YOTN's 20g Full-on Tank/Sump/Refugium!!!

yearofthenick

Hello all,
I started a thread a few months ago with a 10g, then upgraded to a 20g. As of tonight, I just finished plumbing a sump/fuge and I'm really proud of my work. If you have a 100g+ tank, of course you add a sump, possibly with a fuge... but I don't think I've ever seen it done on this small of a scale. Here's the breakdown:
Main Tank:
20g High
150w HQI Sunpod, 14,000k bulb
26 lb's live rock
15 lb's live sand
Various Corals, both SPS and softies
Black Misbar False Perc
Orange Misbar False Perc
Psychadelic Mandarin Goby
Sump/Refugium:
5.5g AGA tank ($13.99)
Two plexi partitions ($2.81 for both @ Home Depot)
Pump - rated 250g at 6 feet ($20)
Filter Media - Sponge, Carbon, Ceramic cylinders, 300 micron filter
Refugium - 5lb's live sand, chaeto, tons of copepods (seeded)
lots of 3/4" pipe and elbows and such ($22)
I'm going to be upgrading my sump pump soon, and have not taken off my HOB yet because the flow from the sump is still too slow. I'm hoping to get myself a 400gph rated one soon. We'll see.
I also still need to get my air check valve installed... right now it's just a screw going into the pipe.
Man, I had one he!! of a time getting the siphon to go. It's really temperamental, and you really need to get it down to a science. Once you have it figured out, and get it dialed in, you're good to go. IF you decide to do something like this ... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COVER FOR YOUR INTAKE OTHERWISE IF A FISH GETS CAUGHT IN THERE YOU"RE TANK WILL OVERFLOW!!!
Action Shots:

worrballer

I've seen 10g tanks with 10g sumps. Once I saw a pico (forgot what size exactly) with a 20g sump. So sumps on small tanks aren't new.
And I tried that pvc overflow, needless to say my tank is drilled now lol. I'm glad you got it to work though, good job.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/3070443
looks good bro..nice job...where did u get the sunpod 150w..everywhere is sold out...
I got it on the bay - it was a reconditioned one and I paid $150 with shipping. it was $178 out the door.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3070476
Lookin good...where you been???
I've been around. I don't come on here as much simply because I don't have time. I'm pretty overloaded at work. In fact, if I hadn't bought the chaeto a few days ago, I would not have even done this build for another few weeks at least.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by WorrBaller
http:///forum/post/3070486
I've seen 10g tanks with 10g sumps. Once I saw a pico (forgot what size exactly) with a 20g sump. So sumps on small tanks aren't new.
And I tried that pvc overflow, needless to say my tank is drilled now lol. I'm glad you got it to work though, good job.
Thanks. The overflow was a pian in the butt. I'd love to drill my tank, but that means breaking it down, removing everything and letting it all sit in a rubbermaid for a while. I'm still thinking about it though because it will certainly look cleaner.
So what did you end up using for your drilled overflow? Did you use a kit?
And - A Pico with a 20g sump? Now that's just stupid.

worrballer

The display was incredible though SPS everywhere, it was for a desk so little room for the display.
Anyway, I made my own overflow box, which was a mistake. Then bought the diamond bit, elbow, and bulkhead from glass-holes.com (<another site if they delete what I wrote). Ya I lost a yellow watchman and xenia during the transfer.