your favorite thing about a lfs

amandal

For the first few months after we set up our tank, they wouldn't sell us anything unless we provided a water sample for testing to prove that our tank was healthy enough for the animal. They also won't sell many corals until they know you're ready for them. They get amazing livestock and have the most amazing liverock that anyone I know has ever seen. On top of all that... they're the least expensive in town! There's a pretty regular crowd of hobbiests that just hang out there and exchange ideas and information. Awesome place!

reef4me

My LFS in Allentown, Pa they know everything. Jim and Mat at Shear Heven are the guys to go to if you are looking at starting up a tank or even have problems with a existing tank. There aint a fish or coral they don know about.

stanlalee

wont mention any names but its in Virginia Beach, Virginia and theres no shop like it anywhere close.
things I like about it
1. prices
are no worse than what I can get online, most of the time thats before considering shipping. example: instant ocean 50lb bag $9 and change, coralight 36" lunar lights under $194 (sure online is a few bucks cheaper but no waiting, no shipping charge, local service), peppermint shrimp $5.99, candycane coral medium size $19.99.
2. coral selection
if you look to the left here and press coral note how many are available to buy now. do the same at other sites. there's a 80% + chance my LFS has it. tank after tank with 3 and 4 shelves of corals. tanks for fraggs not for sale yet. SPS tanks, LPS tanks, soft coral tanks, cheap skate everthing under $20 tanks ect.
3. email list discounts
join the mailing list, mention the sale their having and save. there's almost always a 10-20% sale on live stock and products (after the normal good prices) and when they have a REAL one day sale ect can drop to 30-35%!
4. livestock quarantined before sold.
things I dont like
1) hours of operation.. dont open until 12Noon. I work 5 minutes away and get off in the morning. Its a 45 minute drive to go back when they open and another 45 home.
2) too crowded during normal busy hours (weekends and when people are off work). sqeezing past people all the time thru narrow isles.
advise: need a bigger store/showroom and/or set up without rows (have all the tanks around the sides of the room and the center for walking).