Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

geridoc

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2586840
Again, look at the quote by Darwin in The Descent of Man. He lays out the term "weaker". He very clearly did look down on these traits.
Darwin uses this terminology in the context of animal breeding. In other writings he points out that humanity is more than animal breeding, and it would be evil to sacrifice the (perhaps temporarily) less fit.

geridoc

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2586914
I forgot the sarcastic smiley again, didn't I.

In fact, I do agree with some of Moore's ideas, although I would certainly prefer if he had not used the unfair and unfaithful techniques that he did use. I generally tend towards liberal causes, but not invariably, to the consternation of many of my friends. I'm not sure, though, what this has to do with this thread. We should begin a new thread about Moore.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
http:///forum/post/2587132
Darwin uses this terminology in the context of animal breeding. In other writings he points out that humanity is more than animal breeding, and it would be evil to sacrifice the (perhaps temporarily) less fit.
That's fine.
The point is, in that particular quote, Darwin says while it would be evil to abandon the "weak", the "weak" are a detriment to the human species.

ophiura

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2584830
I didn't say Hawkins believed that, but that he said it could be possible. I do know, that 200 or so years from now, they'll look at at the evolution theory
and laugh saying an you believe these morons believed that. Just like we do about geocentricity. Especially with some of the rediculous stretches they make. An adeptation sure ok. But a totally new species? Still waiting for one to pop up.
You question a guy about the theory of evolution, you won't get a serious answer but a fervent attack at everything. (see mr. T's little rubish comment) This is the religion to these folks.
I do love the acceptance of Moore's or Gore's film. But a documentary running contrary to the lefts religious's views gets hammered.

Ah, another wonderful accurate completely pointless evolution thread.
PLEASE at least do a search on what a SCIENTIFIC THEORY is so you can speak the same language as a scientist. Your definition is different from a scientist. It is unfortunate that we refuse to even speak the same language. We accomplish nothing in these threads except perpetuating misinformation, on both sides, quite regularly.
BTW, it is not MY religion, and I am an evolutionary biologist, so I won't complain about "you Creationist people" if you don't do the same with me. You have no right to misrepresent what I believe about God. Please, folks, be careful with your implications.
Ideas have been abused, misinterpreted, misapplied by people throughout history. And just because some plaque in a zoo says something, does not mean it is modern scientific understanding.
Man these threads are frustrating.

socal57che

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2587431
PLEASE at least do a search on what a SCIENTIFIC THEORY is so you can speak the same language as a scientist. Your definition is different from a scientist. It is unfortunate that we refuse to even speak the same language. We accomplish nothing in these threads except perpetuating misinformation, on both sides, quite regularly.
BTW, it is not MY religion, and I am an evolutionary biologist, so I won't complain about "you Creationist people" if you don't do the same with me. You have no right to misrepresent what I believe about God. Please, folks, be careful with your implications.
Ideas have been abused, misinterpreted, misapplied by people throughout history. And just because some plaque in a zoo says something, does not mean it is modern scientific understanding.
Where have you been? I had almost given up on you.

stdreb27

Hey now, please understand the tenor of the post which I posted. They are "generalizations" not refering to everyone. And from past experiences with people most of the time I am not intellectually stimulated by debates regarding a difference of opinion. More often then not especially when discussing with an athiest, (which can and tends to turn to ID or evolution) turns into basically an attack on my faith and the "how can you be so stupid as to believe in a higher being." While I am proposed to just accept (by I'm assuming faith) that we somehow are all here by cosmic coincidence. Somehow the earth has the correct amount of water, right distance to the sun, and all the other lighting strike twice in the same place type circumstances to allow for life on the planet. While being told that I just "peddle lies" and or refering to my belief system as "rubbish." Many times if I disagree with someone regarding evolution, I get the same reaction as I do when discussing religious topics like calvinism. I get attacked, cut off and disparaged. I get the impression that to many evolution is as sacred to them as some aspect of religion is to me thus the, "This is the religion to these folks." But I am by no means saying literally that evolution is your religion. Maybe implying that to most who do follow it blindly that it is as sacred as religion.
I by no means am an expert in evolutionary biology. In reality I'm basically a layman. And I'm not dumb, so I do understand there will be differences between different evolutionary theorists. But even I am going to lump evolutionary thoughts together as the same. Evolution. so when I walk into the fort worth zoo and see them say, we are "cousins" or have common "early primate" ansestors. To me the guy who isn't a biology nut that means monkey.
The main problem I have is that it is refered to as fact. The concept of the discussed movie is just that. When it needs a caviot. And personally, just like geocentricity, I think they are going to make some new discovery and decide well we were wrong. and have some new theory to how the world started.

