Yay!! I got my first corals:D

lietz06

As stated above....yay!!!
My birthday is on Monday so I decided coral is what I wanted as a present from the g-parents. We drove a lil over an hour and a half down to el paso today (since there isn't annnything close to where I live as far as fish or corals go). I ended up picking three things out...I got a bit of gsp, green toadstool, & a nice hunk of zoas. Got em acclimated and threw em in. The zoos are opened already...the gsp is starting to open, but nothing from the toadstool yet, it was open while floating in the aquarium though! anyways...just thought I'd share my excitement

lietz06

Here's a pic of each of them...I took the pics on my cellphone camera so it doesn't do the color of the corals justice at all...but here they are...the gsp isn't open all the way and the toadstool hasn't started to open yet.

meowzer

LOL...your gsp is open more than my 1st one was....it took almost a week for me to see anything....
looks like you got 2 toadstools on that rock

lietz06

Really? Well that's good I guess...my dad's into corals and said don't be surprised if it doesn't take a couple of days for them to open. Ya, there is two on there, the guy said to cut in half and put them in different spots...but I'm okay with em stickin together. Do you know how quickly the zoas and toadstool spread? I guess it's probably one of those things that depends on your tank..but maybe a timeframe?

meowzer

I have no clue as far as time frames go, and YES it does depend on individual tanks....IDK when I would split the leathers, maybe wait till they open and see what they do

lietz06

it surprises me to, bc you have metal halide lights right? those are waaaay better than mine-I have pc lighting.

meowzer

YUP...My GSP...actually died :(....They got hair algae on them, and it smothered them...I tried to clean them off, but did not do a good enough job....

lietz06

Well that sucks...at least it's a relatively inexpensive coral...as far as corals go. I paid 35 bucks for that lil hunk I got...I think I got ripped off, but that's some of the lfs stores for ya! Have you ever gotten anymore?

meowzer

Not yet, I got some pink star polyps, but they are in my 29G, and really little
I will get some more gsp eventually

markw

My LFS had a piece of LR today that was maybe 7x5" that was completely covered with xenia today for $39.99!!!

Shame I dont have a tank up
. Someone bought it anyway while I was there.
Mark

A

abeandlulu

Sweet corals!! I have a GSP and it grows like crazy. I fragged a couple pieces a couple weeks ago and they have already doubled in size. Here is a pic of it. Good luck withyou new corals. And happy birthday

flower

Originally Posted by lietz06
http:///forum/post/3124526
Really? Well that's good I guess...my dad's into corals and said don't be surprised if it doesn't take a couple of days for them to open. Ya, there is two on there, the guy said to cut in half and put them in different spots...but I'm okay with em stickin together. Do you know how quickly the zoas and toadstool spread? I guess it's probably one of those things that depends on your tank..but maybe a timeframe?

Happy early B-day...split the toadstools they grow huge in a very, very short time.
GSP spreads fast, double in 2 weeks and you can put a rock against it and it will spread to that piece...blessing and a curse, so keep it groomed.
The zoas took a couple of months in my tank to double in size and are spreading nicely.

jas1

Happy B-Day!!!

My GSP was a little bigger than a softball when I got it (5 months ago) Now it's almost the size of a volleyball...!!! Durring transit a small piece broke off about the size of a quarter and now it's the size of a raquetball. Hope that helps on the timeline you asked for