Your Anemone Life Span

j21kickster

As stated above, however this doesnt provide a completly accurate description of how well its doing- you could have one that is 6 months old that is still doing fime- most of the optione are directed as, How long you had it before it died

poiboy

didnt want to vote, might jinx myself. I'll just say doing great and eating well.
Good thread, I'm curious.

ryebread

Justin-
I added a couple of other options to the poll since I know that some of the people have had great "success" with thier anemonies and kept them alive for more than a couple years.

OMG Bang.... I am embarassed to ask but......................................................................................................................................................
What is a propogated anenome mean???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Kim

I have a BTA now for about 6 mos. It has split and doing very well. its always on the move and earting well. i feed it a varity of food

jim27

I've had my rose bta for about 4 months now and its been growing great.
I also bought a normal bta about 6 months ago which split maybe 4 months ago. I have since sold one of the bta twins and still have one with me. I like to think that because of me there is one more bta in the world, even though it may have split ragardless.

bang guy

Originally posted by JIM27
I also bought a normal bta about 6 months ago which split maybe 4 months ago.

Success!!!

overanalyzer

Was thinking of posting this type of poll myself but was going to make it multiple check boxes as in:
How many anemone's have you owned?
Life span for each?
Do you currently have one?
How long?
Bang Guy - while splitting might be a good sign what about ones that move around the tank ... meaning they have not found a good "home" - even ifthey split is that still success??
My attitude on anemone's has changed since I started doing research on them. a JR High teacher kept one for 3 years .... with tank moves and everything .... but thinking back the tank water was notthe best and she letthe LFS test it once a month and we managed to kill every fish in the tank ...... so why did the anemone survive? It was under NO lighting and such .... so I figured it was an easy creature ... but after researching and reading about them I don't think so .... as a matter of fact I think the only ones that should be allowed for sale are aquacultured ones ......

hkgar

I have one BTA and a LTA. The BTA is from one that split and then split again giving me 3. Two of the 3 died shortly after an amonia spike caused by a dying Sponge. The original BTA was put in the tank about 8 months ago. The LTA about 9 months ago.

jumpfrog

I've had my "rock anemone" for going on two years and it is very healthy. Great color and eats every chance it gets. I wonder though if rocks split. I bought before I knew better but I'm pleased the anemone appears to be doing well. I'll let you know in another 20 years;)

buzz

I had a nice big BTA for about 8 months...he was bleached when I got it, and granted, my lighting was inadequate for some time...it died recently during a split. Didn't have the energy to finish the split, went downhill from there. I had fed it meaty foods, and I am sure that helped, but eventually, it wasn't enough.
I recently got another, nice and greenish red, and within a week, it split. Live and learn, huh? This one is doing great so far...
Bang Guy...I have to ask, because I hear this a lot. People say anemone's live for hundreds of years in the ocean. Exactly how do they know that? Is there really a group of people who pick out an anemone, study it their entire lives, train their kids to do so, and pass on the study of this same anemone through the generations? I just don't see how it can be stated with fact that anemone's live this long...

bang guy

I'm sure there are many ways but the latest one I heard was the growth of the coral AROUND the Anemone could be accurately dated so it was known that the Anemone had not moved for several hundred years.
Basically these animals are immortal. They have no cell degeneration like we have and will live until disease, predator, or an ill-informed hobbiest kills them.
There is an Anemone at Oxford University that has been kept in captivity for over 200 years. That's a success, eh?
And in reference to Anemone survival rates being outdated, I recently read a scientific study from 1999 (OK still kinda old) that placed the captive one year survival rate at 5%.

buzz

Interesting...I have just always wondered how that could be known with any certainty. Very interesting...thanks for sharing!

wrassecal

I got a bta 15 months ago. It split within a couple of months and both of them are still doing very well (quick prayer). I gave the original to a friend about a month ago and I kept the clone. I also did a great deal of research (and still do) trying to give them the best environment possible. The original is in it's 3rd tank since I got it and the one I kept is in it's second tank. Both wandered around a couple days then found a good spot and settled in. The only odd thing I noticed is my original loves to be right in front of the maxijet 1200 powerhead with very strong flow.
And the one tulip is now 8 and makes a nice little garden:)

j21kickster

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Basically these animals are immortal. They have no cell degeneration like we have and will live until disease, predator, or an ill-informed hobbiest kills them.

Seriously, are the cells just replaced frequently- or do they really not degenerate- would love to read up on this- if that is true then i would think they have amazing research potential in the medical field

overanalyzer

Originally posted by j21kickster
Seriously, are the cells just replaced frequently- or do they really not degenerate- would love to read up on this- if that is true then i would think they have amazing research potential in the medical field

some species of turtles are the same way - just read about them in reader's digest ... they would not die of old age ....
I can see it now: Justin's Amazing Anemone Elixir - a swig a day keeps death at bay!!!