Yellow Belly Hippo

spiderwoman

Is there any difference between a regular Hippo Tang and Yellow Belly Tang? I could get a Yellow Belly and wanted to do my research on this before. I've had a Hippo so am familiar with him.

t316

I don't think there's much difference (as far as species), but the yellow belly is very rare. The yellowish speckles will be faint on the smaller one's, and more visible as they get bigger. If you have an opportunity to get one...nice.

spiderwoman

So care wise there is no difference? Cool, my local coral *crack* house had 2 a few months ago and they went quickly. This time he has a medium size and is holding it for me.

t316

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2743944
So care wise there is no difference? Cool, my local coral *crack* house had 2 a few months ago and they went quickly. This time he has a medium size and is holding it for me.
...and something tells me that you are getting a steal on it

bill109

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2743944
and the price tag?

srfisher17

These are a regional color variety that come from Africa & The Maldives; maybe elsewhere in the Indian Ocean as well. One online dealer has small ones for about $70. Not long ago, they were about $150, if my memory is right.

stanlalee

I think the difference is about $50. I cant find my tang book but I think its just a geographical variance.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by cool clown
http:///forum/post/2746376
I have both and the yellow belly is more shy then the regular blue hippo.
I'd think this would just be an individual fish thing; geographical color varieties are very common and I've never heard of any behavioral differences.

spiderwoman

+1
That was my thought too. Each fish is an individual.. that's what makes it a such a guessing game when it comes to certain fish that are not reef safe, like Flame Hawks... some leave inverts alone and others will eat very expensive dinners :)

spiderwoman

The price for the Yellow Belly is either $55 or $65 depending on what the shipping was. He hasn't checked it yet. Like I said, this is his hobby and he is very reasonable. He brings a lot of corals directly from Australia for example and for example I got a large Elegance from him a few months ago and paid maybe half of what they go for small/medium size at LFS and online stores.

spiderwoman

Update: That little fellow is coming home with me on Saturday. He is healthy and active according to my LFS and I can't wait to bring him home. I wonder if I brought both of them home... my LFS has 2 of them and they are racing his tank together. Thoughts?
My QT just freed up this morning. Our new Midas Blenny did her time in the QT and I released her into the big tank. Cleaner shrimp went after her right away. I guess they had missed their little clients during the 8 weeks that the tank was empty.

t316

Spidey, are they medium? If so, go ahead and get both. If you have any problems, I'll take one.