sharkbait9

NOW I HAVE TO JUMP ON.
OPHIURA, EVO or ID its a thread and if it hurts your feeling...... deal with it. These people are having a conversation. Conversations can hurt peoples feelings whether they mean it or not.
By you feeling obligated to thrust your opinionated teachers views that you absorbed out on a thread so people “tread lightly” breaks down the openness of conversation for fear or a “thread lock” or hurting ones feeling. That’s selfish with your “studies”

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2588077
NOW I HAVE TO JUMP ON.
OPHIURA, EVO or ID its a thread and if it hurts your feeling...... deal with it. These people are having a conversation. Conversations can hurt peoples feelings whether they mean it or not.
By you feeling obligated to thrust your opinionated teachers views that you absorbed out on a thread so people “tread lightly” breaks down the openness of conversation for fear or a “thread lock” or hurting ones feeling. That’s selfish with your “studies”
She never asked for the conversation to end.
She did ask for the members of the conversation, on both sides, to try to stick to facts and debate the real issue.
Ophiura is not a teacher. She is a tremendously respected expert in her field.
Trust me Sharkbait, anytime I find myself on the other side of a debate with Ophiura I seriously examine my position...

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2588499
She did ask for the members of the conversation, on both sides, to try to stick to facts and debate the real issue.
Trust me Sharkbait, anytime I find myself on the other side of a debate with Ophiura I seriously examine my position...
I think I make steam come out her ears.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2588500
I think I make steam come out her ears.
Nah, she's a sweetheart. She has just been on the wrong end too many times of uneducated zealots waving pitchforks and wanting to burn her at the stake for studying the evolution of Sea Stars.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2588504
Nah, she's a sweetheart. She has just been on the wrong end too many times of uneducated zealots waving pitchforks and wanting to burn her at the stake for studying the evolution of Sea Stars.
Yeah, and my comments from experiencing it from the opposite side of the spectrum, it was not ment to insult her. Even if I don't agree with her, she is very good at providing an excellect argument for her position. vs some other arguments posed in this thread. When someone knows their position better than you know your position the best thing to do is listen to theirs.

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2588499
No, I know she was not asking for it to stop. She interjected with her feelings about the subject, not for or against or her views but merely -
“You have no right to misrepresent what I believe about God. Please, folks, be careful with your implications”
I did not read anyone saying that oph “believes” or “feels” That’s wrong. Sure, you and everyone else in this world has the right to spout off implications and can misrepresent (in someone else’s eyes) about religion or what ever else a conversation is about. You may lose credibility on the board but you have the right to free speech. With out fear of anything, including “thread lock”
Now, when it comes to a lot of things I will in fact bow down to OPH and you. I may not agree with some on certain “fact” or what have you but I can be an honest person and say there are a few members that are way ahead of the game when it comes to this hobby.
My hair goes up when I see someone (a mod) trying to thrust their will on someone else, or quite them down for speaking out or possibly hurting someone’s feeling.
Oph, I apologize if you think I was attacking you as a person, that was not my intentions. I reread what I wrote and see my fingers were a little slower then what I was thinking.
I meant to write “thrust your teachers opinionated views on others”
I’m a little jaded with professors as all thru college I found a lot of professors to be opinionated and not willing to look at other theories that may disprove their own and only willing to teach what they believed was right.