Wow!!

nm reef

The big WOW!! is for me...I finally took the plunge after over a year of careful consideration and purchased a 3" Squamosa clam a few months ago. I was always concerned about my lighting(4x65 10k pc's & 2x110 vho's) and was worried that my system couldn't sustain one. Man am I glad I finally made the addition. This little dude has grown about an inch already and seems healthy. Tell me what ya'all think.....:cool:

wet bar

It's looking good! I love that color pattern...
Keep us updated, I am sure there are more than a few people (myself definitely included), that are nervous about buying clams.

rook

Looks good,
I love my squamosa clam. Your clam is open very good. Mine has been a bit stessed out lately as I just (about a month ago) switched from cc to dsb. I don't think they like the sand storms very much. Definately not as bad as a derasa clam, but he gets mad if sand gets stired up.

nm reef

Rook...mine doesn't seem affected by sand...I have a tomato clown that kicks a bunch up now and then. I've seen sand on my squamosa several times and its not bothered him much. But I am seriously considering removing the clown!! I'm getting really tired of his sand storms and landscaping!!:cool:

rook

I have a maroon clown (actually getting a second tomorrow, hopefully that pair up). Mean as hell but doesn't mess with the sand at all. Actually I believe tomato clowns are quite mean as well.
Also, my clam slams shut once in a while. Either to spit out its inners and clean them off, to move, or in irritation. Every day it is moved a little bit.
I used to try to keep it on liverock near the top of the tank, but it only likes to be on the substrate.

eugenecjr

That is a great looking clam. I think that I myself am going to have to take the plung pretty soon. They do make great additions.

attml

NMReef,
Looks very nice and healthy! I just bought a MH/VHO combo and one of the reasons why was to potentially keep clams. What are you feeding it and how often? Very nice!!

spsfreak100

Hey Cheerflip,
I personally don't think your tank could sustain a clam, esspecially with your current lighting. 20wts over a 50 gallon is hardly anything, which probably couldn't house a clam which is using its zooxanthellae. The larger clams get, the less they depend on using filter feeding. Clams around 3" or smaller seem to focus more on filter feeding than photosynthesis, and will need many regular feedings (I do not have any experience with filter feeding clams, therefor, someone else can chime in about that if they wish). I would wait off until you've upgraded to some better lighting before attempting any clam.
50 gallon salt water tank
20 watt 50/50 bulb
wet/dry filter
25 lbs live rock, 15 lbs base rock
crushed coral bottom
2 sebae clownfish
2 flame scallops
1 coral banded shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs
1 blue legged hermit crab
1 red legged hermit crab
10 baja hermit crabs
3 turbo snails
NM reef,
That's an exelent Squamosa clam! Very nice coloration!
Graham :)

nm reef

attml...I'll soon be adding a pfo dual 250 MH system running 65k Iwaski's. The pc's will be moved to another system and I'll keep my 2x110 vho actinics. Then my clam selection(and SPS) will continue to expand. As for feeding I did direct feed when I first added the squamosa with DT's in a seperate container. But only for the first 3 weeks...then it seemed healthy and acclamated enough to let it feed off the water column. I try to spray some liquid whemn I direct feed my LPS corals about once a week...but other than that he's on his own. Seems to be in good shape without direct feedings so I'll continue as is for now.
Mine moved a bit too for the first month...actually traveled from one side of my sand bed to the other...but it seems happy where it is now. I never tried to keep mine on the rock work. Everything I heard about squamosas indicated they prefer to be on the sand and can thrive in less intense lighting than other clams. Its proven true with mine so far. I'd also add that before ever attempting a clam of any type the system needs to be stable and mature...with stable water levels and well maintained calcium levels. Plus the lighting requiements of the clam needs to be properly addressed prior to considering adding a clam...squamosas are one of the few clams that can do well in anything less than MH lighting.

cmpowell

NM.Beautiful clam.I love the color.I'll bet that just intensified the look of your already beautiful reef.Hats off to ya for waiting and making sure you could keep him healthy and happy.:D ..Maybe some day i can keep one. Chris.:cool:

fishfood

I also got a Squamosa last November or so. I was worried at first even though i had a 175w mh over the tank. It was about 2 and a half inches. It has grown to over 3 inches now and looks great. I also added a 2 inch purple maxima and now have a 250w mh over the tank. I was afraid for the maxima becuase of having to feed it but i ended up never feeding it other then the dt that i put in the tank ever few days. He has put on two layers on the shell in a few months. Just the other day i got a new gold maxima that is all black with gold/silver lines & dots on it. Different looking clam. This one too is also 2 inches or smaller. So far so good. I have the first two on clam shells. They have attached to them and now i can move them where i want them, but i keep them on the sand. I got the idea from someone here. They seem to like it much better then just sitting on the sand.

rook

Any one ever take their clams out of the main tank, place them in a holding tank, and adding plakton to the holding tank and waiting for the clam to eat all of the plakton.
This is supposed to be the best way to feed them. A lot of work though.

attml

nmreef,
Thank you very much for the great info! Your MH system sounds almost exact to what I just bought except I am going to be running 10K ushios. As I start adding stuff I'm sure I'll be posting some pics being the picture nut that I am! Thanks again & take care!

nm reef

is that a blue fungia in the background? Is it just the camera and lighting playing a trick?
To the right is a plate and directly behind is a clove polyp.:cool:

rook

Short tenticle or long tenticle plate? I was considering getting a lont tenticle plate but since most people have very bad luck keeping them long term, I think I will look into something else.
How long have you had that?

jarvis

yes I am talking about the plate coral.....is it blue? I have 2 short tenical plate corals. one is green the other is purple with green tenicals. I have seen one that was a faded redish orange. but have never seen a blue one before. If they exist I want to get one.

nm reef

Its a short tentacle plate...sort of reddish/blueish...I've had it for well over 18 months. Its more than doubled in size and is in great shape. I know where I can purchase a couple of very healthy long tentacles but I have absolutely no place to fit them in.