It's true... a reef safe ich med that actually works!

mile_high

The MODs do have a good point about the stop parasite . As NM REEF said it kills the paraites that are effecting you fish now. but others are lying waiting to hatch and swim looking for a new host. This gives you a window of oppertunity. to at least kill off a generation. Chem marine suggests that a weekely dose be given even to healthy systems. Also just because a battle is won doesn't mean a victory. There is no offence like a good deffence. Up until my battle with ich I was a bring it home and toss it in the tank guy. NOw I have taken extra precautions to keep ich out of my system. Such as QT on anything new . not just fish but plants and corals too the little eggs can sneak in the back door too . A uv steralizer has also been added . I WILL AGREE it's not a mirecal cure but it is a very effective tool in battling ich when combined with a little knowlage of keeping it away.
I think every kind of medacine has to start out as a snake oil. A

oceana

lets say that it did 100% take care of your ich. what other benifical things in your tank did it kill?? the problem is that we really dont know the answer to that question. adding meds to your main tank should ALWAYS be a very very last resort. even then it is sitll a very bad idea. you will be hard pressed to find many long term reef keepers that will dissagree.
take 10 of the best reefs you can find on this board or any board for that matter and show me how many of them would have no problem pouring that stuff into the main tank.

wildclown

i just wanted to say that i lost all my fish to ick about a month ago i tried kick ick and then hypo to try save them sadly they all parished i just baught new fish from SWF.com and low and behold my powder brown came down with ick after four days and he had it bad i went to the lfs and baught three cleaner shrimp they seem to want to help but he wont let them near him this is now day five and last night at 3:00 AM i went to wal-mart lol and baught AP pro quick cure i dosed the tank and hoped for the best this morning there is no ick on any fish in the tank does it work? i think so it deffanatly does not go along with the life cycle of the parisite
day one fis introduced in tank
day two no sighn of ick
day three no ick
day four ick outbrake baught cleaners at 11:00AM
day five 3:00AM baught product and dosed tank
day five 2:00PM no ick
what do you think?
i think meds can work you just have to find the right ones

saltwater8

Why not use Hyposalinity and a med at the same time?
Hyposalinity and Cupramine or
Hyposalinity and Chem Marin's Stop Parasite

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Chem Marin's Stop Parasite is a pepper based medication. The pepper irritates the fish, causing excessive slime coat production. The idea is that the parasite will either not be able to attach or will fall off due to the excessive slime coat.
It may work, and may not work. If you have a reef tank and just can't rip apart your tank to QT fish, then you may try this just like you try garlic....both are homeopathic treatments. It may work. It may not work. The bottom line is: learn your lesson the first time you intro ich to your display and just don't repeat doing that.
The cure is QT your fish.
Do you think it is healthy for fish to be forced to excret slime?
Do you think hot pepper is a good thing for a reef tank?
If the answer to this is "yes", then by all means use it! LOL

robpsca

we had our fish in quaranteen for almost 5 weeks gravity down to .008 read on a link on here to take it down that low last week of hypo the LFS said that if it had dropped to .007 for 1 or 2 days it could have killed the fish anyway about 4 days after putting them back in the tank the ick is back while in hypo we added more LR and couple of corals probably had ick on them or something but now with the added rock and the corals set in place dont know how we are going to catch the fish the cowfish is easy but the chromis, foxface and powder blue tang dont know if were gonna be able to catch them we have a couple cleaner shrimp garlic xtreme just wondering if the fish will be able to fight it off w/out quaranteen? or if theres anything else to help fight it off w/o having to catch and qt them?
also putting vitamins in there food

saltwater8

Easiest way to catch a fish is to use a quarantine screen. Put the screen or glass in your tank at a slant, coax the fish into the smaller section with food or something and then close the screen.
:happyfish

crimzy

Originally Posted by robPSca
we had our fish in quaranteen for almost 5 weeks gravity down to .008 read on a link on here to take it down that low last week of hypo the LFS said that if it had dropped to .007 for 1 or 2 days it could have killed the fish anyway about 4 days after putting them back in the tank the ick is back while in hypo we added more LR and couple of corals probably had ick on them or something but now with the added rock and the corals set in place dont know how we are going to catch the fish the cowfish is easy but the chromis, foxface and powder blue tang dont know if were gonna be able to catch them we have a couple cleaner shrimp garlic xtreme just wondering if the fish will be able to fight it off w/out quaranteen? or if theres anything else to help fight it off w/o having to catch and qt them?
also putting vitamins in there food
Your situation is exactly the reason I wanted to let everyone know about this med. that works. You've tried hypo and qt with no success. I'd recommend giving this product a try... it's a 5 day treatment and isn't all that complicated to use.

