Yes I will do a search, but jsu looking for some quick info.

skinchini

I am waiting for my Coralife Biocube 29 to arrive and am blown away with all the different opinions on bioballs, refugium, steralizers and the like, I read all the same for the JBJ and others. For a basic tank with about 8 fish a few soft coral and live rock and sand with the standard shrimp and crab cleaners is anything other than stock needed? Thank you for your input.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinchini http:///t/395348/yes-i-will-do-a-search-but-jsu-looking-for-some-quick-info#post_3519550
I am waiting for my Coralife Biocube 29 to arrive and am blown away with all the different opinions on bioballs, refugium, steralizers and the like, I read all the same for the JBJ and others. For a basic tank with about 8 fish a few soft coral and live rock and sand with the standard shrimp and crab cleaners is anything other than stock needed? Thank you for your input.
Hi...
You will not get 8 SW fish in a 29g tank
(AKA: Nano tank). A 29g is a very tiny SW tank. A 29g will hold about 4 SMALL SW fish. When it comes to SW tanks, the larger the tank is, the easier it is to keep. A nano tank has no wiggle room for error. A good beginner tank is more like a 55g to a 75g. that does not mean you can't do a 29g but you certainly can't fill it to the brim with fish either. SW fish are extremely territorial, and when you start crowding them, fights to the death, and decease break out as a result.
All the filter systems work (EXCEPT under gravel ones) It's all a matter of preference. A refugium is awesome to help keep phosphates and nitrates down if you keep macro-algae in it. UV sterilizers are IMO, a waste of good money.
One must have you missed on equipment, is the power head...the wave is the life of the ocean, and your SW tank. The next MUST have are lab type
test kits.

skinchini

Got both the wave and test kit already as well from what I have read that are a must. Most of what I have read in a few books even ones mentioned is to select the fish according to temperament and ability to play well with others. Many other other resources state 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. I have six selected and some cleaners but that is about all I want.

snakeblitz33

I'm kinda on the side of flower - four small fish is about as much as you would want to go in 30g of water. one inch of fish per gallon is an absolute crazy number, even for saltwater fish.
Let us know what six fish you selected...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinchini http:///t/395348/yes-i-will-do-a-search-but-jsu-looking-for-some-quick-info#post_3519605
Got both the wave and test kit already as well from what I have read that are a must. Most of what I have read in a few books even ones mentioned is to select the fish according to temperament and ability to play well with others. Many other other resources state 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. I have six selected and some cleaners but that is about all I want.
One inch of fish is not a good gage for SW fish at all, it almost is a rule of thumb for FRESHWATER fish ...but not a wise one. Unless you want tiny nano fish...6 is too much, and also remember you are buying baby fish that need room to grow, so that 2 inch fish you buy today will grow to 3 or 4 inches when mature. So whatever you select, make sure of the adult size, not the size of the fish you buy.
Here is a really great book to get to help you make your selection:

Here is a page so you can see the info it offers:

rlablan

I have to agree here.
There is no way you will be keeping a good, healthy, pleasant tank with 6 fish at 29gals.
I had a 60 gallon that had 7 fish in it and they are all small fish that are mature at about 3 inches. I recently upgraded them all to a 150 and have only added 2 more fish. I still have a little bit of fighting and such.
You will end up wasting your money but more important is that health and well being of the fish. They will be unhappy and as a result will die/fight/jump. Your tank parameters will be all over the place and instead of having a great hobby to enjoy, you will end up with a mess of a tank that you will never be happy with unless you except what is possible and what is not.
I will say there are those who push the envelope and those who succeed in doing so. Those who succeed are the minority. Those who succeed are generally very well versed in the hobby and have a lot of experience.
If you want to enjoy this hobby for a long time and grow as an aquarist, *accept help, go slow, and learn from other's mistakes. It will save you so much time and energy. Honestly.
Happy reefing!
*Thanks Dude. It was clearly past my bedtime when I wrote this up :)

snakeblitz33

Except -> accept?
She is right you know. Most people who keep a large amount of fish in one tank generally have the experience and knowledge to do so. As a new hobbyist, you would be settin yourself up for failure.

bang guy

Quote:Originally Posted by skinchini http:///t/395348/yes-i-will-do-a-search-but-jsu-looking-for-some-quick-info#post_3519605

Can you show me where you read "1 inch of fish per gallon of water" for a saltwater aquarium? I would like to scold them for setting people up to fail.
Which fish have you selected? It is possible to keep 6 fish in a 29 gallon but you would have to be very careful to only buy small docile fish like Clown Gobies and Barnacle Blennies.

jay0705

I can't rem where but I have read 1" per gallon. Its crazy. So many people tell me saltwater is so hard and too much work. Its really not if it's done rt. W that kinda info I c why people think its hard.

jay0705

Iam not a reefer. That seems like it could b tough. But general marine tanks "fowlr" are not that bad. Its gotten so much easier these days.

rlablan

I feel like it's the same with reef keeping. You need some different equipment with corals and inverts but other than that... It's as tough as you wanna make it.
Personally, I keep the easy to intermediate corals. I don't want to spend the money on the tougher corals and also, they are a lot more maintenance when it comes to watching calcium and Alk... all those "in depth" parameters. I just do watcher changes when my nitrates look like it needs it. I don't dose anything and I run a skimmer. My reef looks great. But again, I keep the easy stuff.
As with anything, it can be really tough, if you make it so.

jay0705

Hmm. I didn't realize sum corals where that easy. I fig w the lighting and stuff it b a pain in the butt lol

rlablan

That is what I meant about different equipment. A lot of people keep corals under PC lighting or T5...
I kept one of my first reefs under a 4X36 pc fixture. Sure it was mainly mushrooms, leathers and zoanthids but it was a really easy system and it looked great! I later used the same fixture to light my swim tank.
It's all about what you know and are willing to research :)

jay0705

Good point. I've been doing alot of research lately lol. I was sooo close to getting a purple tang,but it seems they are just a bit too aggressive for the types of fish I have know. Def on the next tank list tho.