Yellow Tang Question

big pat

My yellow tangs color has faded. I have read that this could be from poor nutrition, and that's exactly what I think is causing this to my yellow tang. The problem is he won't come out to eat. He always hides when you go near the tank so it's impossible to get him to eat. He will eat his algae off of the clip when you are not by the tank. He has been like this for as long as I have had him, which is about a year. My water parameters all tested fine. Any suggestions to what I can do to make him come out and eat?

rcoultas

You may want to try some garlic extreme as it is very helpful in getting fish to eat - as far as him coming out while you are there... that will come in time as it gets used to your presence - try putting the food in and then sitting back a couple of feet from the display. Also, are there other tankmates? If he is there alone then his paranoia will likely continue for quite some time. With other tankmates he will see that it is "safe to go outside".

big pat

I already use garlic guard and I sit a few feet back after placing food in the tank. He still doesn't come out and eat very much. Yes, there are 5 tankmates.

fishn808

Originally Posted by Big Pat
I already use garlic guard and I sit a few feet back after placing food in the tank. He still doesn't come out and eat very much. Yes, there are 5 tankmates.
What are his other tank mates? This could be a territorial issue perhaps, and afraid to come out.

big pat

His tankmates are 1 percula clownfish, 2 pajama cardinalfish, and 2 yellowtail blue damselfish. He's not afraid of any of his tankmates, so I don't think this has anything to do with territory. All of the fish get along pretty well.

N

nereef

hiding every time you go near the tank isn't normal behavior for a fish that's been around for a year. what is the size of this tank?

eggs

The tank is 75 gallons. The damsels are small and peaceful, they are definately not the problem.
Don't be to sure on this. I would agree with DragonZim. Damsels make look harmless, but ...

dragonzim

He is being stressed by something and the only things that can be doing it are the damsels, poor water quality or the fact that a 75 gallon tank is really too small for a tang.

big pat

Although, my water parameters seem to be fine, my test kit might be inaccurate and that might be the problem. Because is sure isn't the damsels or the size of the tank, he is still small.

dragonzim

Just out of curiosity, how do you know for sure its not the damsels? They are known for being incredibly aggressive little fish.

big pat

Because I actually observe my fish, the damsels don't chase any of the fish. Actually the yellowtail blue damselfish is one of the least aggressive members of the Chrysiptera genus.

sepulatian

Because I actually observe my fish, the damsels don't chase any of the fish. Actually the yellowtail blue damselfish is one of the least aggressive members of the Chrysiptera genus.
If you have had this YT for a year and he will not come out and be the first one in line for food then something is seriously wrong. They have a bold personality. I do not believe that damsels could terrorize this type of fish. Do you have pictures of this fish?

sepulatian

I have had them and Yellow tails are no angels by any means. I had two and they terrorized everyone that they could.

crazyaqua

Yeah that is definitely weird for a tang not to be the first to eat they are major pigs i cant get mine to stop eating.

big pat

My yellow tang was in a tank with a very aggressive 6" lunar wrasse at the pet store before I got him. Could this be the reason he is such a pansy?

big pat

My yellow tang was in a tank with a very aggressive 6" lunar wrasse at the pet store before I got him. Could this be the reason why he is such a pansy?