help protien skimmer not working

zoidberg01

It didn't go up its because I fed them a few hermit crabs and looks like they did not ate all of it and it's decaying

flower

I for one am not disagreeing...I say only that if the original poster has high nitrates, it is not because his skimmer took a dump. Any tiny amount of it the skimmer does remove, wouldn't make a dent in the nitrates anyway.

Pegasus claims the skimmer is the heart (but kind of changed that stand) of the filtration system, and that it actually removes dead waste material, and prevents the spikes of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates before it can be detected in the system.

geridoc

I have been running my 40 gallon system with fish and corals for over a year without using a skimmer, just a very aggressive algae turf scrubber and have no detectable phosphate or nitrate. I do monthly water changes and other than mechanical disasters (hurricane sandy,, etc) everyone seems fine in the tank. OTOH, I do run a skimmer on my 220 FOWLR as well as an algae scrubber, and that tank is doing well too. You pays your money (invariably, lots of it) and you takes your choice. I think either system can work well.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///t/397058/help-protien-skimmer-not-working/20#post_3538076
I have been running my 40 gallon system with fish and corals for over a year without using a skimmer, just a very aggressive algae turf scrubber and have no detectable phosphate or nitrate. I do monthly water changes and other than mechanical disasters (hurricane sandy,, etc) everyone seems fine in the tank. OTOH, I do run a skimmer on my 220 FOWLR as well as an algae scrubber, and that tank is doing well too. You pays your money (invariably, lots of it) and you takes your choice. I think either system can work well.

LOL...Well said..+1

2quills

Yep, my scrubber was working great. So great that I got tired of cleaning it all the time. I see a lot of folks dropping one for the other. I recently took my scrubber out and converted to a regular refugium. I have an over sized skimmer that I only have to empty once every two weeks or so that takes less than 5 minutes to clean. Gonna run it like that for a while and see if there's any difference in nutrient levels.
Either way your gonna have maintenance in one area or another. Just depends on ones preference I suppose.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397058/help-protien-skimmer-not-working/20#post_3538086
Yep, my scrubber was working great. So great that I got tired of cleaning it all the time. I see a lot of folks dropping one for the other. I recently took my scrubber out and converted to a regular refugium. I have an over sized skimmer that I only have to empty once every two weeks or so that takes less than 5 minutes to clean. Gonna run it like that for a while and see if there's any difference in nutrient levels.
Either way your gonna have maintenance in one area or another. Just depends on ones preference I suppose.

Oh so true...

I would get really tired, really fast of a turf scrubber...I certainly don't blame you there...cleaning it every week would drive me crazy...I opted for macroalgae...but I have no corals to concern myself with (a few mushrooms...don't count) My tanks are macroalgae loaded, corals would be covered over, the seahorses hitch to it and being such messy eaters, I need it. I only harvest every 2 to 3 months or so. Best $24.00 I ever spent (shipping $14.00 macro $10.00).

I still run my skimmer on the 90g...I get some foam, but it dries up and doesn't really leave any liquid skimmate...just nasty thick mud like stuff on the inside of the cup...I scoop the gunk off (smells really bad)and wash clean it about once a month, the cup never needs actually "emptying" anymore.

Like you said...whatever we do, there is maintenance...it's all a mater of choice. As long as we see happy 0s for NO3, NO4 and PO4, life is good.