xenia in fowlr

nycbob

i moved about 1 little piece 6 months ago from my reef. they r on my liverocks and backwall! this tank has been neglected compared to my reef.

Kinda funny, I have a coral beauty that doesnt touch my xenia at all. I have tons of it my tank to. I really need to frag it. Also to answer your question xenia attaches to just about anything. if you put it near the glass it will attach to it all by itself. Mine did anyways.

i know alot of people think xenia is like a weed, but i love it. sure, i have to cut half of it out of my tank and either donate it or flush it every month, but its so cool. i also really think it helps keep nitrates under control because when my xenia forrest is full, my nitrates stay at zero for months without a water change. within a few days of cuttomg a bunch of it out, i start seeing a very slight nitrate reading. as for getting it stuck to the walls, just place the rocks with the xenia right up against the wall. it will attach and soon the whole wall will be covered. very nice tank, btw

oceansidefish

I actually found 3 little heads of pulsing xenia last night in my tank...No Idea where they came from since I don't have any...I will have to wait and see how long it takes to get to that.

xenia is crazy in that if you leave ANY residue of the coral on the rocks or glass, it will grow back with enough time in good conditions. i have pulled stalks off of my rocks and it always comes back in the same place, unless its a smooth surface that i can scrub clean. months after throwing the main stalk out, i start seeing tiny pulsing heads poking out of the residue that was left behind. it starts as a carpet of little heads and then they slowly grow and branch out. pretty cool

spanko

Originally Posted by wakeboard3584
http:///forum/post/3020139
xenia is crazy in that if you leave ANY residue of the coral on the rocks or glass, it will grow back with enough time in good conditions. i have pulled stalks off of my rocks and it always comes back in the same place, unless its a smooth surface that i can scrub clean. months after throwing the main stalk out, i start seeing tiny pulsing heads poking out of the residue that was left behind. it starts as a carpet of little heads and then they slowly grow and branch out. pretty cool

Yup gotta actually dig the rock under it out with a screwdriver or sharp x-acto knife.

nycbob

thanx for the comments. the xenia just grew on the backwall. i do change water weekly or every 2 weeks. my reef. i'd do it every 3-5 days.

nycbob

just 5 gallon every 3-5 days for a 72 gallon. takes really 10 minutes max, since water is premixed already days in advanced. when u enjoy something, it doesnt feel like a chore.