Yellow tang in 55 gl

bubblegurl

over the last 2 weekends, we,ve added in a few new fish, additional bangaii cardinal, starry blenny, coral beauty and flame angel. The tang is going after the blenny and coral beauty and my purple dotty back has gone after the cardinal and has actually nipped at her bottom tail fin, removing most of it. The tang is mostly whipping his tail at the other fish and he seems to be backing down a bit. Ive read these fish should all be fine together, is it just the order I've added them in? I've made arrangements with an lfs to take the tang when he gets bigger, will this settle or does he need to go now? The poor cardinal is just getting picked on and is hiding. My other cardinal is fine, tang doesn't bother with her.

bubblegurl

He purple dotty back is actually quite mean to the cardinal, she wants to come out but the db keeps chasing her back in the corner. The db does not bother my other cardinal at all, but they were introduced at the same time. What should I do?? The cardinal is smaller than my other one, I picked her up because These fish do better together but I think this was a mistake.:cry:

bubblegurl

yellow tang. I watching the yellow tang this morning and he doesn't do much other than whip his tail in the other fishes faces. The dottyback is just mean to the cardinal, like stalks her. The DB isn't going after any of the other new fish.

meowzer

I'm surprised you aren;t having issues with the coral beauty and flame angel
I think you may have too many fish.....what is in there all together???
As I said earlier....Dottybacks are MEAN

mproctor4

We have never had a problem with two dwarf angels together as long as they are added at the same time.
I agree with Meowzer, a 55 is too small for that many fish.

mproctor4

There isn't an exact formula for how many fish you can have in a tank. It depends on many factors. Why don't you start by listing exactly what you have in the tank and which fish you really want to keep the most. Also, how long has your tank been set up? That seems like a lot to add in 2 weeks to a 55gal unless it is very well established.

bubblegurl

I've got too many.
2 bangaii cardinals
1 yellow tang
1 blue green chromis
1 purple dotty back
1 starry blenny
1 flame angel
1 coral beauty
I've got 2 clowns on order
That makes 10 fish. I went out looking for 2 black clowns, ended up with the blenny and cardinal. This weekend, one of the boys wanted a fish, couldn't decide so we picked up the angels. I was concerned at that time and asked the lfs about it. He's one of my favorites when he said ok I got them both.
Tank is young 6 months.
How many should I take back?

mproctor4

I would start by taking back the yellow tang for sure. Personally, if the angels get along I would keep them, they add alot of color (alot of controversy with angels). If they aren't getting along, pick your favorite. I've never been a huge fan of the cardinals either, they don't move around and interact alot. I love my dottyback but some do get very aggressive. Chromis are usually schooling fish. I would either take the one back or get rid of enough fish that you could have at least 3 of them. Definately hold off on the clowns until you have a plan for the tank. If it were me, I would take back the tang, 2 cardinals, blue chromis, and the dottyback if it didn't behave (it might with the cardinals gone). I would keep the angels, blenny, dottyback, and 2 small clowns. Even that is a pretty big bioload for your tank.
What fish do YOU like? What direction are you wanting your tank to go in? 10 SMALL fish in a 55 isn't unheard of, but when you throw in a tang and a couple of angels I think your pushing your limits.

bubblegurl

I want a reef tank with fish. I've got a few corals as well. The tang has been in the tank for a few months, bought him to help with algae. I've known I would have to find a new home from the beginning and have just been keeping an eye on him.
History with fish and where we are at. Started with 3 clowns, 2 chromis. First clown died within a month, second a week later and the third jumped out of the tank 2 weeks ago. 1 chromis died within days of adding to the tank. So we added in the tang and cardinal and dotty back at the same time. 4 fish all fine.
I would like to keep the angels, they went in together. The chromis is fun and would like to keep, the cardinals-I'm ok to take them back, not sure they will take back the little one now that she's been damaged. The blenny is awesome, the dotty back is surprising me with picking on the cardinal, want the clowns so worried about whether they would get picked on too.
Your return list works though, thank you! I guess I can have as many corals as I want but fish are limited! Bf says get a bigger tank....argh!

mproctor4

LOL...hate to tell you but I agree with your BF. I have a 120g and would love a bigger tank, just not the expense of it right now. It will take a long time, but you could have to many corals....they do sting each other if too close.
Just keep in mind that some angels will pick on corals. We have had a few angels and none of them have bothered the corals but keep an eye on them. There is definately a chance the dottyback will pick on the clowns. I can't imagine the LFS won't take the cardinals back, esp. if they were the ones to give you bad advice and they want you to come back. What are they going to do if you leave the fish in a bag on their counter, let it die?? I doubt it. If they give you a hard time you could post them on a local reef forum or craigslist but if the dottyback is hurting the cardinal you will probably want it out ASAP. Often it is just trial and error to see which fish get along. Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide.
Maybe some others will chime in here with their thoughts?

bubblegurl

Oh, we've been talking about bigger, would love a120 but it seems so complicated and overwhelming. Just starting out, so thought ok will learn with this one and go bigger eventually. I knew enough about certain fish not to get because of the tank size so while nice to look at in the stores, off limits. I didn't know about dotty backs and it's been fine till now. The coral beauty I didn't know was an angel so I didn't think they would be a problem. I never thought about number of fish in the tank, was just told not to add a bunch at one time.
I have 6 corals right now, nowhere near each other, the angels haven't bothered them....yet.

kiefers

Hi there, going to bed after this but i feel it necessary to inform you of the way I try to pick my critters. Usually, I try to get the most peaceful fish first. Royal gramma, clown(s), blenny and so on. Then I go for the critters that do display aggressivness last. Typically, the Dottybacks and some wrasses like the six line, should be the last introduced into the tank. Territories have been established so the DB's and wrasse will have to compete and comply.
In most cases this works out fine. However on another note, sorry to tell ya, the yellow tang does need to go. It will out grow your system and get aggresive and stressed. A stressed
Tang will be an aggresive Tang and then a sick Tang.
I would recommened the following......
1) Two Clowns
2) Chromis's (they are nice.... maybe some reef chromies? these need to be kept in schools of odd numbers. 3 would be a good number
3) 1-2 dwarfs, if these two are getting along...... keep them
And that is it.... even this is a bit an overload. If you like the dotty backs...... get it last and thats it
JMO here

bubblegurl

The tang and the dotty back are going tonight. I posted on a local forum and had a ton of responses. The angels are fine and don't seem to be bothered by each other. The tang is already showing aggression so it's time. I didn't realize the dotty back would be aggressive, it's a pretty fish but I don't like it picking. The cardinal is nowhere near where the db hangs out, yet it continues to harass it.
Thanks all for the feedback. My boys were asking what fish are next, told them that's it. No more fish. Maybe in a bigger tank one day!