Worm ID plz?

katsafados

Hey guys,
I'll start this off by explaining that I dont have a proper camera to take a picture. I use my g.f's camera when she come sover but other then that I just have a cellphone cam. Therefore I cant get a clear enough/ worth while picture to post.
The worm extends from what looks to be a hole in the rock, Its all black with what looks like gold or white strips/dots all over it. It looks like a arm from a small starfish, thick then goes thinner. (but its deff not one!)
Also at the tip of the extended part it seems like that's its head, because it keeps picking stuff off the rock then shrivling up/folding inside itself.
When it extends its head, there might be some for of feather, or claw like things that grab stuff off the rocks.
The rocks also apparently came from Fiji.
if any other infromation is needed, just ask!
Sorry for no pictures.
Any ideas what it might be, just throw them out there.
It isnt a bristle, peanut, spaghetti or anything common like that (well the common worms that people always ask about)
Thanks!

cranberry

That's sounds like a peanut worm... there are all sorts of variations. I think I have an animation of the "feather head" you speak of. I'll see if I can find it.

katsafados

I guess it is a peanut lol!
It eats exactly like that also. Its a really nice drak vibrant black and white.
Thanks guys! or should I say gals!

cranberry

They are cool.... especially active when the lights go down. Soon you'll see a little pile of debris at the foot of it's hole.

katsafados

Yeah I saw it when my actinics and daylights turned on. I was acctually loking at my gorg. then I saw a hand comming from a rock, which scared me haha and now its gone lol.
Which means back to studying organic chemistry

katsafados

Yep yep!
but were still doing the easier stuff so no biggy. Its like highschool stuff, alkanes and alkene reactions, with a little aromatic hydrocarbons(stuff that smells in perfumes) thrown in there.

ashleigh234

I think I have the same thing in my tank, I had my first look last night at what comes out after dark, and I could see a few different worms
possibly this same as this one, but im sure mine (have a few in there) are very thin compared to it, only about 1mm, and they are about 1-2 inches long, they vary ... same worm or different? my camera is also not good with taking pics of things like this
I also noticed a 3inch? flat black (or dark brown) worm ... any ideas what this one is?
And a couple of red flat worms with spikes? on the sides ... unsure of length as they only half came out of the rocks

katsafados

The red worms with spikes are mostlikely bristle worms.
The brown one might also be one.. or flat worms

Hard to tell without pics. Maybe cranberry will come and id them for you