Smaller place, bigger tank...My 200DD build

eric b 125

Glad that you might be getting the hair algae under control soon. It's just one of those stages a tank seems to have to go through.

Glad you are getting a few things. I havnt ordered anything for my tank until I get a package from saltwaterfish. If I don't get my RO supplies then there isn't a reason to be in a hurry to buy anything else.
I'm really hoping to have the hair algae taken care of by the time I hypo the first round of fish. That gives me about 6-8 weeks depending on when the BC is delivered. Come April, I start sailing, kayaking, bicycling, and traveling so my time and money go to those hobbies. My (obviously tentative) plan is to have two rounds of hypo'd fish in the tank by late March. Once the algae is under control I'm going to order that 20 piece frag pack I've mentioned in the past and some stuff from the frag swaps in late Feb. I hope the algae is okay with that schedule, LOL.

I decided to give the Phosphate Rx a few days to work before doing a water change. I was going to connect my lights w/ the Photo-link cable today, but I'm still going to wait for the canopy to do that b/c of the visible cord.

With TDS like you have at home, Seth, you will definitely need a beefy RODI.

eric b 125

I am afraid I have dino's as well. There are definitely spots of hair algae, as you can see in my previous pictures, but today I noticed what I can only identify as dinoflagellates. It's unmistakable: air bubbles, long brown strings, brown/hairy/snotty growth... all along with the patches of green hair algae.

So: I did not bother dosing the Phosphate Rx tonight. Instead, I gave the tank a shot of 22mL of hydrogen peroxide (1mL H2O2 for every 10 gallons of water). I'm going to continue the hydrogen peroxide every day for a week or so. From what I've read it will not eliminate the hair algae, but it has been known to get rid of hair algae on frag plugs at a much higher concentration (like 1:1).

I'm also going to do a 3 day black out, starting tonight. Once I'm done with the H2O2, I'm going to do another treatment with Phosphate Rx, and follow that with a water change. I'm hoping that the black out, H2O2, and Phosphate Rx will weaken the hair algae enough that it will make manual removal more effective. I watched one of Melev's videos on YouTube and he always treats with Phosphate Rx before manual removal of H.A. because it makes pulling it off the rocks easier...we shall see.

UGH

eric b 125

What it is is what it is... I'm lucky that I don't have a bunch of corals to worry about. It's going to take a little extra work but I'll get it to where it needs to be.

eric b 125

This thing is perfect for my tank. I set it up real quick before work and when I got home it was weird not hearing the aquarium. All of my equipment was silent, including the overflows, except the VorTechs. Now the tank has better flow throughout and I can barely hear it at all, and that's not an exaggeration- my ceiling fan is more noticeable than my entire 200+ gallon system.

bang guy

Let me know how well you like it once you get it going. That may be the solution to a technical challenge I've been considering. :cool:

eric b 125

Let me know how well you like it once you get it going. That may be the solution to a technical challenge I've been considering. :cool:
That's the only thing I am concerned about: longevity. If it can maintain, then I am for sure a convert, 100%

snakeblitz33

I think it's funny how the MP40s came down to $299 when the gyre was introduced. I've been looking at the buy and sell section on a couple forums and the vortechs are selling cheap!

eric b 125

I think it's funny how the MP40s came down to $299 when the gyre was introduced. I've been looking at the buy and sell section on a couple forums and the vortechs are selling cheap!
It's not surprising that VorTech's came down in price. In my tank, at least, one Gyre definitely one-upped two MP40wES's.

eric b 125

Got the stand for the QT put together this morning.

Tomorrow I'm going to take all the VorTechs off of the DT and fuge and clean them up. I'll have to do some adjustments to the Gyre and find the Korallia 4 for the fuge. I'm going to try and make it out to a LFS to pick up a small ATO reservoir for the QT. The BC and salt are scheduled to be delivered on Monday and Tuesday.

eric b 125

With the exception of the light on the ground and the Korallia 4 at the bottom right, this is all the electrical that I was able to get rid of by switching from two MP40's to a Gyre

snakeblitz33

That's awesome dude!!!

Now I'm on the fence between buying a gyre or a couple used vortechs. Lol

I just updated my thread.

eric b 125

Question if you had two gyres could you sync them like people do with mp40s or would that have to much flow?
Not yet. I reckon that will probably be available on the 2nd generation Gyres. If that's the case, then I will get two new ones and have one set up horizontally and one vertically. Like I've said, one Gyre has given me better flow throughout the aquascape/aquarium than two MP40wES's.

eric b 125

Got some of the equipment ready to roll for the QT today:

Both of my packages are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I work, but I'm hoping that I'll have the energy to mess around with the QT afterwards.