room. thatll be fine, the ammonia isnt going to soak through the glass. think about it, if ammonia could seap through, what would keep water (an even smaller molecule) from seaping out?[/QUOT
Common sense is all you need to use!

jacrmill

haha....everybody is saying all these more complicated methods, and what does earlybird suggest but a sock. Im sure it works just as well, but after reading all the other replies and then coming down to your sock, it made me chuckle.
if i run out of paper towels maybe ill put my fruit of the looms to use...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've used glass cleaner, but never sprayed it directly on the glass. Spray on a dust cloth, away from tank, then wipe the glass.