AT A LOSS!!!!!!!!

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/40#post_3377886
Well, after reading over this thread, I would like to add a couple things. One, if you thought it was heavy metals, chlorine,etc. you can add aquasafe to the water and see if that helps (although your skimmer will go nuts). Two, you seemed to of had this problem after setting up this large tank with the additional rock from ebay. Is the rock you bought from ebay real or man made? That could be the problem. Maybe removing the rock that you purchasd from ebay will put an end to your problem. Also, if it was any other contaminate, from your water or whatever your carbon would get it out of the system. And if I read correctly, you do use carbon right? If not, I would highly rec. it.
I agree..... carbon may end up getting a majority of the toxins out. Also, pls try and not buy LR or marine live stock from that web site. You don't know what your getting.
Also, the containners, can't remember reading this or not, is it mold resistant? Some containers contain chemicals like the mold resistant that can be toxic to your setup.
Just a thought

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbajh http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/40#post_3378241
Are you saying you would buy a new aquarium, skimmer, plumbing, sump, and pumps, the whole works, not to mention my ocean motions and bulk heads? Yeah if I needed to do that I would sell everything and say to hell with it. Already invested thousands upon thousands. You don't feel that's over kill? Shouldn't just replacing the sand and LR be enough. You think that whatever is causing the problem has now contaminated the plastic, silcon, glass and PVC of the other components?
I wouldn't go that far. I would think that the rock and sand are really what you have to worry about. If the frags stay pretty healthy than it's a sure bet you can rule out your water and containers. If you do ditch the rock and sand and once you clean the tank real good I'd like to believe you'll be ok. But, yes please do keep us updated on this, inquiring minds like to know. :)

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/40#post_3378242
I agree..... carbon may end up getting a majority of the toxins out. Also, pls try and not buy LR or marine live stock from that web site. You don't know what your getting.
Also, the containners, can't remember reading this or not, is it mold resistant? Some containers contain chemicals like the mold resistant that can be toxic to your setup.
Just a thought
I really wish that the carbon would hurry up :). I've been running carbon in this system for about 6 months now via a reactor and change the media out every 3 weeks.
As far a not buying live rock from ebay..... I went to LFS to pick of the frags and looked at the rock. $7-$8 a pound! Crazy!!!

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/60#post_3378244
I wouldn't go that far. I would think that the rock and sand are really what you have to worry about. If the frags stay pretty healthy than it's a sure bet you can rule out your water and containers. If you do ditch the rock and sand and once you clean the tank real good I'd like to believe you'll be ok. But, yes please do keep us updated on this, inquiring minds like to know. :)
Sure, I will keep you all posted. I would like to figure this out ASAP. I hope you subscribed because it may be a few weeks until I break down the large tank. Only for the simple fact is I want to keep an eye on the frags to see if the torch gets any bigger and if the zoos grow more polyps. At this point I have all the time in the world to break down this system cause I'm not working at the moment. What do you all suggest I use to clean the tank? Just vinegar, or maybe bleach?

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbajh http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/60#post_3378387
I really wish that the carbon would hurry up :). I've been running carbon in this system for about 6 months now via a reactor and change the media out every 3 weeks.
As far a not buying live rock from ebay..... I went to LFS to pick of the frags and looked at the rock. $7-$8 a pound! Crazy!!!
i totally agree with you on the price of live rock. It's robbery but sometimes worth it. Where I live it's even highier. What i ment was buying live rock from a site like ebay is you have no idea where that rock was, what it has in it, and mosltly, what kind of tank was it in, good or bad? IMO if I don't see it with my own eyes I don't buy it. Now.... SWF.com is a trusted site with warrenties and you can talk to folks on the messege boards for quality. just sayin.
What kind of carbon are you using. chempure elite or regular carbon?
do you QT your frags prior to putting them in your DT?
I know........ questions questions, questions, but you may be able to avoid this again someday.

mkroher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbajh http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/60#post_3378387
Use marcorocks... after 6 months you won't be able to tell the difference.

