Yet another lighting question

kl8n

OK, I am currently a financially struggling student and as such have little to no extra money after paying for necessities. I do however have my priorities straight and include my 50G reef tank in the list of necessities.
I'm hoping someone can give me a little help in finding a cheap lighting solution. I currently have a 130 Watt 50/50 coralife that I bought from my lfs and the stock 35 watt light that came with the tank on top now.
I eventually do want to add clams and light sucking corals to my reef but a 5 million watt super sun replicator light
is out of the question as I've seen them starting at about $400.00.
Is it possible to build your own lighting system or is there some sort of ghetto setup I can get at the hardware store?
Any advice, ideas?

spsfreak100

It would be much cheaper to simply buy the correct lighting setup now than to purchase a lighting system and then upgrade later on if you eventually want to keep higher light organisms.
Generally, as you stated, halide setups start at around $400.00. This would include reflectors, dual ballast, mogul sockets, quick disconnects, and bulbs. If you know where to look, I'm sure you could purchase a good lighting system for around $400-$500.
I would recommend a dual PFO (HQI, if possible) ballast, 2x 250wt halides, 2x mogul sockets, disconnects, as well as the bulbs. I did a search for those items on a different website, and your cost would be $478.75 -- that includes 2x 10,000k Ushio's, a Dual PFO ballast, and 2x Mogul Sockets along with 2x Spiderlight reflectors. Depending on how deep your tank is, you may be fine with 2x 175wt halides instead of the 250's. This may save you some money. Buying used equipment may also save you money, this would be a cheaper way to go.
However, there's also the cost of fans, as well as a 12" canopy (if you do not have one already).
Graham

bang guy

IMO for clams you really want to go with HID lighting like Metal Halide. If you can hang something from the ceiling then a couple of used 250 watt MH pendants would be a good choice.

smooth_9

Hello I built my own M.H. system. I called local electricl supply houses and ask for a 250 watt ballist 20.00 each. they have to be wired and put into a case(I used a small 6 pack cooler). I searched the net for hoods found one I liked for 100.00 with reflector and fans. Buy sockets from electrical supply also they are cheap there, buy wire from home depot. I put a switch on the fans which I didnt need they are on all the time:cheer: The bulbs were the biggest cost. Just look around. I have reacently added a 55w CF moonlight.
Good luck SMooTH

kl8n

Originally posted by smooth_9
Hello I built my own M.H. system. I called local electricl supply houses and ask for a 250 watt ballist 20.00 each. they have to be wired and put into a case(I used a small 6 pack cooler). I searched the net for hoods found one I liked for 100.00 with reflector and fans. Buy sockets from electrical supply also they are cheap there, buy wire from home depot. I put a switch on the fans which I didnt need they are on all the time:cheer: The bulbs were the biggest cost. Just look around. I have reacently added a 55w CF moonlight.
Good luck SMooTH

Would love to see some picks and maybe a tutorial on how to do that...
What was your total cost when complete? And did I hear you say a 6 pack cooler?
thanks,
kl8n