Woman forced to remove body piercings in airport

cowfishrule

Linky
this is garbage. a quick showing in private to a female agent would have sufficed. the TSA should be ashamed. well, thats the govt for you.

drtash

The safety of the passengers come first. Piercing should be removed if needed. Shame or no shame!

phelpz

I've never had a piercing beep on me at the airport.
It would have to be a pretty big piece of metel to beep.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by drtash
http:///forum/post/2538881
The safety of the passengers come first. Piercing should be removed if needed. Shame or no shame!
if there was a metal plate in the head or pins holding somebody's bones in place, would they have to be removed as well ?

itom37

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2538897
if there was a metal plate in the head or pins holding somebody's bones in place, would they have to be removed as well ?
they would, and do, have doctor's notes. that's not a very good analogy.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by drtash
http:///forum/post/2538881
Safety of the passengers comes first? How are

[hr]
rings going to affect the safety of passengers? This was just a blatant overreaction of authority by TSA agents. There was no reason they couldn't have taken her to a private room, verified the rings were causing the metal detector to go off, then let her get on her plane. You telling me wearing a

[hr]
ring is going to interfere with navigating the plane? Look at some of the ridiculously huge earrings some of these women put on their ears. They're OK to take on a plane simply because they can remove them in order to walk through a metal detector to keep it from going off? The purpose of going through the detector is to detect the presence of large metal objects that could be construde as something that could be used to cause physical harm to someone while traveling on the plane. If an article of clothing can be easily removed, do it. If not, they use the hand wand to determine the location of the metal article. If the article can't be removed, or is difficult to remove, they do a visual inspection to insure it's not a dangerous item. That's what should have been done in this case. It was probably just a plain case of stereotyping.
I understand the need for tight security. But the TSA does not follow standard practices at every airport. I go to some airports, and they let me walk through with my shoes on. Others make me take my shoes off, my belt, and virtually anything else I have on that could have metal in it. I walked through the Salt Lake City detector last week with my huge Seiko watch on my wrist. No beeps, no problems. And what's with the requirement to have your laptop in its own bin? They run it through the scanner, but don't make you turn it on. You don't think a terrorist couldn't take C-4 and make it look like a battery? Like I said, they need to have consistent guidelines at every airport.

renogaw

sry, but the person should have known that any metal is going to set off the alarm and put them in carryon until on the plane...that's what they do with earrings youre talking about. they DID use the wand, and it came over her breas-ts, which could have been something hidden in her bra, could have been the wire in the bra, etc...they inspected. i'm sure the inspector was a woman when they had her remove them.

spiderwoman

I smell a big lawsuit!
I could do serious harm with my ear rings and diamond studs if I wanted to. I've never been asked to remove them.

cowfishrule

it seems to me that this sounds like a "zero-tolerance" policy; in my opinion, zero-tolerance is code word for laziness. instead of evaluating each situation, its all or nothing.
now i despise most lawsuits, and especially the judges and courts that allow them. but i think that this is something that needs to be addressed. this is also a health issue. those pliars were most likely not sanitary. now, they were probably only used to unscrew the ball at the end of the rod (wifey had a nip ring), but its the point of it all.

perfectdark

I agree that the way the story reads what happened to her is indeed ridiculous. My only question is, out of all of the embarassment and harassment she has been through. And as the article is written, IMO she has grounds for hefty lawsuit with out even blinking an eye. All she wants is an apology? Now days that type of harrasment 99% of the vicims want a whole lot more than an apology. I just wonder about the credibility of the story, is there something being left out?..... I just found it odd all she wanted was an "Im sorry"
But dont get me wrong if it went down exactly as it states thats horrible.

jtrzerocool

this whole situation is stupid...if for some strange reason a ni pple ring made an alarm go off then they should have to remove it...its the TSA who makes the rules...NOT US...it even says on their website that you may need to remove body piercings...
here is a quote from the TSA's website...
You may be additionally screened because of hidden items such as body piercings, which alarmed the metal detector. If you are selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to a pat-down search.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/2539081
here is a page from the TSA's website showing how a bra bomb looks...i dont think that the TSA did anything out of line...
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/lubbock.shtm
What does a bra bomb have to do with nip rings? They watched her as she used the pliers to take them off. You telling me they simply couldn't have inspected them, said, "OK, that's what set off the detector. Put your clothes back on and head for your plane"? What did she do with the nip rings when she took them off? SHE PUT THEM IN HER PURSE. So if these were dangerous items, why would they let her take them with her after she took them off? Or are you saying they made her throw them away simply because the were on her nip instead of her ear? PARANOIA WILL DESTROY YA!!!

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by rudedog40
http:///forum/post/2539092
What does a bra bomb have to do with nip rings? They watched her as she used the pliers to take them off. You telling me they simply couldn't have inspected them, said, "OK, that's what set off the detector. Put your clothes back on and head for your plane"? What did she do with the nip rings when she took them off? SHE PUT THEM IN HER PURSE. So if these were dangerous items, why would they let her take them with her after she took them off? Or are you saying they made her throw them away simply because the were on her nip instead of her ear? PARANOIA WILL DESTROY YA!!!
if you will please read the quote above from TSA's website...you will clearly see that TSA has the choice for you to remove piercings as an alternative to a pat-down search...and like i said before...TSA makes the rules...NOT US...