worst labor day ever!

ufo8micats

I did talk to the boys father about what happened. He was quite unsympathetic. he basically said that the filter should have caught the food and that his kid was a kid and accidents happen. he refused to help recoup my loss. I chalked it up to ignorance is bliss and in the fathers case, he is as ignorant as it comes. i also believe that i should not have had to put anything away because kids were coming over. and yeah, my mom would have whooped my butt good if i would have touched something at someone elses house.
I am not quite sure if the boy put anything in the water besides his hands and food. The water had a rancid smell to it when i got home from work. I should have checked my parameters before dumping all the water, just to get a small idea as to what happened.
I do believe that one of the contributing factors besides ammonia spike, was overeating. My fish were all bloated and laying on their sides when i got home.
Today i began starting over. i have not had to do this in so long that i need a refresher course. and yes, tomorrow is another day. I love this hobby too much to give it up. and i have learned a hard lesson regarding children and their parents.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2744821
Although I imagine the parents of this kid and perhaps the kid him/herself may feel just as bad over what happened to your tank, it's situations like these where I really grumble about why parents do not properly supervise their children in other peoples homes... stores, etc.
I'm sure many parents will be quick to point out that I lack a level of understanding because I myself do not have children, but I'm sorry... when I was young and we went to someone's house - especially one that was not child proofed - we were expected to behave ourselves, and things like horseplay or touching our hosts things without asking did not go unpunished. A different time... maybe... but I wasn't a kid that long ago. And rest assured, my kids will be taught to behave themselves.
My point is, you shouldn't HAVE to hide your fish food. That doesn't mean you shouldn't, but it's not your fault this happened. It's probably not even the kid's fault...
I have a 4 year old.. She knows when we goto someones house or even a fish store not to to anything.
When kids come to my house they get one warning about not touching it when they first walk in...I have thrown people out of my house for touching the glass..Young and Old

groupergenius

Originally Posted by ufo8micats
http:///forum/post/2745474
I did talk to the boys father about what happened. He was quite unsympathetic. he basically said that the filter should have caught the food and that his kid was a kid and accidents happen. he refused to help recoup my loss. I chalked it up to ignorance is bliss and in the fathers case, he is as ignorant as it comes. i also believe that i should not have had to put anything away because kids were coming over. and yeah, my mom would have whooped my butt good if i would have touched something at someone elses house.
I am not quite sure if the boy put anything in the water besides his hands and food. The water had a rancid smell to it when i got home from work. I should have checked my parameters before dumping all the water, just to get a small idea as to what happened.
I do believe that one of the contributing factors besides ammonia spike, was overeating. My fish were all bloated and laying on their sides when i got home.
Today i began starting over. i have not had to do this in so long that i need a refresher course. and yes, tomorrow is another day. I love this hobby too much to give it up. and i have learned a hard lesson regarding children and their parents.

I'm a father of 2....kill the kid. Nah jus' kidding.....kill the Dad.

When my most highly mischevious boys were 4 and 6, they decided to feed my aggresive FOWLR tank. I came home from work one day with a whole bag of carrots, 2 green peppers, 8 potatoes, and the entire upper junk drawer (rubber bands, batteries, scissors, and all kinds of crud) in the tank.
Darn fish lived through it though.

Yep, I still love my wife....

scsinet

I did talk to the boys father about what happened. He was quite unsympathetic. he basically said that the filter should have caught the food and that his kid was a kid and accidents happen.
Oh that's a cute argument...
So... if his kid were 16 and slammed his car into yours, severely injuring you, what is his argument going to be? "The seatbelt should have protected you better?"
With a response like that, I'd be tempted to file suit against him in small claims court to recoup the financial loss of your tank.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2745531
So... if his kid were 16 and slammed his car into yours, severely injuring you, what is his argument going to be? "The seatbelt should have protected you better?"
With a response like that, I'd be tempted to file suit against him in small claims court to recoup the financial loss of your tank.
I'm sure glad you have internet access again. (I assume you got the issue with your ISP ironed out) I certainly missed reading your opinions.

S

saltycrab

Start up a shark tank and throw the kid and dad in.
Seriously though sorry about your fish.

fattony

Sorry for your losses. I know it's hard, I hate it when I lose a fish!
I'd be filing a claim on them in small claims court. The father of that child is responsible no matter what he thinks. He should have supervised his child better in the first place. i also agree with locking things up when you have guests. You shouldn't have to, but things like this happen even though hey shouldn't. I make it good practice to do this whenever I have guests over, especially the ones that have children. Good Luck on the rebuild, I hope everything goes smoothly.

socal57che

Hey, I just had an idea. Talk to your insurance agent about filing a claim. If they say it won't affect your premiums (and the deductible is reasonable), ask for some help from them. Some cash up front may help to ease your suffering. Just an idea.

cranberry

Sorry for your loss. I had 2 total tank wipeouts (and a tank crash... but not a total loss) as well in the past. All 3 happened while I was on vacation but it was still preventable had I had done things differently. One tank had irreplaceable critters in there so the loss was HUGE!
It was all really very sad :-(

hlcroghan

Cranberry, what irreplaceable critters were in your tank? Just curious how you got them, if they were rare or what...

cranberry

They weren't hard to come by when I first got them but they were eventually Red Listed and the captive breds were still almost unheard of. So, at the time they were irreplaceable. Now there are captive bred Reidi on the market but they are nothing like the originals. Mine were HUGE and you just don't see that anymore.

