Would raw shrimp cause dust cloud?

foxthorn

Just setting up a new tank... After my southdown cloud calmed down I put in the sump one of those blue/white filter pads to catch the rest of the garbage that was floating around. This ran for a while and the water was very very clear.
I took the filter pad out and noticed as I did that it left a bunch of white particles in the water- looked like very fine filter pad material - I turned off the pump and tried to take out as much as I could with a net.
Then I put in two raw shrimp. The next morning the water looked cloudy with dust. I've read posts that say the water can get cloudy during your cycle. But looking at it - I think it's dust/particles from the filter pad? Can this be? I put a new pad in the sump and ran it for another 24 hrs but it is still not any clearer.
I also tried turning all the pumps off for a few hours... then all the 'dust' is just suspended in the water not moving giving the whole tank a cloudy appearance.
I'm getting my live rock tomorrow... not sure if I should clear up the dust first or continue with the cycle. ??ideas??

bang guy

Your sand will continute to cloud up until you get a bacterial coating on the individual grains. Once you add live rock this process will happen rapidly.
You only need one shrimp unless it completely rots and you're not ready for your first fish. I actually prefer to use flaked fish food to cycle. It gives a steadier and easier to control ammonia level.