Zoo HELP!

michaeltx

a fw dip isnt bad for zoas imo. in the ocean, they are exposed at low tide sometimes, what happens if it rains during low tide? ive FW dipped zoas plenty of times with no ill effects, just make sure its RO water and the PH/temp is the same as in your tank.
I know in the wild that this happens the main problem that I have is there is dips made for just this thing for corals why risk the coral!! the last couple of few days I keep seeing on threads somethings wrong with my coral and one of the first suggestions is a FW dip with no intstructions on doing it right or an alternative to the FW dip. to me thats a drastic measure that should be a last resort.. Does that make any sense LOL
Mike

drewissett

Ok what is this solution that is coral safe, and where can I get it?
I don't want to endanger my corals, does anyone else have experience with this??
Thanks again for the help!

michaeltx

Iodine dip I have had good sucess with kents Lugols
Lugol's Solution is a bio-available iodine supplement for reef-type marine aquariums. Provides a strong source of reef iodine and iodide to reef inhabitants and macroalgae. Helps improve coloration of corals while preventing bleaching. Particularly well suited for aquaria containing xenia and soft corals. Enhances coral polyp expansion, resulting in a healthier environment for marine invertebrates and fish! Can be used as a dip for stony and soft or leather corals. 1 oz. 1 drop treats 25 gallons.
from a website excerpt
Mike

michaeltx

ita different than the kents iodine. this is kents lugols solution I am not sure of the exact difference though I do know they are sold as completely different things.
Mike

Freshwater dip will not hurt your Zoa, take a small bowl fill with freshwater and dip your zoa for about a minute gently "swishing" it. Then put it back in the tank. I have done this for all of my Zoa and Palys and have not lost any. Do not however freshwater dip any LPS or SPS.

sailfin

I would recommend Tropic Marin. It is an iodine based dip that is good for all corals, SPS, LPS, softies, zoas. Just don't use it for clams. I dip all of my corals prior to putting them in the tank.