I also had H. barbouri in the tank that also died. They are really hard to come by still and only one place has them intermittently. The WCs that are brought in sporatically have a HUGE mortaility rate. These are the ones I lost in the "vacation oops".

dragonzim

Sounds like that kids father needs a good beating. I would never, ever welcome that family in my house again. Kids will be kids, but to get a response from the father like that shows what a complete lack of respect for other people's property and pets that he has and that is exactly what he is teaching his kid.

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/2747266
Sounds like that kids father needs a good beating. I would never, ever welcome that family in my house again. Kids will be kids, but to get a response from the father like that shows what a complete lack of respect for other people's property and pets that he has and that is exactly what he is teaching his kid.
+1 I totally agree. I would have at least offered to replace some of the livestock or something. And it would have been a bad few days for my child if they ever did that.

novahobbies

I'm so sorry for your loss, and it's quite understandable that you'd be upset about it. I lost the very first seahorse I purchased a month ago to a tailrot disease, and I was absolutely devastated. Yup, 32YO man, and I cried a little over the poor girl. We develop an attachment to our pets, and it's human nature to feel this way when we lose them.
Don't let it stop you entirely, though! Look at it this way, the damage was done through no lack of care on your part; rather it was the work of an errant child who sadly didn't know better. I agree the father should really have been looking out, and he CERTAINLY should have felt some responsibility, but the truth is that kids disappear in a split second, and I've learned the amount of trouble they can get into in that seconds time is...impressive! My brother once managed to put an entire bottle of dish soap in the pool one time becase he wanted a huge bubble bath, and I swear he did it in the space of 5 seconds.
Sounds like the dad of this kid is a true piece of work, but I wonder....if the kid is young and didn't know any better, but has a fascination for the tank, would it be worth your while to have the kid over to "help" you set the tank up again? Seems like you'd be doing a lot of good from a bad situation....reviving your hobby, helping a young man learn the right way to care for these pets, and honestly, sounds like getting him away from his dad for a few hours to learn some real morals would be a GOOD thing.
anyway, just my 2 cents...

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2745531
ranton. Fill his tires with butane... when they blowup on the freeway and he's injured just tell him that the seat belt and airbags should have taken care of him. That way his kids and most likely equally ignorant wife will lead a sad life doing donkey shoes in TJ. rant off
I'm vengeful, if people mess with my stuff or ruin it, they pay. If someone's kid(s) touched my frogs or anything and killed them, they'd get arsenic cookies, no exceptions. I hate people in general and when they do dumb stuff like that they should pay. If the father won't pay, deal him some street justice seriously. People can't go around thinking they can get away with that stuff... maybe once "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" actually happens, people will realize how good it could have been had they not done dumb things.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2748068
I'm so sorry for your loss, and it's quite understandable that you'd be upset about it. I lost the very first seahorse I purchased a month ago to a tailrot disease, and I was absolutely devastated. Yup, 32YO man, and I cried a little over the poor girl. We develop an attachment to our pets, and it's human nature to feel this way when we lose them.
Don't let it stop you entirely, though! Look at it this way, the damage was done through no lack of care on your part; rather it was the work of an errant child who sadly didn't know better. I agree the father should really have been looking out, and he CERTAINLY should have felt some responsibility, but the truth is that kids disappear in a split second, and I've learned the amount of trouble they can get into in that seconds time is...impressive! My brother once managed to put an entire bottle of dish soap in the pool one time becase he wanted a huge bubble bath, and I swear he did it in the space of 5 seconds.
Sounds like the dad of this kid is a true piece of work, but I wonder....if the kid is young and didn't know any better, but has a fascination for the tank, would it be worth your while to have the kid over to "help" you set the tank up again? Seems like you'd be doing a lot of good from a bad situation....reviving your hobby, helping a young man learn the right way to care for these pets, and honestly, sounds like getting him away from his dad for a few hours to learn some real morals would be a GOOD thing.
anyway, just my 2 cents...

yeah I vote for letting the kid swim in the pool unattended not setting the tank back up... "buoyancy should have saved him... shucks better luck next time."

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2744821
Although I imagine the parents of this kid and perhaps the kid him/herself may feel just as bad over what happened to your tank, it's situations like these where I really grumble about why parents do not properly supervise their children in other peoples homes... stores, etc.
I'm sure many parents will be quick to point out that I lack a level of understanding because I myself do not have children, but I'm sorry... when I was young and we went to someone's house - especially one that was not child proofed - we were expected to behave ourselves, and things like horseplay or touching our hosts things without asking did not go unpunished. A different time... maybe... but I wasn't a kid that long ago. And rest assured, my kids will be taught to behave themselves.
My point is, you shouldn't HAVE to hide your fish food. That doesn't mean you shouldn't, but it's not your fault this happened. It's probably not even the kid's fault...
You can't raise other peoples kids.

I do hope he is never invited over again. That is a pretty ridiculous response on the father's part.