Xenia is splitting ... how can I do a 'natural' move?

tjkohler

Well, my Xenia has almost tripled in size and has been splitting in the last couple of days. The section that is splitting is 'stepping off' the frag rock the main colony came on. I'd like it to attach to another frag and not my piece of LR the frag is on. I also don't want to cut and glue the Xenia either. I'm going to try to let nature do all it's own 'cutting' in my tanks, at least the nano. Can I do this, or will it just blow away as it completely 'steps' away from it's current rock frag?
I'm excited and my wife is actually encouraging now! I realize that Xenia grow like weeks even for novices, but this being my first reef and a nano ... I feel good.

tjkohler

I'm going to butcher the spelling of a couple of these, but I think you'll be able to look them up. All Kent products.
1) Iodine, added with my weekly water changes
2) Calcium, also added with my weekly water changes
3) Strontium & Molybdenum. added with my weekly water changes
4) A pH buffer, I forgot what brand though, also added weekly
Once a week I feed the tank this little concoction:
1) 1/2 inch cube of grocery shrimp
2) 1/2 cube of frozen brine shrimp
All soaked in Selcon and tank water for a couple hours
The Xenia has about tripled in size in a month and a half. My toadstool has gotten a little bigger (it was a frag) noticably in about 3 weeks.

javajoe

I started with one small colony, maybe 4 small stalks, and now have about 30-40 in my tank. What i have found is that if you place a small rock, or shell next to the xenias when they split, the stalk will attach, and then disconect from the main xenia. this will happen in 1-2 weeks. i don't recomend cutting, it doesn't really hurt anything, but you mentioned wanting nature to take its course... it will. Like you mentioned, they will eventually gtrow like weeds, the more frags you can make, teh more you have to take to you LFS to trade for other corals! as a suggestion, once you get it ont a rock, let it grow real big before taking it back-- even move it away from other rocks as it will try to climb and spread all over.. that way, when you bring the frags in to the LFS< they'll give you more :)
I usually sell my frags for $12-15 store credit.

bang guy

Originally posted by Javajoe
I usually sell my frags for $12-15 store credit.

What stores do you sell them to Joe?