Would removing the 2" plastic back strip help gas exchange?

njbillyv

I'm running a 75 FOWLR and I'm working on stabalizing the system so I can introduce some easy corals.
I now have a complete top cover (glass with that 2" plastic back piece), but I'm concerned about adequate gas exchange. I have good surface agetation, but the surface is covered. I also have a protein skimmer and a refugium and the fuge also has a "waterfall" into the return pump area.
So should I remover the 2" plastic back piece from the back of the top? Should I lose the cover completely and go with eggcrate (I'm a little concerned about salt creap everywhere)?
Any advice would be appreciated.

bang guy

If your skimmer is functioning well then that's going to deliver sufficient gas exchange. If you're having a CO2 issue then removing the strip would help a little but it would probably not be significant.

njbillyv

Thanks, always appreciate the advice.
Protein skimmer is running just fine. Although the chaeto I put into the refugium is not growing all that quickly, but it's only been a couple of weeks.
Would adding an air stone (or two) in the refugium help with gas exchange?

fau8

Do no remove the 2" black piece, your tank will fail. That surportit needed to prevent the tank sides from bowing out.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBillyV http:///t/390951/would-removing-the-2-plastic-back-strip-help-gas-exchange#post_3464831
Thanks, always appreciate the advice.
Protein skimmer is running just fine. Although the chaeto I put into the refugium is not growing all that quickly, but it's only been a couple of weeks.
Would adding an air stone (or two) in the refugium help with gas exchange?
Yeah, it would help. Is there enough food for the Chaeto? Heat speeds the growth up. Believe it or not, halogen lights grow Chaeto fast because they apply heat directly to the algae.

bang guy

If the skimmer is operating I strongly doubt there would be a lack of dissolved oxygen. Excess CO2 can be an issue though, especially in winter. The container of water outside PH test will quickly show if that's an issue.

bang guy

Acquire a sample of tank water and test the PH. Take the sample outside, stir it a bit and let it sit for 15 minutes. Stir again and then retest the PH. If the PH is significantly higher then there's a CO2 issue with the indoor air.

stdreb27

Not to create other issues, but if you're growing coral, your glass top will affect the light penetration for your corals. Depending on what you're growing, (if you're talking Kenya trees then it is no big deal) and the light you're using you may want to start thinking about removing the lid.

njbillyv

Right now I'm running 2 x 10,000K 65w CF, 2 x 65w Actinics, and moonlights. I don't plan on upgrading lighting right now. So I know it's going to limit my coral choices. I'm doing good with shrooms and think I'm going with either a Kenya Tree or a Green Star Polyp next. Given my lighting limitations, do you think going from a glass cover to eggcrate is a good idea?

njbillyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/390951/would-removing-the-2-plastic-back-strip-help-gas-exchange#post_3464869
Acquire a sample of tank water and test the PH. Take the sample outside, stir it a bit and let it sit for 15 minutes. Stir again and then retest the PH. If the PH is significantly higher then there's a CO2 issue with the indoor air.
Okay I did the test, I got 8.0 in the tank and 8.2 after it sat outside. My alk is low to, 9 dKH. I don't dose with anything now and do regular weekly water changes. So what would you suggest I do?

bang guy

No need to do anything in my opinion. If you want you could open a window for 15 mintes or so once a day. 8.0 and 8.2 are acceptable values but it does show your indoor air has a CO2 buildup.
Algae and limewater are two options for removing excess CO2 but I don't think you need to do anything.

njbillyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/390951/would-removing-the-2-plastic-back-strip-help-gas-exchange#post_3465045
No need to do anything in my opinion. If you want you could open a window for 15 mintes or so once a day. 8.0 and 8.2 are acceptable values but it does show your indoor air has a CO2 buildup.
Algae and limewater are two options for removing excess CO2 but I don't think you need to do anything.
It's those darn kids breathing all the time.
Thanks again!