worm

rapt0r32

I bought some live rock about 4 days ago and today during lunch I was able to get alook at a worm. Never in my 4 years of saltwater did I ever think I had worms or even seen them. This one is orange flat on top and bottom alot of bristles ( or legs ) He only came out of the hole about 4 inches so I didnt get to see all of him. Any idea what this is? ( sorry I dont have a cam to get a pic ) Kinda of odd he was out while the lights were on I would think they only come out at night....

rapt0r32

fireworm huh..... hmmm better do some searching on that one. Is there any reason to be alarmed about having a worm?

bang guy

Here's another common specie. This one is also a beneficial detrivore. I keep this type to clean up the leftover food in my Banggai fry rearing tank.

rapt0r32

You know the more and more I look at this worm it is looking more link Bang's worm... I will leave him be...He doesnt appear to be bothering anything... that I have seen... I will get a red light and check him out at night to see what he is up to......

nm reef

The vast majority of bristle worms are a positive part of the micro fauna of a stable reef system...they seldom become problems.I've got them in fairly large numbers and actually encourage them to thrive....they can be a good thing to have.Here is a link with tons of info on them.