Yellow Tang died-don't have a clue why?

cdavishb

Tank is 55 gal Fish ONLY. Up since January. 2 perc Clowns, healthy. Added a 45 days ago.
2 Damsels added 90 days ago. Tank cycled well. I was patient as this board instructs.
Water parameters are all good and have been very stable. Temp is 79- 80 degrees.
Added the tang w/ drip acclimation over 2 hours. Healthy and great for 6 days. Ate very well and was not picked on or being picked on. Acted a little shy when people approached the tank. Swam around very well. I did add 6 snails and 2 hermits at the same time.
On day 7 the fish seemed lethargic and was weak. Died later that night.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened?

joker_ca

Was his stomach pinched in? Also what are your water parameters?
sometimes they will just die because of the way that they are caught in the wild

cdavishb

Water parameters --Amonia-0; Nitrates and Nitrites--0; Ph -8.2; SG--1.023; Temp-79-80.
Stomach actually looked full. Fish seemed to eat a lot almost from the moment he got in the tank.

nm reef

Many times the method in which they are captured will cause problems and it is very possible that the shipping stress adversely affected it. There is always a risk involved in purchasing any marine livestock and unexpected or unexplained deaths will happen.

joedunegan

I had a Sohal and a yellow-eyed kole that just mysteriously died. No sign of sickness. Were just fine the night before.

sharkbait9

If a fish has a pinched in stomach that is a sign of improper harvesting techniques. Real quick, a pinched in stomach happens if/when they are collected by the diver they are often poisoned with arsenic, the way they make it is pretty simple but I won’t discuss that. Any way under water they either release a cloud of arsenic or use an underwater flash bang, crudely made out of soda bottles. What ever technique is used the fish become stunned or incapacitated. The fish are grab by hand and placed in a catch bag. Once the diver can no longer hold his breath they shoot to the surface for air, not caring about equalizing them self’s let alone the fish. As the fish rockets to the surface it’s float bubble pops or collapses or will expand pushing down on the internal organs pushing the stomach out of the mouth. Once on board the fish are check out and placed in buckets. If the stomach is hanging out or in the fish’s mouth it is pushed back down with a small twig. Fish that were in extreme concentration of arsenic or with close proximity of the bang bottle, the fish will often float on its side or have an unsteady gate/equilibrium often leading to death. Once the collection reaches land any fish that are dead are thrown over and the fish that appear to making a recovery are kept. These are the fish that often appear in good over all condition and often do not make it very long due to the stress of all that has happened. The reason I know this as fact as I me and my fiancé were diving and some locals were harvesting fish for commercial purposes and watched as they were doing this under water. When we got back on shore I and ask what they were doing and catching. That’s when we saw the atrocities of some scummy locals making money, and was given a run down of the techniques used to harvest tropical fish for commercial purposes. Fortunately the fish trade has come up with healthier way to harvest tropical fish, but some improperly caught fish still make the market. When I harvest any live critter underwater I use a slurp gun and when I equalize the critter gets to equalize. Very little stress involved with my techniques and I have never had a problem.

saltyreef7

I think a yellow tang needs lots of what it has in the wild to live. Lots of live rock and live sand...Tons of algea to eat all day long and they will thrive. Most people that lose yellow tangs do not have enough greens for them to graze on all day..... they need to graze on algea or seaweed all the time inorder to thrive......I add... by ocean nutrition a product called seaweed select.... more or less a natural dried alge product. My yellow tang loves it... A tang is always looking for algae to eat and when my tank has none to offer I add this.... It works for me!!!!! Im sorry you lost your Tang... but read up on them.... and try again..... Mike

sepulatian

I agree that the method of colecting the tang was probably the reason it died. Not through your own fault. I have a few tangs and the Hawiian are the most hardy. I feed spirulina flakes and they do well. I wish you luck on your next one (get another, they are beautifull!)

