Yellow Tang with HLLE and bacterial infection

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Maracyn Two is the correct treatment, mkroher. Did you order it?
Adurost, you can keep the existing filter. The filter pads add some biological activity. The airstone is totally pointless. You need powerheads for water movement.

mkroher

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3127070
Maracyn Two is the correct treatment, mkroher. Did you order it?
Adurost, you can keep the existing filter. The filter pads add some biological activity. The airstone is totally pointless. You need powerheads for water movement.
No I did not. The medication says it treats the disease with the red blotches (I forgot the name).
At 9pm tonight he's done with the medication. I was going to move him to the DT regardless of his condition. I don't want to keep him in the QT much longer without nitrifying bacteria. I'm sure the medication killed all the gram-negative bacteria in the CC.
I will order Maracyn-Two Beth. When do you think I should QT him again? I don't want to stress him out by throwing him back in the QT so soon. Should I wait a while? This morning, he had two small red spots on his back.
Thanks Beth.

mkroher

Hrmm.. browsing products at a website:
Furan2

[hr]
Active ingredients: Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone
Maracyn-Two -- Active ingredient: Minocycline
Didn't you suggest using Nitrofurazone Beth?

adurost

mkroher - Thanks for sharing, it made me feel a little better to know that I'm not the only one having problems! I had tried reseating the tube and tapping the filter but it still didn't start, so I'm glad that I got a new one.
Beth - I understood that the bubbles produced by the air stone broke the surface of the water thereby facilitating a better gas exchange. If this isn't the case, why is a battery-operated back-up pump (w/air stone) advocated for emergencies/power outages?
I didn't add more Nitrofurazone last night, but I didn't put the carbon filter back in to completely remove the medication from the water either. The Maracyn 2 I ordered should be here today or tomorrrow. Should I run the carbon filter for a day or two and then start treatment with Maracyn 2? Also, I am curious about your thoughts about this info I found on the web....

adurost

MINOCYCLINE:
USE: Minocycline hydrochloride, also known as Minocycline, is a member of the broad spectrum tetracycline antibiotics, and has a broader spectrum than the other members, especially as to gram negative bacteria. Minocycline is also synthetic whereas Tetracycline Hydrochloride and Oxytetracyline are naturally occurring. It should also be noted that Minocycline maintains serum levels 2-4 times that of most other tetracyclines (150 mg giving 16 times the activity levels compared to 250 mg of Tetracycline Hydrochloride at 24-48 hours).
It has excellent anti-inflammatory properties which makes it a good choice for septicemia, although for Viral Septicemia there is no effective treatment, only prevention. Minocycline is also effective for fin/tail rot and OCCASIONALLY pop eye and is sometimes suggested for dropsy. However as for Dropsy I strongly recommend against this as this antibiotic can cause severe kidney damage.
Minocycline is skin absorbed like Kanamycin (although not as well) which can increase effectiveness. It is also nontoxic to invertebrates but should not be used in Marine aquaria.
Minocycline, like Tetracycline, becomes dangerous past its expiration date. Minocycline can be more toxic over time. Minocycline (like other Tetracyclines) is easily absorbed by calcium, making this a poor choice for saltwater or high GH freshwater aquariums (such as African Cichlids, livebearers), in these cases Kanamycin is the better choice.
This point is often missed by well meaning aquarists (often in many forums that love to recommend Maracyn-2), Maracyn–Two (Minocycline) is a good product when used in the right conditions for the right problem (of which it is relatively wide spectrum), the problem is that most aquariums I have either encountered or have read the water parameters for have too high of minerals (GH over 200) for Minocycline to be truly effective, in fact there in lies the problem in that often these minerals that render Maracyn Two less effective IMPROVE the fish’ natural ability to fight disease.
With these points in mind, generally the ONLY aquaria I recommend Minocycline in are Amazon River tanks such as Discus Aquariums.
DOSAGE: Maracyn-Two is the primary source for this anti-biotic, follow directions given by Mardel (manufacturer of Maracyn –2)
KANAMYCIN SULFATE
(Kanaplex)
ABOUT/ USE: An easily absorbed antibiotic, it is used to treat many sensitive gram–negative and some gram–positive bacteria. Kanamycin is a water-soluble aminoglycoside antibiotic that is derived from the bacterium Streptomyces kanamyceticus and has a very low adsorption rate in the intestine of animals including fish. Aminoglycosides work by binding to the bacterial 30S ribosomal subunit, causing misreading of t-RNA, leaving the bacterium unable to synthesize proteins vital to its growth. Aminoglycosides such as Kanamycin are especially useful in infections involving aerobic gram-negative bacteria such as Columnaris.
Kanamycin works especially well in salt water aquariums. Kanamycin works well combined with (& compliments) Nitrofurazone for flexibacter (Columnaris). Also useful for Pseudomonas-Open red sores or ulcerations, fin and tail damage, fins and tail are eaten away, in severe cases, down to the body. Kanamycin is very effective in high pH applications, especially Vibrio, making it useful for brackish and marine treatments. Kanamycin is easily absorbed skin absorbed, making it an excellent choice for systemic infections.
Kanamycin is one of the more effective broad spectrum antibiotics available with recent test showing it to surpass the Tetracycline class antibiotics in cultures including Minocyline (found in Maracyn 2), although Kanacyn has been also been shown in these studies to be even more effective when combined with other antibiotics such as Nitrofurazone or Tetracyclines for a “super” antibiotic effect.
Kanamycin can also be used for aquatic Tuberculosis, although Isoniazid is often the drug of choice, both can be used together as Isoniazid seems to affect certain active TB bacterium whereas Kanamycin has often different TB activity effectiveness.
I personally have found this to be one of the more effective antibiotics available (similar properties to Chloramphenicol, although still not as effective as Chloramphenicol which is no longer available in the aquarium trade).
DOSAGE: 250-500 mg per 20 gallons. Treat every 48 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days. Kanamycin is found in: SeaChem; Kanaplex

