Mass disaster!!!

velbar

So I have had My tank up and going in its latest configuration for a year maybe 2. I came into a little money where I could add to the tank again and made a decent order,
reef package with jades, mated pair of sea horses,a pair of rock anemones, candy coral, and purple nana coral.
I acclimated the sea horses and starfish for 4+ hrs and they were doing beautiful all that time, the banded shrimp and emerald crabs were acclimated 2+ hours and were also doing great. after the acclimation times each critter was added to the tank.
as of 10am today, roughly 24 hrs since they arrived and acclimation began everything other than snails and crabs (hermit and emerald) is dead.
from this order both sea horses died, the banded shrimp died, as did both the rock anemone.
that was living in the tank prior to the addition of this order,clown fish, two yellow tangs, a flame angel, a blue damsel, a lawn mower blennie, a green chromis, 2 cleaner shrimp. I had the water tested and did it Myself and in all cases other than a rise in NO3 everything was in acceptable ranges. the only thing I can think of is a parasite or disease that was brought in by the latest order because not only did the new order die swiftly so did the previously healthy fish. the clown fish and damsels had been with Me for several years as was one of the tangs..... I am at a complete loss and heart broken over all this.
I am scrambling to get a small tank set up to try and save the starfish and crabs and snails but I am not sure I can put anything back in the tank because I dont have a clue which of them, if any, is the culprit.
Mike

meowzer

WOW.....MASS FAIL on your part adding what you put in!!!!
You added seahorses with anemones, a coral banded shrimp and hermits

what size tank are you talking about.....???? I have to question this whole post

velbar

its a 155 gal tank set up for reef. for as long as I can remember I have kept, anemone and crabs in the same tank as well as shrimp...the only thing really new to me was the sea horses.
in any case they didnt eat each other to death...there seemed to be normal activity and one by one a fish or critter started keeling over....so I still have to question WHAT killed them all...
I am in the process of draining the whole tank and set up to clean it up...new substrate , water , ever thing

btldreef

The issue isn't with the fact that you added hermits and shrimp, etc at the same time, but more so with the fact that Seahorses DO NOT belong in a reef setting with shrimp and hermits and anemones.
Did you do any research on seahorses before purchase? You should now if you haven't, and you'll realize what went wrong there.
If the anemones died or got sucked through a powerhead, that could have nuked your tank, which is another thought.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velbar http:///t/388096/mass-disaster#post_3420332
its a 155 gal tank set up for reef. for as long as I can remember I have kept, anemone and crabs in the same tank as well as shrimp...the only thing really new to me was the sea horses.
in any case they didnt eat each other to death...there seemed to be normal activity and one by one a fish or critter started keeling over....so I still have to question WHAT killed them all...
I am in the process of draining the whole tank and set up to clean it up...new substrate , water , ever thing
What a mess....I didn't realize you lost every single fish, what a horrible thing to happen....You came into some money and it soon disappeared....
Here is a couple of books you really need before you go broke purchasing critters that do not belong together. Hope you can get back to happier times.

And a page so you can see the info they offer

flower

I hope you stay here on the site, and before ordering or doing anything drastic, put a feeler out on the site and see what folks say.

mproctor4

Obviously it was a mistake to add seahorses to this tank and they could have died from any number of things. But it does not answer the OP's question to why all of his healthy fish that had been in the tank died as well.
Velbar--wait a little while and see if you can find some answers before doing anything drastic. If you leave your tank empty for a few weeks it is likely any parasite/disease that is in the tank will die off. Do some water changes, leave the original substrate and rock in the tank, and just let it set empty for 6-8 weeks.There is no need to totally start over. You are going to loose alot of beneficially bacteria and organisms by changing the rock and substrate. Use this time to think about what direction you want your tank to go in and do alot of reading and research while you wait. Also, this would be a great time to set up a QT tank so this never happens again. Best investment you could ever make.
Sorry for your loss.

kiefers

wow,... sorry to read about your tank critters, I probably would have done the same thing. Acclimating I meant. You obviously have experience in the aquaria. I wonder tho if you have to take everything out versus leave it empty for a couple of months?
On another note, might be a wise idea to start a Quarintine tank in the mean while and stick your new critters in there before introducing them into your DT.
Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.

tur4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/388096/mass-disaster#post_3420306
WOW.....MASS FAIL on your part adding what you put in!!!!
You added seahorses with anemones, a coral banded shrimp and hermits

what size tank are you talking about.....???? I have to question this whole post
Really? The poor guy just lost his entire reef and you are making fun of him because he didn't research a purchase. I'm pretty sure that the majority of us have made at least one purchase without doing the research. You don't need to kick him while he's down.
I don't really see an issue with what he added other than the horses. How about MASS FAIL for a moderator to go around making fun of other people's disasters.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tur4k http:///t/388096/mass-disaster#post_3420509
Really? The poor guy just lost his entire reef and you are making fun of him because he didn't research a purchase. I'm pretty sure that the majority of us have made at least one purchase without doing the research. You don't need to kick him while he's down.
I don't really see an issue with what he added other than the horses. How about MASS FAIL for a moderator to go around making fun of other people's disasters.
Hang on..... I read it that way first too, but I believe she is merely quoting the mass fail part. I don't believe she ment it the way it sounded.

tur4k

Oh. It does come across a little harsh if you don't take the title of the thread into account. My bad.

teresaq

Very sorry for your loss. What type of lighting do you have. I have a feeling there will be a lot of factors in your loss, since you added so many things at once.
4 hr acclimation is quite long, usually one to two hrs is plenty.
Did you acclimate everything in separate containers??
Seahorses are very susceptible to stings from anemones and temps in reef tanks. These are a species that should be kept in a tank of their own at lower temps. Also, what where they eating?? its likely they were not getting enough to eat.
Sounds like some sort of toxin, maybe from the anemones.
Again sorry for your loss.
T

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tur4k http:///t/388096/mass-disaster#post_3420513
Oh. It does come across a little harsh if you don't take the title of the thread into account. My bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tur4k
http:///t/388096/mass-disaster#post_3420509
LOL.....YES, I was copying the title...SORT of.....I do not make fun or people NOR am I usually mean....
I simply stated that the additions were not good, and then asked a question to try to get some more info on the tank itself.....I have had many losses, and YES...I know how it feels.
Now I need to go tell Phil that someone thinks I was mean

bender77

After thinking about it for a bit I would guess an anenome nuked the tank, the new additions were too much bioload for the tank, or maybe something bizarre like a heater malfunction heating the tank or putting electricity in the tank. I guess it could be a parasite but I wouldn't think everything would die that quick. I would test the tank for current and make sure the temperature is ok. +1 to letting the tank run empty for 6 weeks just doing water changes, then slowly start adding stuff back. I don't think I would scrap the tank. Maybe ask for gift certificates to your favorite fish store for Christmas and start adding things back in then.
If you would like seahorses head on over to the seahorse forum to get some ideas. They need their own dedicated tank and if kept with coral or inverts you have to be very careful what types. Nothing that stings or has claws is a good rule

ibew41

if everything died in less than 24 hrs then I don't think its a disease what are your exact test results also what equipment do you have for filtration and water movement?

been there, done that (I lost everything in my tank this january and am just starting to get back on my feet)

IMO the best thing you can do is large (50%) water changes once a week for a month (I do agree that it probably was the anemone)
that should take care of the toxin