Windows 8 vs Others

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Started this here because a discussion started within a topic in the Ask SWF forum. For those who want to discuss the ills of Win8 or compare to other OS.
I have Win8 on my laptop and will be be getting a new desktop before my old dinosaur XP expires next yr.
The number 1 compliant with Win8 seems to be the "Start" screen or Metro (as it used to be called). From my perspective, the start screen replaced the Start button which is located on the lower right in previous Windows versions. And the Win8 Start is much more user friendly and user customizable to taste then the old Start button menu ever was.
As to getting to desktop, all you have to do is click on desktop from Start screen and you are immediately taken to desktop mode.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but once your customizations are in place its not so bad. Win 8.1 will be released in FALL and it will reinstate some of the main things that people are whining about.
Also, I really like IE 11 better then the previous IEs.

I grew up on Windows, and Microsoft in general. My experience with apple was in elementary school, where we'd play games like "Oregon Trail" on those green screens. My experience continued when I got my first iPhone. I began getting comfortable with the way Apple designed their programs and apps. In college, I was a psych major, but also an Art minor. I ended up taking lots of classes for photography and graphic design. Those were all based on the iMac. It was a totally different experience than what I had on Windows. I actually purchased my first iMac this year, and couldn't be happier.
I feel like Mac is the way things are going, and Microsoft kind of jumped the gun and rushed Windows 8 before it was ready. It was designed for tablet use, but at this time, there is still a high demand for desktop use. I think people like tablets, but at the same time they want to be able to have an access to a desktop too. I am constantly switching from my desktop, to my laptop, to my phone. They all serve different purposes. I think these companies would like to combine them all into one, but I don't see how they could address all my needs and put it into one pretty little package.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is the purpose of Windows 8. Supposedly, you can integrate all of your machines running it. Access your files from you laptop or tablet or desktop. Don't know how it works exactly but that is what I understand.
Also, if you like computer games, then pc is best option. Don't think Mac offers much for games.
Macs also cost twice as much, so its a big investment for equipment that can get old in a few yrs.

dragonzim

Mac is definitely not the way things are going. Look at 90% of the businesses out there and see what they are using... Windows... Macs are just too expensive and dont do anything you can't do on a PC to make it worth it for businesses to use them en masse.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396140/windows-8-vs-others#post_3528866
That is the purpose of Windows 8. Supposedly, you can integrate all of your machines running it. Access your files from you laptop or tablet or desktop. Don't know how it works exactly but that is what I understand.
Also, if you like computer games, then pc is best option. Don't think Mac offers much for games.
Macs also cost twice as much, so its a big investment for equipment that can get old in a few yrs.

A few years??? Try 4 to 6 months before it's obsolete. Technology is so fast growing. I have come to the conclusion that as long as my computer runs my programs and new ones I like/need, I'm happy, the new gadget isn't always better...maybe I'm just getting old.
I use a Dell laptop (running Windows 7) with a docking station. It's the best computer I ever purchased. Runs like a desktop, so I can use my fancy big screen monitor, and I can undock it and have the needed mobility to travel with it. I found my 10" tablet (even with the keyboard) to be almost useless and gave it away to my adult son, my daughter hates Windows 8 that she has on her new laptop, she says it's only good for a touch screen type laptops or a tablet, so mine can't be upgraded to Win 8....I don't feel a bit sad about that.

reefraff

I know a guy who's an appleholic. He's been using them since they first came out. BUT, for a complicated stock trading program he has to use he gets a Windows machine every time. Tells me all I need to know right there. Mac used to be the hands down favorite for heavy graphics but I am not sure they still have that large of an advantage anymore.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I feel Macs are status symbols, especially with students attending college. I can't justify paying $2500 for a computer when I can get the same level pc for $1500. MACs are more durable so they claim, I have no first hand exp, but who wants to keep a pc for 10 yrs? Also, Macs are hard to upgrade.
As to Windows8, the only thing on the desktops that is obviously made for tablet use is the Start Screen. And everything there is click-able with a mouse. Also, Win 8.1 is going to make modifications to appease the diehards of the old Windows OS.