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by saltyreef7
I think a yellow tang needs lots of what it has in the wild to live. Lots of live rock and live sand...Tons of algea to eat all day long and they will thrive. Most people that lose yellow tangs do not have enough greens for them to graze on all day..... they need to graze on algea or seaweed all the time inorder to thrive......I add... by ocean nutrition a product called seaweed select.... more or less a natural dried alge product. My yellow tang loves it... A tang is always looking for algae to eat and when my tank has none to offer I add this.... It works for me!!!!! Im sorry you lost your Tang... but read up on them.... and try again..... Mike
I have had my yellow tang over a year in a 55 gal I bought it at the size of a dime, and its now a little over 3 inches tip of snout to end of tail. The tang eats formula one and two twice a week and gets a sheet of green or red seaweed twice a week. My tang has never showed signs of ick, pinch stomach, fin rot or blood under the surface of the skin (forget what that’s called) snout is in tact and has never been raw or degenerated, Hole in head syndrome. So, if you want another one, you now know some signs to look for in a healthy specimen.

saltyreef7

Wow! you bought a tiny one!!! I got mine at about 4 inches, he is the ruler of the tank and the last fish I bought. He is still doing great and grazes all day on the live rock. I think when buying a yellow tang from the lfs take your time with him make sure he is eating if he looks skinny look around. I too am very pissed off about some third world countries that use arsinic to stun fish and catch them, and only to die months later. If you have a good tank and introduce a healthy tang you will have no problems.....and remember to add a cleaner shrimp they love to eat parisites off fish.... My tang visits the cleaner about two to three times a day... its amazing to watch but the cleaner will climb all over the tang as if giving him a bath!!! And the Tang loves it!! fOR THOSE PEOPLE WORRIED ABOUT THEM GETTING ICH.........Stop worring and enjoy just be careful what you put in your tank....MAKE sure ITS Healthy!!!

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by saltyreef7
Wow! you bought a tiny one!!! I got mine at about 4 inches, he is the ruler of the tank and the last fish I bought. He is still doing great and grazes all day on the live rock. I think when buying a yellow tang from the lfs take your time with him make sure he is eating if he looks skinny look around. I too am very pissed off about some third world countries that use arsinic to stun fish and catch them, and only to die months later. If you have a good tank and introduce a healthy tang you will have no problems.....and remember to add a cleaner shrimp they love to eat parisites off fish.... My tang visits the cleaner about two to three times a day... its amazing to watch but the cleaner will climb all over the tang as if giving him a bath!!! And the Tang loves it!! fOR THOSE PEOPLE WORRIED ABOUT THEM GETTING ICH.........Stop worring and enjoy just be careful what you put in your tank....MAKE sure ITS Healthy!!!

I want to get a pic of my three fish doing that (yellow tang, koran, and hippo, not so much with my hippo) they all line up like a car wash. The cleaner shrimp just climbs going in a circle around them backwards over each fish. They also line up when they see the silver package of green and purple algae sheets get cut, reminds of the seals at sea world the way they line up and sit on the deck of the tank. Yes I buy all my fish as small as I can get them, yeah I take a chance with getting small fish but at least with small fish I can have a chance to enjoy the fish for a while and watch them grow up and then leave home, hence the name under my avatar "tang criminal"

sumpdiver

Taking fish with a slurp gun can cause injury also; the suction is hard on their eyes. Experinced scuba divers can use these devices safely and gently, but free divers are more rushed for time and often injure their prey. The best way to ensure marine fish are not harmed is to buy tanked rasied fish only.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by SumpDiver
Taking fish with a slurp gun can cause injury also; the suction is hard on their eyes. Experinced scuba divers can use these devices safely and gently, but free divers are more rushed for time and often injure their prey. The best way to ensure marine fish are not harmed is to buy tanked rasied fish only.
Well no problems for me using my slurp. And if it's between a concussion bomb/device or arsenic, I'll use my slurp.

