Xenia not doing good???

chrisb430

For over a year i had some Xenia that i could not kill i moved and up graded my tank and everything. Now all of a sudden yesterday it stoped opening up and now i lost a colony and the rest are not doing good at all. not opening up not pulsing anymore. Any Ideas?
Water Pram
Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite 0PPM
pH8.3
AMMONIA 0 ppm
Phos .5 PPM
SG1.026
Thats all i could think to test for. These Pram are always the same Which is why i belive it could be something else. My other coral is doing good.

bang guy

When discussing Xenia the first parameter I want to know is Alkalinity. Next would be Calcium. You listed everything except these two parameters.

wilsonreef

You say you moved? How far, and for how long was the Xenia in bags or ?. Did you tear down the tank? Did you stir the sand in moving? The reason I'm asking is if you disturbed the sand bed (if you have one) you could cause a spike in just about everything, mostly phosphates. If you took the Xenia out of the tank and put them into bags or whatever, Xenia does not move well, even harder to ship. There are a lot of variables. I would give them a while to "spring back" and see what happens. It would be better if the P04 was lower.
Carl

chrisb430

I moved 1 months ago. I pretty much took all my stuff out of my 10 gal tank sand water rock everything i could and put it in my 20 long. Then i used RODI water from the LFS and used that to top off my tank. Let is cycle for a few days and then took all my coral Live rock in one bucket let it cycle for a few hrs. and same with the fish. did not lose a single pice of coral or fish in the move. coral were only out of water from the amount of time it takes to take it out of the tank into a bucket then out of the bucket into the tank so maybe 15 sec each time at most.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Chrisb430
http:///forum/post/3232591
is it worth me trying to test for iodine, and magnesium??
Not really. If it's not ALK or Ca then it's very difficult to diagnose. They don't require Iodine and if Mg was low your ALK would probably not be on the high end.
Any temperature swings? Any interuption in waterflow or anything out of the ordinary?

nycbob

xenia is a weird coral. u could hv the perfect parameters, and it wouldnt thrive. since u moved, i suspect the new water source could be the culprit. it doesnt mean the new water isnt good, just not ideal for xenia. r u using rodi water?

chrisb430

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3232643
Not really. If it's not ALK or Ca then it's very difficult to diagnose. They don't require Iodine and if Mg was low your ALK would probably not be on the high end.
Any temperature swings? Any interuption in waterflow or anything out of the ordinary?
I keep my tank at about 78-79 depending on the Time of day. The only thing i did was move it up about an inch. it was close to my sebae anemone and i did not want it to get stung. but that was about a week ago..

flower

Originally Posted by Chrisb430
http:///forum/post/3232983
I keep my tank at about 78-79 depending on the Time of day. The only thing i did was move it up about an inch. it was close to my sebae anemone and i did not want it to get stung. but that was about a week ago..

How old are your bulbs? Xenia is very light needy.

bang guy

I just remembered a colony of Heteroxenia I had several years ago. It melted inexplicably like you describe for no apparent reason. After studying the situation I began to think that the colony had grown to a point where it could no longer expand. That was my only thought.

chrisb430

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3233575
I just remembered a colony of Heteroxenia I had several years ago. It melted inexplicably like you describe for no apparent reason. After studying the situation I began to think that the colony had grown to a point where it could no longer expand. That was my only thought.
That's what it seams to be doing. Melting down to nothing. They don't pulse anymore... they don't even react to the lights being on.