I do not like Windows 8 and I think most of the people will agree with me in my opinion Windows XP is the best operating system ever by Microsoft. I have seen many people using Windows XP and not willing to update.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKelley http:///t/396140/windows-8-vs-others#post_3528882
I do not like Windows 8 and I think most of the people will agree with me in my opinion Windows XP is the best operating system ever by Microsoft. I have seen many people using Windows XP and not willing to update.
Windows 7 blows away XP.
Here's a perfect example from my world. I am an IT person. Up until about 2 months ago I was the IT Manager for a manufacturing firm with about 90 employees. We were a 100% Windows shop. I recently got a new job and am now the Senior staff IT person for a school district here on Long Island. My department supports about 800 users (not including students) and well over 2000 PCs. We have 2 Mac labs in the entire district, one in the high school and one in the middle school. The rest of the district is 100% Windows. Up until about 10 years or so ago you would have almost all Macs in most school classrooms around here but the Tech Directors have realized that you don't get what you pay for when it comes to Mac and preparing kids for life outside school by teaching them to use a computer that most of the business world DOESN'T use is not a good idea.

reefraff

I agree on Win7, way better than XP. Microsoft has tried everything short of coming to my house and kissing my ass to get me to do the 14.00 upgrade to 8. I really see no reason unless I get a windows phone.

ironeagle2006

I have had XP Win 7 and Win 8. My current Dell runs Win 8 and I found a Simple Patch by IObit that gets rid of the Start SCREEN and installs the Start BUTTON again. Lets just say I got rid of the Screen and now have all my Programs listed like they used to be again for my desktop.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
8.1 update will actually do that as an option. However, I don't get why so much hate for the Start screen? Its just what the start button used to provide with some additional personalization to suit user.

S

saxman

FWIW, I was having trouble with Win 7 on my laptop...worked fine, then went retarded somehow (likely malware), but I could never get it to act right after that. So...Renee had just gotten a new touch screen desktop, so I put Win 8 on my laptop, which fixed whatever was wrong. It works OK, but it's really not made for "non-touch" machines. We have both Apples and PC's in our home, but when I really want to work on something, I use a Windows-based machine.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/396140/windows-8-vs-others#post_3528898
I have had XP Win 7 and Win 8. My current Dell runs Win 8 and I found a Simple Patch by IObit that gets rid of the Start SCREEN and installs the Start BUTTON again. Lets just say I got rid of the Screen and now have all my Programs listed like they used to be again for my desktop.
Doesn't that mean you upgraded your Win 8 OS back to doing things like it is a Win 7 OS?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not quite. All it does is add the start button and the menus within the start button as in previous windows, it also allows you to by-pass Window8's Start screen. But for the life of me, I don't understand why people are so put off with the new Start screen, other then it seems like it replaced desktop. There are other things to complain about in Windows 8, such as not being able to keep the taskbar showing while using other programs.
In any case, 8.1 will fix the work-arounds done by these offshoot programs concerning the start button.
Here you can see Win8 start screen (formerly start menu). This example contains several mostly worthless apps that comes from the Windows store and can be downloaded free or for a small price. These include games, photo programs, calenders, calculators, tiles to favorite websites such as Amazon, Netflix, Kindle, whatever. All of these are mouse clickable and grab and drag where you like with mouse. What you usually don't see are the ways to customize this screen to include the apps you want (or get rid of all of them), to place internet links you frequent on Start (such as Netflix or SWF), to pin all your favorite programs, just as you used to do with Desktop on previous Windows. You can group these as you like, and size them as you like. The DESKTOP tile is there by default, just click it and it takes you to the desktop mode.

Here's Win8 Desktop--similar to the old one. As for the missing Start button. Its there! Just go to bottom left, it pops up, you click it just as you used to do, and returns you to your completely personalized Start screen (formerly start menu).

I'd say that things are going more towards Apple and we just don't realize it. The use of Apple has greatly increased over the past decade. And almost everybody around here (I live in rural Arkansas) use iPhones. My 2 year old niece has had no problem using my iPhone. I think kids are probably growing up on Apple the way we did Windows. Microsoft is not what it used to be though. There is no denying that. (I'm really not an Apple fanboy, but I do see the differences in them).

Macs for sure do hold up better than the other machines I have used. The iMac I purchased was used. It is actually a 2011 model, but runs way better than my newer laptop. I do a lot of graphic and video editing. That may be why I lean more towards a Mac. I do notice a difference in the quality of an image when using Photoshop in a mac vs. a pc. It may have something to do with the monitor or screen resolutions. But I I can for sure tell a difference in my artwork.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'll grant you the iphones are very popular. Iphone users have free text, so I think that has a lot to do with the phone's popularity.

What's the lowest common denominator? Everybody around here owns Apple. Everybody from working minimum wage jobs to my professors with PhDs. I don't see how you can lump all those people into one category for owning an Apple product.