Smaller place, bigger tank...My 200DD build

eric b 125

Hair Algea feeds on magnesium?
Hair algae feeds primarily on phosphates and nitrates. I suspect that phosphates are leeching out of my LR. I had it stored in heated/circulating water in a few Rubbermaid cans for several months. I'm guessing one of those cans got cold or stagnant for a period of time causing die-off and I didn't realize.

High magnesium levels (1600) have been known to be effective towards killing bryopsis and according to Snake will also kill hair algae.

I'm going to use Phosphate Rx (lanthanum chloride) which binds to phosphates so they can be removed by the skimmer. This will not remove the phosphates from my rocks (assuming that that's where the source is). Phosphates will still slowly leech out of them. My hope is that a low dose of Phosphate Rx will pull the phosphates from the water column and the GFO will be able to maintain the phosphates that continue to leech until the rocks are phosphate free.

bang guy

Hair
I'm going to use Phosphate Rx (lanthanum chloride) which binds to phosphates so they can be removed by the skimmer. This will not remove the phosphates from my rocks (assuming that that's where the source is). Phosphates will still slowly leech out of them. My hope is that a low dose of Phosphate Rx will pull the phosphates from the water column and the GFO will be able to maintain the phosphates that continue to leech until the rocks are phosphate free.
The algae pattern on your rocks is consistent with those I've seen from rocks that have been exposed to high ammonia levels.

How did you cook your rocks? Not that it matters now but I'm interested.

snakeblitz33

I had that same problem in a 110g one time. I used an algae scrubber and it went away completely in 45 days and it started pulling grey/white phosphate out of the rocks. It was really neat to watch.

Sounds like you have a plan. I hope it works.

eric b 125

The algae pattern on your rocks is consistent with those I've seen from rocks that have been exposed to high ammonia levels.

How did you cook your rocks? Not that it matters now but I'm interested.
I put all of the rocks from my old system, roughly 150#'s into two of my designated 32 gallon trash cans. Each with a heater and Koralia 4. Then I eventually added 40#'s of new Marco Rocks. They sat this way for several months with water changes.

eric b 125

I had that same problem in a 110g one time. I used an algae scrubber and it went away completely in 45 days and it started pulling grey/white phosphate out of the rocks. It was really neat to watch.

Sounds like you have a plan. I hope it works.
I'm going to add the Phosphate Rx on Monday when it gets delivered. On Tuesday I'm going to do a 30 gallon water change and will add chaeto to my sump and change and increase the amount of GFO in my reactor.

eric b 125

I committed to buying a Biocube 29 today for QT by ordering the stand and Tunze Nano Osmolator. I was going to order the whole kit and kaboodle, but I b/w the Gyre, stand, and ATO I think that's enough for this week, LOL. This will give me time to put the stand together and figure out what kind of ATO reservoir I can fit in it. I hope that having an ATO will make prophylactic hypo more effective and less stressful on the fish.

I'm going to move the MP10 from my fuge to the Biocube...it's such a waste to have it down there. I have a Korallia 4 that will go into the fuge. Now it's just a matter of getting the Biocube and I can order some more fish. Hopefully by the time a round of hypo is done the algae issue will be resolved and I can make that coral pack order.

snakeblitz33

Woohoo!

Ever read about using erythromycin to kill hair algae? I read it in one of my books recently. i dunno, it might be something to look at. Though, I'm pretty sure the Chems you bought will do the trick. I've never messed with lanthanum chloride,... I'm kinda anxious to find out if it works really well.

snakeblitz33

I sat in on a conference at MACNA 2013 and the speaker there said that she ran a lab on the coast that tested the ability to captive grow SPS corals for propagation. One of the issues they faced was that there was ammonia in the top off water causing growth issues. Then once they took care of that they had a phosphate issue and used lanthanum chloride to take care of it. Once they fixed those two issues, they said their SPS tripled in thickness and quadrupled in length within a matter of a month. Kinda neat.

bang guy

Woohoo!

Ever read about using erythromycin to kill hair algae? I read it in one of my books recently. i dunno, it might be something to look at. Though, I'm pretty sure the Chems you bought will do the trick. I've never messed with lanthanum chloride,... I'm kinda anxious to find out if it works really well.
I know erythromycin will kill Cyanobacter. I had no idea it affected hair algae. Interesting.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I read it somewhere in one of my books a couple of weeks ago. If I can find it again, I'll quote the passage and cite the reference. I'm pretty sure it was in a book by Delbeek and Sprung.

eric b 125

Got some goodies yesterday:

I dosed the tank with Phophate Rx at 2/3's the recommended strength. I'm going to pull the hair algae that has returned and do a water change later today.

eric b 125

After thinking about it, I decided to go ahead and order the Biocube today. Classes start next week and I figure it will be best to get this out of the way during syllabus week before I actually have to put-in work, LOL. I was going to wait a week to defray costs but this makes more sense...it's nice to be single again, haha.

So there's a Gyre, Biocube 29 w/ stand, Tunze Nano ATO, and a bucket of salt coming my way this week. Looking forward to getting the QT set up and making a fish order.

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

What's that thing on the far right?? Glad that you might be getting the hair algae under control soon. It's just one of those stages a tank seems to have to go through.

Glad you are getting a few things. I havnt ordered anything for my tank until I get a package from saltwaterfish. If I don't get my RO supplies then there isn't a reason to be in a hurry to buy anything else.

eric b 125

What's that thing on the far right??
That's a GoPro camera. I've had it for a while and I just leave it on my table.

I'm pretty pumped about getting new toys. I'm glad I decided on getting a QT and using a BC for it. I can't wait to start getting livestock.

Last edited: