Your Anemone Life Span

T

thomas712

I remember it was around my lighitng upgrade back in Jan 2001 just after christmas I had had the anemone in the fall of 2000 and it was doing lousey all bunched up and about the size of a golfball. I'm not sure if I remember how long it took after the lighting upgrade that it had grown to the size of a softball and split, something like only 3 or 4 months~! And that was in a 55 with Crushed coral. I now have 4 BTA's and they are in the 90/w shallow sand bed and doing fine. So all in all with just about killing it to sucess I has to be close to 2 1/2 years now. I bearly feed them, almost never! just good VHO lighting.
Thomas

T

thomas712

I might add that this was the third anemone that I had tried, the first to were Condi's, and I really didn't know what I was doing. So I have killed a couple myself.:( :eek:
Thomas

richard rendos

I posted 1-2 years, but that is how long I have had him. He is still with me. I had a long tentacle for 3 years and sold him because I was moving. I have not had one die on me yet.

T

thomas712

Been alot of talk about anemonies latley, thought I would bump this up and see if anything new pops up.
Thomas

cb

I want to know if all anemones split or just certain ones? I have a condy and it seems to be doing fine I feed it meaty food a couple times a week and also supplement DT's.

buzz

My first BTA never split, and I wanted it to in the worst way. Second one split within a week of putting it into the tank. There is no way to guarantee a split.

broncofish

Spliiting in my opinion is a success, especially if it is a clone you can share with another hobiiest. I've talked to some people lately who are doing crazy things with anemones to "make them split" and it is working. I want to see a future in this hobby where all anemones are tank bred, and the only people who keep them are experianced, and studied up on anemones. I wonder how many people are keeping BTA's under 10,000k MH's and are wondering why it is shrinking or hiding. Or how many people think that taking care of anemone just means placing it under intense light???

jonthefb

the only thing that worries me about captive raised anything, such as anemones and corals and such is that they arent the product of egg an sperm, and that they are simply clones......what could the long term implications of clones of clones of clones be? will genetic mutations occur, and what happens when natural selection is disregarded because everyone is the same? this really doesnt apply ot the aquarium trade but if coral reefs continue ot decline, and we humans try to "reforest" the reefs with these cloned animals, what would the result be? i think that to be successful with anemones is to ultimately offer "individuals" meaning animals that result from fertilization of egg by sperm which would fare well in a captive environment as well as hold there own in nature. weve already done this with giant clams, now we just need to figure out a way to trigger the release of sexual gametes from anemones to fertilize and grow ofspring in a lab!
oh and on the original note, i have a rose bubble tip anemone that i have had for 5 years and has split (cloned itself) 7 times in that period!
good luck
jon

broncofish

Originally posted by tangsfornuttin
That's Bronco's bag - no idea. He mentioned that they weren't as bright, but I've heard that they give off more PAR....

It's just a theory, and actually I am under the impression that MH is all together bad for a BTA, I'm pretty sure they do better under VHO. All I know is from personall experiance and am not about to experement by placing anemones under different K's of light. Believe me james if I could I would send you some bulbs, maybe when I hit the lotto;)

benrock

Wow, it's so cool to read about these things splitting. Amazingly enough mine split last week and I thought it was the coolest thing. I've had it about six months.

broncofish

Originally posted by mmmmsushi
It doesn't have to do with the brightness. It can't. I had VHO's. 4-3" bulbs. My bubble tip was doing very well. I'm now using two 250watt 20k MHs. They BTAs are hiding now. What's up with that. I thought it was because they don't need as much surface area facing the light now that it's brighter.

You hit it on the head. 10k-20k a lot more blue spectrum in the light. I wish I was a marine biologist, so I could actually have the time and money to research that sort of thing. While I was doing research for Ritteri I was thinking of putting it under 20,000k MH, but after reading through hundreds of posts on this board and others most success was had through 6,500k bulbs. There is a guy in Corpus Christi who has a Ritteri actively splitting right now, no less than three times, but yet I have not read about one splitting under 10-20,000k bulbs yet, but I have read a couple of stories about burned ones under those bulbs....I am just saying it's something to consider, Maybe when kickster is some big marine biologist he can do a study on what Kelvin, wattage, and such of lighting that anemones prefer:D

xrayharmony

I had a beautiful LTA that was absolutely huge (about a foot across when fully filled) that got so happy he moved a piece of LR by burying his foot deeper and deeper... which in turn made that piece of rock fall on him:( He lived for about another month and a half with good days and bad, but i honestly think that if it wasn't for that stupid piece of rock he would have been alive for a very long time. Well, RIP to Medusa(that was his name).:( :( :(

broncofish

Originally posted by Melody
Tangsfornuttin & Bronco have either one of you had a condy to live for 1 1/2 yrs or a bta split 3 times?

Was not talking smack just saying it was small and bleached, along the lines of how cool that is that you found it after all this time...not being smack talkish at. but to answer you question, don't like condy's think they are a bit ugly, and yes have had anemones divide in my tank, BTA's and Ritteri.

broncofish

I am geussing melody that it is a pretty tough little BTA. I would say exposing it to light. Enriched brine shrimp squirted at it's tentacle with a turkey baster, keep it in a medium water flow, and have pastor Kevin pray for it;) Maybe try to keep it shaded half the day or gradualy expose it to longer periods of light, as to not shock it. If you can get it to back to full health than you will have one little resilant, and cool BTA. I would also ask that you keep us fully updated please, and if it is OK for my to closely follow it's progress.