xenia lighting question

sufunk

I just picked up a great piece of live rock from the lfs for my 36g. It has 9 nice xenia stalks and wanted to know what the best type of lighting is to get them to spread?? Ihave a 24' 50/50 20w coraline bulb in now. Any help would be appreciated

sin

well you should have at least 4 watts per gallon for soft corals and about 6 watts per gallon for hard corals

bronco300

well 20 w wont do much...i have 2x65W over my 20 gallon long....xenia dont need super intense lighting, but i think they need more than 20w in a 36

bronco300

current satellite has a 2X65W 24 in system...i personally like satellite fixtures...its what i have
i think 130 might be the highest PC for 24inches

sufunk

just an update, got coralife 30' 2x65w lights yesterday and the xenia's are so happy , theyre dancing

grumpygils

Originally Posted by sufunk
whats the highest watts you can get for a 24'?

I have 195 W PCs on my 20. 2 X 65 W COralife and another odysey 65 W strip.

bang guy

Originally Posted by sufunk
whats the highest watts you can get for a 24'?
You could get a 1000 watt MH system for a 24" tank, that would be overkill though ;)
There are 150 watt HQI systems available. They can be fairly cheap if you're handy and can put it together yourself.

waterpolo

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
You could get a 1000 watt MH system for a 24" tank, that would be overkill though ;)
There are 150 watt HQI systems available. They can be fairly cheap if you're handy and can put it together yourself.
Hey Bang Guy, do you know any good deals on VHO's for a 55 gallon tank that can support softies? Sorry about my question being random, I just want stronger lights and I was surely hoping this forum would have the answer.