granny

Wow, what a discussion! In all my years of fishkeeping, I have never had an outbreak of ich (unless it was beyond my current brain memory capabilities!!)
Just lucky, maybe, but I am fastidious in all my tanks. I work 40 hours a week to earn money, then another 40 (it seems) watching, cleaning, and changing water.
I also use a diatom filter periodically.
But it appears to me that when people are having fish dying in front of them, cant catch the fish, nothing else has worked, then this med is the thing to try!!

sufunk

I am by no means questioning you guys. You know more than i ever will probably but i think i speak for alot of us that cant have a qt tank. I barely have room and funds for my 36g main tank. much less the knowledge,lol. Even if i did have 1 though or i wanted to hypo, how do i get the fish out? I can only imagine how nice and full your guys reef tanks are with lr and corals. Mine is probably bare in comparision and its impossible to get a small fish out of my tank. I have a basselet now( 1 inch) that i fear has ick. He stays under the rockwork and is amazingly fast. I cant catch him without literally taking every single thing out of the tank. Even though its not the best method, if we cant hypo or qt, what is your best suggestion? garlic?( this seems effective from past posts and the least harmful to the tank and inhabitants. Please respond, thank you
by the way , im tryin to save for a qt tank so hopefully it wont be a problem soon but for now i need other help

saltn00b

QT with hypo is the way to go, Prevention is the cure.
however, there are some rare occasions where you might introduce ick unwittingly from a piece of LR, or Coral, and get a sudden mysterious outbreak in your tank where you can likely not catch a fish - then as a last resort, try this product if people are reporting success with it. Do not rely on it, and take the easy way out, its simply not worth it.

L

lpuzon

i bought this med today, and actually put it right away. how soon can i see the result? i'm putting my faith on this one....

sepulatian

Stop Parasites is a wonderfull med, but you all should know that it does not kill ich. It helps keep it off of your fish. The ich will still be alive and active in your display. Hypo is the best way to go to kill ich off for good. I use stop parasites myself to keep the ich off, but to rid it of your display either hypo or take your fish out and let it run fishless for 6 weeks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really support this type of medication, however, if the parasite can not attach to fish, then the life-cycle should be broken, ie: killed.

C

captmorgan

thats what i dont understand how can it work if the life cycle is 3-28 days, after 5 days the ick can appear afteruse

scsinet

Some, but possibly not all, of the people posting in here have yet to get a grasp on the life cycle of this organism.
As any military officer will tell you, the first rule of combat is to know your enemy.
Several posts on here mention throwing the med (any med) in the tank and the ich disappearing. What they don't understand is that this is part of the normal life cycle of the crypt parasite. The reality is that it takes MONTHS if not a YEAR or even NEVER to be relatively sure that crypt is eradicated from your system.
It will drop off the fish, only to return later, in varying degrees. Even if you go for a month without seeing it again, that does not mean that it is still not alive in well, hosting on your fish in such small numbers that you don't see it. Technically, I'd wager that you can never be sure it's gone. The only time you see it is when you suffer a major outbreak because a fish is suseptible to it from stress resulting from any number of factors such as shipping, poor water quality, bad husbandry, etc.
I guess I'm saying that it's unknown as yet whether or not this medication works. It might get the parasite to drop off the fish, but I seriously doubt it eradicates it from the system. If you don't halt the environmental circumstances that caused the outbreak in the first place, it'll be back...

cwgibson

Stop Parasites is made from many different agents. One speeds up the fish's natural slime coat causing parasites to detach themselves. Another attracts parasites as a non-nutritional food source. Others speed up appetite and build the immune system. Will not harm internal organs of fish. why wouldnt you support this med if it works? i think hypo is more of a stressful situation for the fish

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Some, but possibly not all, of the people posting in here have yet to get a grasp on the life cycle of this organism.
As any military officer will tell you, the first rule of combat is to know your enemy.
Several posts on here mention throwing the med (any med) in the tank and the ich disappearing. What they don't understand is that this is part of the normal life cycle of the crypt parasite. The reality is that it takes MONTHS if not a YEAR or even NEVER to be relatively sure that crypt is eradicated from your system.
It will drop off the fish, only to return later, in varying degrees. Even if you go for a month without seeing it again, that does not mean that it is still not alive in well, hosting on your fish in such small numbers that you don't see it. Technically, I'd wager that you can never be sure it's gone. The only time you see it is when you suffer a major outbreak because a fish is suseptible to it from stress resulting from any number of factors such as shipping, poor water quality, bad husbandry, etc.
I guess I'm saying that it's unknown as yet whether or not this medication works. It might get the parasite to drop off the fish, but I seriously doubt it eradicates it from the system. If you don't halt the environmental circumstances that caused the outbreak in the first place, it'll be back...
don't get me wrong. i would still do hypo on my fishes. i believe in it. i just need a fast solution now because it's becoming of all my fishes, plus the fact that i don't have a QT. if i would set up now, it would still take 1 to 2 wks before i can use it. by then, all my fishes could be gone...