Wiring Diagram for workhorse 7

justinx

I have seen a couple threads about this and some people have asked for it, so instead of posting this all over, i just started a new thread. This is how I have my hood wired (you guys actually made me take off my canopy for this;) ). Each blue dot is a waterproof (not resistant, there are both kinds) wire nut (It has a gel inside that solidifies when exposed to air) that connects three wires. Its kinda cramped in there so i used the extra large caps. I have not had any problems with this set up yet, and it is mounted entirely inside the canopy, ballast and all. I modified the fulham diagram slightly as this achieves the same circuitry with less hardware. I hope this helps you guys out. Let me know if you have any questions.

logan15

because they're way cheaper than any icecap ballast im buying my workhorse 7 ballast that'll do 2 110 Watt VHO's for 39.99

justinx

That is pretty much a standard price for them either way. Some places are more, some are less, but it is all in the same relative range. Check out www.fulham.com, they have a page to find local dealers in your area. If that doesnt work, email me.
millerj24@yahoo.com

stpabr

Yea JustinX,
That's how I have them wired...
How hot does the ballast get?
Mine stays warm on the Power cord end...then heats up almost Hot.....at the other end. I can put my hand on the hot part and hold without burning.
Is this nirmal?
Thanks for ALL your assistence..
Happyreefing has them...WWW.you know the rest....:rolleyes:

logan15

See I'm running out of room in my canopy thats why im only going to get one VHO any more lights and im going to take everything out and sell it and buy MH.See thats why I wanted to know if a WH5 would run one 110Watt VHO?
-Logan-

justinx

I dont know about the temperature thing. I could check mine later, but its inside the canopy and kinda a pain to get at, but i can do it when the lights go out tonight. I'll get back to you. I do know though that I can feel heat coming through 3/4" oak plywood where the ballast is. I use it to heat my top off water.

stpabr

OK thanks for the help JustinX...
I have it all set up now....in my DYI hood...I'm might consider the ICECap Thermal Fan, but so far it has not raised my water Temp...
I have them mounted in the top of the hood at about 7".
I plan on getting another from Happyreef....when they get the 21" bulbs for the T-5 2 bulb kit using the WH5. Then I can have seperate Atinics and Whites for a sunrise/set cycle...
Thanks for all the Help..
LOGAN...Fulham's recommendation for 1 VHO..even a 110Watt. is the WH 7.
The % will probably work, but not a full VHO power...

shanev

Can the workhorse 7 handle 2 -110 w VHO lights? ON the fulham site, it doesnt show wiring diagrams for 2 110 W. Does this mean its not supported?

justinx

Can the workhorse 7 handle 2 -110 w VHO lights?
Yes it can. use the wiring diagram above. the ballast can put out a maximum of 220 w.