adurost

Update 9/2/09 1:15pm: YT appears less reddish, is more active, and is eating nori from veggie clip.

mkroher

My YT is back in the DT. He looks a little better, still a few red spots, swimming around like he should, eating like a pig like always.
I'm going to give him a week or two to see if the red spots go away. I'll try Maracyn-Two next.

adurost

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3127282
I have been following this thread...so I have this to say...YAYYYY
Thanks for the encouragement!!
Originally Posted by mkroher

http:///forum/post/3127389
My YT is back in the DT. He looks a little better, still a few red spots, swimming around like he should, eating like a pig like always.
I'm going to give him a week or two to see if the red spots go away. I'll try Maracyn-Two next.
Awesome! I'm going to wait a few more days before moving my YT. (Really I'm hoping that Beth will have time to read and reply to questions in my last couple of posts before I have to do anything else!!)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Leave the fish in the QT. Do small water changes to deal with water quality.
In the meantime, continue treatment with Nitrofurazone until the M2 arrives. Once M2 arrives, run the carbon filter for 1/2 day, then begin the M2 treatment. Do small water changes just before each redose.
Its a good antibiotic, but I like the M2 a lot better, especially the SW variety. Seems to work much better.
Be sure to add FRESH garlic soaked in meaty fish food to the treatment. Fresh garlic, not bottled garlic.
As for the airstones, yes, living in hurricane zones I have used them during emergencies and they have worked, but use of this is only when nothing else is available. An airstone can do very little to oxygenate surface water, and next to nothing to pull water from the lower levels of the tank up to the surface to get oxygenated. You need a powerhead.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by mkroher
http:///forum/post/3127097
Hrmm.. browsing products at a website:
Furan2

[hr]
Active ingredients: Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone
Maracyn-Two -- Active ingredient: Minocycline
Didn't you suggest using Nitrofurazone Beth?
My first choice is Maracyn Two, but since all adurost had was the nitro, then he went with that.