windows 7

louti

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3162662
How did you get the free upgrade? I'm using vista also. Is there a site or soemthin that gives all vista users the upgrade?
i bought my laptop a few months ago, and office depot had a promotion for a free upgrade when 7 comes out. I'm assuming it was the same thing.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3162662
How did you get the free upgrade? I'm using vista also. Is there a site or soemthin that gives all vista users the upgrade?
Not everyone gets the free upgrade, only people that bought machines with Vista after 7's release date was set.

scsinet

Originally Posted by zman1
http:///forum/post/3162571
Do you have all of your Corp workstations already converted to Vista?
Not yet. Our helpdesk machine is upgraded and my desktop at work, but my work laptop and home PCs are still running Vista. Now that 7 is GA, we are slated to upgrade two beta users this week to ensure 100% compatibility with our legacy apps. Once they are upgraded we are going to start upgrading our corporate images and doing a full rollout.
We're a Microsoft Gold Partner, so we get most Microsoft software for free (well not free, the partnership costs to maintain) to use within our organization, so there is nothing to stop us from running the latest and greatest of everything.
*Yes, I am aware of the irony when using the word "greatest" to describe something Microsoft makes.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3162672
I think upgrade must mean something different to all of you "PCs" out there.... LOL When I upgrade... Nothing breaks, gets lost, or doesn't run. Who would pay for that.... ??
People who want something other than an overpriced toy Mac

nigerbang

One thing that stands out to me.. I can install XP on a 10 year old computer.. May not work great but it will work.. When Apple changes OS's your screwed if you have an older mac and want to swap..

scsinet

Mac vs. PC....
The end result is that both platforms have their advantages and their disadvantages.
With Macs, most of the advantages of them can be attributed to those of having a single hardware and software vendor. From a perspective of any computer system, when the hardware and software are controlled by the same vendor, you have the definite advantage of increased compatibility that comes from the resulting level of quality control. The downside of that is decreased availability of applications and a less diverse array of hardware options, and higher price.
PCs are just the opposite... there is a much wider array of software and hardware options, but the increased number of options lead to the stability and security challenges that are out there. It's Windows own incredibly broad hardware and software support base that leads to it's disadvantages...
The other big advantage often touted by Mac users is the lack of viruses and spyware, combined with the increased security of the OS. However, it's Mac's own limited user base and market share that lead to this. If the roles were reversed, with Mac controlling 90% of the PC market, you'd probably find a whole lot more problems in this category. As a virus or spyware writer, you want to affect the larger market share.
In the end, as tough as it is for me to not bash Macs, I dislike arguments that try to make a claim that one platform is better than the other. In the end, they are just different, and in either case, you are making choices based on the pros and cons of each platform. The same thing goes for Linux... not better or worse... just different. For me, the pros of Windows on PC hardware far outweighs the pitfalls.

jdl

I've been running win7 for 2 months. It is great, as long as you dont have an ancient PC. I have it installed on 5 pc's. Ranging from an AMD sempron 3000 to an intel e8400. It runs great on them all.
Before this, they were running XP, excpet for the e8400 which was the only thing that could run Vista well.
Driver installs were flawless, except 2 months ago there were less drivers but the vista ones seemed to work.
I did not upgrade any of the machines, they were all new installs.

rlablan

lol you would only have to upgrade if you have an OLD ibook (from like 1998, with little to no capabilities and no RAM or room for more...) No one wants those anyway. Same as if you had a PC from 98... You wouldn't want to run that if you could. It would be UNGODLY SLOW. My mac is over 7 years old, bought it used, and it's never been in for service or needed any fixes. And I actually upgrade my software with everything new when it comes out and never have an issue.
I just think it's funny that people have PCs say things like "I'm cringing at the thought of 'upgrading' because I might loose everything when it doesn't work"... I had PCs forever. I got tired of loosing all of my stuff and wanting to throw my computer.
To me it's the old "stop hitting yourself, why are you hitting yourself? stop hitting yourself..." Who pays for this stuff that doesn't work and then says.... oh... lemme do it again... That's all.
And as far as toy... I don't think I follow you... anyone who is running any business (new ones anyway) that has to do with CAD or graphics, most anything music, or anything photo related is running a MAC... Don't be jealous cause your spent your money on many many failed Microsoft products...

And still with the whole have to pay for an American for CS over the phone... ahaha they don't hire people at the apple store who don't speak english so I don't have to worry if I ever need to go for service. We can all understand each other there or over the phone....
One more thing... MACs are not over priced... They are average about $100 more, which is what you pay to not have viruses, have good programs and American customer service. Anything similarly equiped is going to run you less, but then you'll have to buy awesome Microsoft software and that is going to set you back money too... so it's kind of a wash.
Let us not forget about this smart fellow...

dragonzim

http:///forum/post/3163185
And as far as toy... I don't think I follow you... anyone who is running any business (new ones anyway) that has to do with CAD or graphics, most anything music, or anything photo related is running a MAC... Don't be jealous cause your spent your money on many many failed Microsoft products...

And still with the whole have to pay for an American for CS over the phone... ahaha they don't hire people at the apple store who don't speak english so I don't have to worry if I ever need to go for service. We can all understand each other there or over the phone....
One more thing... MACs are not over priced... They are average about $100 more, which is what you pay to not have viruses, have good programs and American customer service. Anything similarly equiped is going to run you less, but then you'll have to buy awesome Microsoft software and that is going to set you back money too... so it's kind of a wash.
Let us not forget about this smart fellow...

