help protien skimmer not working

zoidberg01

My protein Skimmer does not bubble or suck water it only makes the noise and my nitrite and ammonia levels are going up what's wrong

2quills

Check the pump impeller for blockage?
Check the air line going to the pumps intake as well.

2quills

I'd pull the impeller cover off of the pump and check it. Sometimes they just get jammed a little bit.

2quills

Something could have gotten sucked into it and bound up or even unseated the impeller. Sometimes impeller shafts crack/break. Even on new pumps. It's best to open it up, pull out the impeller, check it, clean it and put it back together. Check inside the pump while you have it open and look for any blockages. What kind of skimmer is it?
Sometimes they just get air locked/stuck and you can't get them running again by simply blowing down the air tube on the front of the pump.

flower

2Quills addressed the possible reasons the skimmer isn't working...but just so you know this...the nitrates do not go up because you don't have a skimmer. The skimmer does not remove nor control nitrates or phosphates, it only removes the organic stuff (algae food) from the water. Your nitrate spike is the result of some other issue.

2quills

2Quills addressed the possible reasons the skimmer isn't working...but just so you know this...the nitrates do not go up because you don't have a skimmer. The skimmer does not remove nor control nitrates or phosphates, it only removes the organic stuff (algae food) from the water. Your nitrate spike is the result of some other issue.
Skimmers remove dissolved organic compounds, nitrates and phosphates are organic compounds (algae food). It also pulls food and waste particulates as well before they break down into compounds.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397058/help-protien-skimmer-not-working#post_3537988
Skimmers remove dissolved organic compounds, nitrates and phosphates are organic compounds (algae food). It also pulls food and waste particulates as well before they break down into compounds.

No sorry...I disagree...a skimmer will not remove your nitrates. It removes the organic compounds after the nitrates are broken down. All the skimmer does is remove algae food from the tank, it does help with oxygen, I'm not sure how...but when we were doing vodka dosing it was super imperative to have a good skimmer or the tank would suffocate, since the algae bacteria whatever blooms from the vodka sucks up oxygen.

It won't matter how high your nitrates are, a skimmer won't do a thing about it.

2quills

Pretty sure nitrates are in the nitrogen family.
Here's probably one of the most in depth annalisys done on skimmate if your curious.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397058/help-protien-skimmer-not-working#post_3537997
Pretty sure nitrates are in the nitrogen family.
Here's probably one of the most in depth annalisys done on skimmate if your curious.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

LOL...I just went through this whole thing on another thread....look up an article titled.

Nitrogen Cycle | in depth

www.reefscapes.net/articles/articles/2002/nitrogencycle.html

The article will explain it better. I know the stuff in skimmate has nitrogen, but it isn't the same as the nitrates that is polluting a fish tank and killing corals. Skimmate, if you were to remix it with some water and re-add it to the tank, will feed the corals and algae.

2quills

I think you missed my point. The point is without the skimmer your nitrate and phosphate problems would be worse. Like you said, skimmate is algae and even coral food.
If you caught the analysis skimmers do concentrate phosphates and nitrogens as well as other organic and inorganic compounds.

beaslbob

Quote:Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397058/help-protien-skimmer-not-working#post_3538001
I think you missed my point. The point is without the skimmer your nitrate and phosphate problems would be worse. Like you said, skimmate is algae and even coral food.
If you caught the analysis skimmers do concentrate phosphates and nitrogens as well as other organic and inorganic compounds.

I with respect disagree.
In a tank balanced out by macro algaes or algae on a algae turf scrubber, nitrates and phosphates can be unmeasureable with or without a skimmer.
So it is not guaranteed nitrates and phosphates will rise with the removal of a skimmer.
All that mya happen is the Algae (refugium macros or the turf algae) and corals just grow faster.
Still that's just my .02

2quills

Quote:Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397058/help-protien-skimmer-not-working#post_3538001

I with respect disagree.
In a tank balanced out by macro algaes or algae on a algae turf scrubber, nitrates and phosphates can be unmeasureable with or without a skimmer.
So it is not guaranteed nitrates and phosphates will rise with the removal of a skimmer.
All that mya happen is the Algae (refugium macros or the turf algae) and corals just grow faster.
Still that's just my .02
Correct. But not everyone wants extra nuisance algae growing in the display.
Without adequate nitrogen or phosphorus consumption via macros then what's going to happen if one all of a sudden pulls a skimmer from a system? Like you said, "algae may grow".
I think were on the same page just different paragraphs lol.
Tanks with skimmers have less dingy looking water IMO. I probably wouldn't attempt SPS without one.
Do you know of any examples of those systems that don't run a skimmer?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397058/help-protien-skimmer-not-working#post_3538006
Correct. But not everyone wants extra nuisance algae growing in the display.
Without adequate nitrogen or phosphorus consumption via macros then what's going to happen if one all of a sudden pulls a skimmer from a system? Like you said, "algae may grow".
I think were on the same page just different paragraphs lol.
Tanks with skimmers have less dingy looking water IMO. I probably wouldn't attempt SPS without one.
Do you know of any examples of those systems that don't run a skimmer?

Nope...I kept a skimmer on my reef too. They have their place that's for sure, we want to feed corals to make them big and healthy, not algae.

I was addressing the nitrate problem that Zoidberg was talking about, his skimmer being on the fritz is not what caused his nitrate spike problem.

3dees

he never said anything about nitrates. he mentioned nitrites and ammonia. something is wrong but it's not because the skimmer stopped working. many people run skimmerless tanks. it has no effect on nitrites or ammonia.

2quills

If he has ammonia then that's clearly a sign of a bigger problem.
Ammonia breaks down into nitrite and then to nitrate etc. It's all Nitrogen. And it comes from organics. Stuff which skimmers pull out. So IMO it's all connected. That's all i'm saying lol.
Did anybody actually read the analysis? It Does have an effect. To what degree is arguable from one system to the next.