yellow tang - died of unknown causes...

timbodmb

Hey guys-
I bought one of SWF's yellow tangs when they were on special... remember the 1" little tangs? well, I had him for about 4 months and noticed that he didn't grow much... He ate healthy, however never gained any weight- he always looked emaciated to me. well, long story short, last night, I found my hippo tang dragging him around by his tail- I was able to quarantine him in a breeding cage, but needless to say, he didn't make it.
By what I've described, is there a condition in fish which make it hard for them to gain weight? Should I be concerned about other fish in the tank?
Last week I introduced a golden headed sleeper goby which I bought online through SWF- he only made it 2 days before being picked off by a crab (most likely sick already)- could this have caused the downfall of my baby tang?
I also noticed when I took him out of the tank that I could see red veins along his dorsal fins and underbelly... is this signs of a parasite?
Thanks for all of your help... I'm a bit discouraged this morning-
Tim

florida joe

Intestinal paristies, worms all of which could have gone unnoticed and although your fish was eating it was starving to death. The red lines IMO are most likely a sign of a secondary bacterial infection

timbodmb

Thanks for your help with this Joe- your article was great... however, how am I to know if this was potentially the cause? I'm watching the behavior of my other fish to be indicative of problems... oddly enough, I had noticed all of the inhabitants hiding for the past coulple days- finally last night the tang showed signs of stress and eventually died. What I'm still not clear on after reading the "worms" post is if I should be concerned with the other fish... I guess I will continue to watch closely- tonight I will freshly press some garlic and treat their mysis before feeding... anything else precautionary?
Once again, thanks for all of your insight!