ich- what exact methods do we know for sure work?

mauler

I can't remember the exact study but I know that studies have been done and they haven't found the ick parasite in the stomach of a cleaner wrasse

mauler

I believe it was in a tank with ick infected fish I'll have to look it up to go give you specifics

bang guy

I believe you are right. They are nearly microscopic so I doubt a Cleaner Shrimp could see them. The white spots we see are their bodies reaction to the parasite, not the parasite itself.

seecrabrun

Lots of myths out there.

The temp is another one. Yes warm, as in 78-82 would be the ideal temp for it to reproduce, which is what everyone keeps their tanks at.
Higher and they go dormant to protect themselves just like cold.

jay0705

Lots of myths out there.

The temp is another one. Yes warm, as in 78-82 would be the ideal temp for it to reproduce, which is what everyone keeps their tanks at.
Do u have your own book? Lol

mauler

Lots of myths out there.

Actually I believe raising the temperature only works in freshwater unless you raise the temp to around 90° which would kill your fish.

jay0705

Sw ich has to be the one disease w a 100 diff cures lol
we know copper and hypo kill it. What about garlic, metaflex, ect actually wrk or the fish just beat ich on there own?

seecrabrun

No I don't have a book and don't claim to know that much but I did research the crap out of ich when I started and read the research on dormant tomonts, the life cycle of ****** and everything. That's why I decided the tank transfer method was the best for fish. But I'm still trying to find a good answer for the rest.

I was hoping there was something out there that I was missing, but it doesn't look like there is.

As for the other "cures" a lot of them are just getting the fish healthy to fight it off, not actually killing the parasite.

mauler

Garlic and other things like it actually don't do much for curing it either the only sure ways of curing ick are hypo, copper and tank transfer. There are some meds out that can cure it as well like metroplex, chloroquine phosphate and a few others they're supposed to be effective against multiple parasites and/or bacterial problems.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The best thing is to find a seller who you trust who will tell you the truth about where the corals have been and who displays in his/her shop corals/invert tanks that are kept separated from fish tanks and water circulated through fish tanks. Also, soft corals that are not attached to rocks are safe, and all inverts that do not have hard shell surfaces are safe. So many corals are safe. Live rock, live sand coming from tanks, inverts with shells, sps, and soft corals that come attached to rocks pose some risk.

Personally, I would not QT corals for more than 3 weeks, and that is all I QT fish as well. Ich will show up on fish within 3 weeks if it is there.

jay0705

Maybe a stupid question, but u say soft inverts are safe. Say a nem it will still be wet even if u empty bag water. Would that wetness be a concern?

seecrabrun

No it's a method that takes advantage of the behavior of the parasite...

You transfer the fish from one sterile container to another ritually over a 2 week span.
You can do it every one day, two days, but it needs to be within 72 hours each time.

Each container and all accessories must be sterile each time and do not use a net or transfer any water from one container to the next.

That's the basic details of it

mauler

It's a lot of work. You'll need a a few tanks are to do this you basically move the fish from one tank to a new one over and over again so that when the ick falls off the fish it gets dumped it uses a lot of water and salt since your having to refill these tanks unroll the fish are cured it works well from what I've read but it's not the most practical method especially if you a lot of fish or big fish and it's very time consuming.

jay0705

No it's a method that takes advantage of the behavior of the parasite...

You transfer the fish from one sterile container to another ritually over a 2 week span.
You can do it every one day, two days, but it needs to be within 72 hours each time.

Each container and all accessories must be sterile each time and do not use a net or transfer any water from one container to the next.

That's the basic details of it
Ah never heard of that. Thank u

seecrabrun

It's worth the added effort and cost to me, but what's the point if I end up bringing ich in on something else? That's why I'm trying to be hypervigilant.