Hmm, lets see, I have about 120 Dells at my company. Never had a tech support person that doesnt speak English and I've got an engineering department with 15 guys all running AutoCad and Inventor on PCs

meowzer

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3163405
Hmm, lets see, I have about 120 Dells at my company. Never had a tech support person that doesnt speak English and I've got an engineering department with 15 guys all running AutoCad and Inventor on PCs
You must have the "GOLD" service

When I posted that earlier I was serious, we purchased a Dell service contract at the church I work for....when asked the difference in the "Gold" service to the regular service...we were told you are guaranteed to speak to an American

dragonzim

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3163446
You must have the "GOLD" service

When I posted that earlier I was serious, we purchased a Dell service contract at the church I work for....when asked the difference in the "Gold" service to the regular service...we were told you are guaranteed to speak to an American

I have a Premier account with Dell since I spend an average of 30k-40k a year with them. That gives me American tech support and same day service if needed. I pay extra for that though. As a home consumer you can actually get a Dell cheaper than I can through my Premier account, but I am more than happy to spend a few extra bucks to be guaranteed to speak to someone that knows English and isnt just reading off of a flowchart script.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3163438
Why is it people that own MACs feel they need to bring them up in every PC conversation.
Because MAC users are kind of like a religion. They all think they need to convert the poor PC users when most of us really couldnt care less about their shiny toys.

rlablan

Lol I actually run both. but the pcs have way more issues... I have 1 pc and several macs. It was more of an observation based on what you guys are posting about all these issues and what you are afraid of. I am just laughing cause it's kinda funny.
Also I didn't say every business. We own a successful business that is run off macs because we can afford to. But most businesses 10+ years old are running pcs... Like dells cause they're cheap and easy to replace. ( inevitably you will have to). Cheaper cost for you but for use and working with code and real life applications, time is money and we can't afford down time from pc errors.
I only posted based off your posts of how you were all freaking out about using your new software. I've got no sweat over here. My stuff works and my business is sucessful and I pay 1 IT guy, not 15, more money in my pocket. My stuff is reliable, with the exception of the pc. Lol that's what is always broken.
You guys back up though right? Spend the money you saved from buying a pc on a battery back up in the event you do have an issue... Itll come in handy.

dragonzim

http:///forum/post/3163185
Oh, and by the way, this article from 2006 states that Apple has call centers in India just like everyone else...
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/busine...9342547,00.htm

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3163461
I have a Premier account with Dell since I spend an average of 30k-40k a year with them. That gives me American tech support and same day service if needed. I pay extra for that though. As a home consumer you can actually get a Dell cheaper than I can through my Premier account, but I am more than happy to spend a few extra bucks to be guaranteed to speak to someone that knows English and isnt just reading off of a flowchart script.
We here at the church...felt the same way and went GOLD

dragonzim

http:///forum/post/3163466
Lol I actually run both. but the pcs have way more issues... I have 1 pc and several macs. It was more of an observation based on what you guys are posting about all these issues and what you are afraid of. I am just laughing cause it's kinda funny.
Also I didn't say every business. We own a successful business that is run off macs because we can afford to. But most businesses 10+ years old are running pcs... Like dells cause they're cheap and easy to replace. ( inevitably you will have to). Cheaper cost for you but for use and working with code and real life applications, time is money and we can't afford down time from pc errors.
I only posted based off your posts of how you were all freaking out about using your new software. I've got no sweat over here. My stuff works and my business is sucessful and I pay 1 IT guy, not 15, more money in my pocket. My stuff is reliable, with the exception of the pc. Lol that's what is always broken.
You guys back up though right? Spend the money you saved from buying a pc on a battery back up in the event you do have an issue... Itll come in handy.

Show me any large business that is running all Macs... The fact remains that for big companies there is a servere lack of software for running accounting and financials on a Mac.
And also, I am the sole IT guy for a company with 130 employees and about 120 Dell computers. Dell's work great, and no, they dont break down as often as you might think. How else do you think I have the time to sit here arguing with you all day?

cranberry

http:///forum/post/3163464
Because MAC users are kind of like a religion. They all think they need to convert the poor PC users when most of us really couldnt care less about their shiny toys.

I use both... I choose PC for my house. I never made an uneducated decision to use a PC at home, but y'all always come across that us "poor" PC users do. I made a choice that suited my situation. I'm not oblivious to the MAC.
Every night my files are backed up online automatically to a service I pay for. I have 2 external harddrives. EVERYONE should back up stuff that would rather not loose. The online service is for if something happens to my computer physically.
I guess I just find it odd... how this discussion always comes up.... It's like someone starts a thread about their yellow tang and a group of people always wander in and say, "I don't like yellow tangs. You should get a wrasse instead". It also makes the argument to buy a MAC weaker... when you have to put down something else to make your own "logic" seem better.... makes ya look more like the underdog in the long run. It just seems silly.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3163474
I guess I just find it odd... how this discussion always comes up.... It's like someone starts a thread about their yellow tang and a group of people always wander in and say, "I don't like yellow tangs. You should get a wrasse instead". It also makes the argument to buy a MAC weaker... when you have to put down something else to make your own "logic" seem better.... makes ya look more like the underdog in the long run. It just seems silly.
I agree 100%. Someone asks a question about PCs and a Mac fanatic invariably jumps in to try and convince people that they should be running a Mac....