Another new set up, few questions

jmbr0828

Hey guys, I found what I believe to be a 180 gal, non drilled tank for a great price. It only comes with the tank.
I am planning on drilling it, making a stand and canopy, light, possibly making a skimmer and fuge, and I am looking into making my own rock. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the glass-holes.com overflow kits?
I like the look of the big center overflows, and even the corner boxes. Does anyone have any sources on some of them, or am I limited due to the fact that the tank was not pre-drilled.
I plan of keeping a mixed reef, what kind of pump and flow rate do I need for a mixed reef.
I have been having success with my DIY LED so far. So I think I will just build a bigger one for this tank
I've seen sone plans for DIY skimmers, and have also found some pretty good deals on E-bay. Anyone have a preffered brand? What type (venturi, or other kinds) should I get?
What size sump do I need to run? Space is not an issue, I have a full basement.
I do have a spare 55 gal. Will this work, or do I need to go bigger?
How long will I have to wait to transfer my lovestock over? Of course I know I have to wait for the rock to cure, and to get a full cycle.
Any other suggestions? Thanks.

1guydude

your not allowed to list competetors here...im no hall monitor, im just sayin. Dont get the skimmer of the auction website. Imo its complete crap, just pay for a good one or make ur own if ur a DIYer... I bought a jebo180 and they r no good, i would not recommend it to any1. Than again its rated up to 180 gal and mine was like 36 gal lol

1guydude

o like cpr or octopus or something....i thought u meant like a chinese brand one... i dont c why not, always good to save a buck. No matter how much $ imo
If u do ur own rock u should take some pics or make a thread on it or something....pps would love it!

2quills

Will be interested to see what you come up with for the led's.
Octopus skimmers are made in china, btw

A couple of the members here have used the glass holes kits. I was going to go with them but decided to make my own overflows. I just did two corner overflows and drilled for my return in the middle of the tank all on the back panel.
If you can go with a bigger tank or add a second tank/refugium with the 55 that would be better, more water for dillution. But a 55 will still work.
Once your diy rock is cured, and the pH comes down to a safe level it should be ok to transfere your inhabitents once the tank has finished it's first cycle. I would recommend a slow transfere, not everything all at once and test as you go. Just keep an eye out for ammonia spikes after each time you add lifstock to the new tank.
Venturi skimmers seem to be the way to go these days. The octos are popular, as are the SWC brand if you want to look into a decent priced cone skimmer without breaking the bank.
Pump size, in my opinion I would try to stick with one that will give you around a 5x turnover rate per hour after head loss for your total sytem volume. This includes the water in the sump. Turnover rate it debateable, I just don't necissarily think faster means better.
Good luck, I'll be tagging along to see how things progress.

sweatervest13

Tagging along as well. I am in the middle of a project like this one and had been looking into that glass-holes place. I read on one thread here that you can get a kit to drill that has everything you need. Keep us posted on what you do. Good luck!!

1guydude

i watched a video of someone drill a hole in their tank themselves...i believe it was the utube site.
plumbers putty
glass holesaw
drill *duh*
he put water in the circle of putty to keep the drill from heating up and cracking the glass!~

jmbr0828

Yeah, I have watched all of the videos on the glass-holes site. Those guys are crazy. Well it sounds like I am going to have a build thread. Glad you guys are tagging along.

jmbr0828

Well, I went and picked up the tank today! I measured it for the first time, and the dimensions are 72"L x 18"D x 22"W.
After typing the dimensions in the tank size calculator, I found out that it is actually a 125 gal tank. I was kinda disappointed, but this tank is huge and I think I am going to keep it, and get going on this setup. I am going to get the glass-holes 1500gph overflow kit, 2 of their 3/4 inch line loc return kits. I am still looking for a pump, I would like to do something like a dart, but I need some advise on what to get. I do not want to get a submersible pump. Any ideas?
I started pricing out the components for the new LED set up, looks like I'm going to be about $400-$500 for 140 royal blue and cool whit LEDS, along with the Mean Well HLG-240-48A Constant Current Driver
http:///servlet/the-151/Mean-Well-HLG-dsh-240-dsh-48A-Constant/Detail for powering the LEDs, And I will re-use one of my smaller drivers from my other fixture for the moonlighting.
I have been reading about those turf scrubbers, anyone use one instead of a skimmer? How effective are they? Could I trust them?
First things first, I will begin gathering the materials for the stand and the hood, and get that going first.