robertmathern

Do me a favor and try a little test. Take a piece of rock a break a piece off. Then get a small bowl and fill it with white distilled venegar. Take the piece of rock you broke off and smash it to powder (sand) and drop it into the bowl of venegar. See if it starts to fizz up like soda. The reason for this is I am trying to make sure the rock is true live rock from the ocean. If it is then it will be calcium based and will fizz up in venegar. It is not unherd of for people to take nice looking rock from there back yards and "cure"them for a while to get coraline to grow on them and sell them. You can hook people up dirt cheap (2 bucks a pound) and it will sell like crazy and when people get the rock in it looks good so they leave you a good review on ebay. But only to have problems like you. This rock may even work to filter you tank but can leach crazy stuff in you tanks like pesticides, and may even contian metal naturaly.

cryptics

Another option with the live rock is find a local reefer that is selling some rock out of their system, getting out of the hobby or downgrading. Around me you can usually get rock like that for $2 a pound

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmathern http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/60#post_3378421
Do me a favor and try a little test. Take a piece of rock a break a piece off. Then get a small bowl and fill it with white distilled venegar. Take the piece of rock you broke off and smash it to powder (sand) and drop it into the bowl of venegar. See if it starts to fizz up like soda. The reason for this is I am trying to make sure the rock is true live rock from the ocean. If it is then it will be calcium based and will fizz up in venegar. It is not unherd of for people to take nice looking rock from there back yards and "cure"them for a while to get coraline to grow on them and sell them. You can hook people up dirt cheap (2 bucks a pound) and it will sell like crazy and when people get the rock in it looks good so they leave you a good review on ebay. But only to have problems like you. This rock may even work to filter you tank but can leach crazy stuff in you tanks like pesticides, and may even contian metal naturaly.
I was actually surprised to find I had distilled white vinegar in the house. I broke of a piece that I knew to be an ebay rock, and one the was from a dead piece of coral rock. Both at which bulbed up in the vinegar the same. Neat trick!

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptics http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/60#post_3378423
Another option with the live rock is find a local reefer that is selling some rock out of their system, getting out of the hobby or downgrading. Around me you can usually get rock like that for $2 a pound
Only problem with that is until I reconnected with Shawn, I didn't know anyone else in the hobby :) Great suggestion though.

cryptics

I would check if there is a local reefer club in your area. I live in NY so there are a few and they have websites that people post stuff like this in the forums. There may be one around you. Hook up with them at the very least you may find someone from the area that has been through this and can help. Just do a google search. If that fails there is always craigslist even though I trust that less. If you go the craigslist route I would try to find someone getting out of the hobby that their tank is still up and running. This way you can see life in the tank and feel better you are not just buying problem rock.

shabbajh

I thought I would also through this out there. I bought the rock from a Live Rock whole seller, not a hobbyist. They stated that the rock came from Fiji on plane and then put in there holding containers. Now of course I should belive everything I read online but if I recall they had a website and good reviews. When the rock came to the house it had good color and full of life. Sponges etc.

robertmathern

What if it is online it must be true lol. No not everyone are a scam but you never know. Remember that little trick it works on sand and everything always better to be sure before it goes in to your tank :)

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmathern http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/60#post_3378443
What if it is online it must be true lol. No not everyone are a scam but you never know. Remember that little trick it works on sand and everything always better to be sure before it goes in to your tank :)
Heck ya! I can now give that a shot in the future! I have a feeling I will be buying new sand and rock. Day 3 in 29 Gallon and looking great. Where as the last coral died within 24 hours.

robertmathern

Yep pretty sure it is your rock that is causing the problem not sure what is wrong with it but hey sometimes you dont have to know what the problem was just that you fixed it. Good luck hope it works out for you

florida joe

Reach out to a company called AquariumWaterTesting.com explain your situation. They send you a kit to send a sample of water to them for testing if they think they can help you

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbajh http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss/60#post_3378422
I have a refractometer and the salinity is 1.025.
The salinity in the tank is probably good, but since we're almost out of straws..... You definitely sure your refractometer is still calibrated correctly? I bolded "your" in my original post, as I would still really suggest for Shawn to go test with his. Not saying you're off, but maybe your refracto is.
My reasoning is this, and what, honestly, a lot of suggestions are overlooking. There are still 4 fish in your tank, right? The key to finding out what the problem is with the tank, is finding what in world can this 4 fish live with, that new additions can not. IMHO, something has gradually changed, to the point where new coral additions and fish additions (the flame) are dead within hours. The only thing that I can honestly think of that these 4 fish can tolerate, that, jeez, you say even macro algae died, is salinity being way off.
If there really is heavy metal/chlorine poisoning going on that's killing new additions, I'm trying to figure out how the 4 current inhabitants are still there.