cycling my 100 gallon marine

bang guy

Any small bit of seafood will work. Snakeblitz33 suggested just using the discarded shrimp tails in his article for example.

A small piece of prawn every day or so is perfect.

That's great to hear! Thanks for all it help! Is it just getting started or is it nearly finished, as in all research I have done nitrate spike is the last part

bang guy

I have always made my own so I cannot recommend one.

Someone here MUST be happy with their skimmer though...

pegasus

Someone here MUST be happy with their skimmer though...
I absolutely love my Reef Octopus XP2000i. It's really quite quiet, and it skims a ton of junk. The place I bought it from doesn't carry this particular model (2000i) any more, and are now promoting Skimz. They seem to think they're really good, as they only sell products that they would use themselves. They look like they're sturdy, they get good reviews, and they're cheaper than what I have.

Update today is everything's at zero and I have algae growing on all my rocks, I also went to lfs and bought some food and started feeding the tank

pegasus

Brown algae all over the sand is this normal??
It could be diatoms, which often shows up after a tank has cycled. This is normal, and it usually goes away after a few days after it consumes it's food source. Do a 20% water change, keep the lighting period short, and you should be okay. "Ghost feeding" the tank, a small amount daily like you are feeding a single fish, will help build the beneficial bacteria and prep the tank for it's first addition of fish.

So my tank has probably cycled? I have been ghost feeding it a little bit every day. How long do u recommend having lights on