murph

Shark thats a pretty good description of what I believe to be the more common capture methods. IMO that or something similar should be stuck to the top of the new hobbyist section.
Its sometime difficult to see those new to the hobby struggling for answers to fish deaths blaming themselves when in reality a large portion of wild caught specimens are doomed from the beginning. Add some sloppy handling and poor holding tank conditions on there way to the retailer and chances of survival go even further in the tank. (no pun intended).
A vary good post shark and if you have been reading any of mine lately you know that I am having a hell of a time finding quality fish stock for additions I have made tank wise to my system. As of yesterday I finished moving all my soft corals to 75 gall addition and its really quite stunning though fish less. I think the corals are the only thing keeping me firmly in the hobby at this point.
That would also be my advice to new comers. Spend the money on some good lighting, emphasis on corals and forget about any fish but those bred and raised in captivity. If more of us do this the industry in general will have no choice but to clean up its act when it comes to these capture and handling methods.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Murph
Shark thats a pretty good description of what I believe to be the more common capture methods. IMO that or something similar should be stuck to the top of the new hobbyist section.
Its sometime difficult to see those new to the hobby struggling for answers to fish deaths blaming themselves when in reality a large portion of wild caught specimens are doomed from the beginning. Add some sloppy handling and poor holding tank conditions on there way to the retailer and chances of survival go even further in the tank. (no pun intended).
A vary good post shark and if you have been reading any of mine lately you know that I am having a hell of a time finding quality fish stock for additions I have made tank wise to my system. As of yesterday I finished moving all my soft corals to 75 gall addition and its really quite stunning though fish less. I think the corals are the only thing keeping me firmly in the hobby at this point.
That would also be my advice to new comers. Spend the money on some good lighting, emphasis on corals and forget about any fish but those bred and raised in captivity. If more of us do this the industry in general will have no choice but to clean up its act when it comes to these capture and handling methods.

Thank you. I agree it is important for newbie’s to know that not all fish are captive breed, with the majority of fish still to this day are wild caught. The death of a fish is not always the keepers fault. I/we were just fortunate or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it, to see for our selves the techniques used to capture fish. A lot of fish are now caught with corral nets (big circle nets) filled with enticements. Each fish is harvested with specimen nets and placed in its own little container, brought up to the surface slowly allowing the fish time to equalize itself by divers in scuba gear not free divers. I read a great article on this subject and how the industry itself has no standards for harvest, only now since the 2000 has a pre standard of harvest become the norm. Yet, stressful harvest techniques are still in practice today. To sit on any message board and preach that “one should only purchase captive breed fish is ignorant, ignorant in the fact that not all fish are captive breed and that will drastically lower the specimens to be kept. Not all fish reproduce in captivity, more research is still needed. I highly doubt any one who keeps any fish would argue that enough is know about aquatic husbandry. Getting back on the subject, any situation out of the norm is stressful on fish, even every day occurrences are stressful to certain fish. It’s an unfortunate situation with “tangs” but tangs are highly susceptible to stress and illness that coincide with stress. Pretty much every one who keeps saltwater fish learn early on that tangs are not a fish to be introduced to a new set up, but people new to this get an early and hard lesson on it. As to coral or fish keeping, not all corals are turn key. Even mushrooms as hardy as they are, I have seen with my own eyes the misfortune they come to with the unaware keeper. All corals have a special needs that must be maintained or under failure will arise. Fish keeping should really be the first step before advancing to coral husbandry. Honestly, if a person can not keep corals, odds are they are not going to achieve success with corals. Yes, there are the rare occasion when a keeper does have better success with corals then fish. For the most part, they are just setting them selves up for failure unless the tank has time to mature. Lets be honest, not to many people have the patients or the wherewithal to allow a tank to mature to the level it needs to be before corals of any sort can be introduced. Very few people know or fail to realize that certain corals do benefit from fish living in the same tank. Certain corals take nutrient from waste of fish. With all this being said, in my opinion no fish coral should be kept with out research, study and honesty about one’s set up

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by sleasia
sharkbait...sorry about your yellow tang? where did you buy it?
What? ............wait.... No not me, my tangs are fine. cdavish lost his tang. I was just commenting on the harvesting technique me and my fiancé saw when we were on vacation scuba diving. My tangs are alive and kicking with a vengeance, but thanks for your concern. My yellow tang and Koran were bought on line, my hippo was bought up on rt 1 at animals and things special order.

sleasia

cdavish...it was probably sick to begin with, like everyone has been saying, because of collection techniques. But another possibility is that wherever you bought the fish may have been keeping it in low salinity in the store. Did you check the bag water's salinity before acclimating. The reason I say this is many stores keep the fish in very low salinity. I was surprised to find the butterflies I bought a month or so ago came in bag water which was 1.017 salinity...Had I not acclimated them to a qt which I adjusted to 1.017 and instead acclimated them to my main tank which is 1.025, they probably would have died...This seems to be a very widespread problem.

murph

Shark; if you happen back along this thread do me a favor in any other responses to this or others. As you type along every three or four sentences hit the enter key. Like this.
I like reading your post and you seem to be a well informed hobbits but they are difficult to read when its all one long..........
Paragraph.