New 75g Reef Tank

snakeblitz33

Mardigras parades suck if your not a willing attendant. Got stuck in traffic trying to get a burger for supper.

So far so good. I'm going to stay up until my apex cuts off the lights. Kinda lets me know that it's all working properly. Just one more step in the automation process.

I think I will go ahead and take BRS up on that $10 off offer. it's really not a bad deal for both a skimmer and a kalk doser.

snakeblitz33

Well, I did it. I purchased a Skimz Monzter Mini SN123 protein skimmer, a two little fishies kalk stirrer 300 and some accessories. Probably will be delivered by Friday.

Last thing on my list to purchase before adding fish and corals is lights. I'm considering the photon 48 again. I liked that light.

snakeblitz33

I have been searching a lot about LEDs and I'm thinking about ordering a couple from a group buy on the Internet. They said the spectrum is pretty close to the Radeons that I like a lot.

I got a few things in the mail. A kalk stirrer and a skimz mini monzter SN123. The skimmer came in a long box and only about half of it had stuff. Lol. It was really well packaged and included all the parts in the first place. The only thing I don't like about it is the "micro adjustment" knob. Seems flemsy and poor design. But whatever, can't beat the price for a DC skimmer.

snakeblitz33

i figured out where I am placing the kalk stirrer. Going to try to get it installed some time next month.

I found the first starfish in the tank.

I am going to order a bulk pack of GFO for my phosphate reactor and get it online so that I might can avoid any algae outbreaks.

My maxijet powerheads are starting to be a pain in the rear. I'm thinking about ordering a variable speed jebao powerhead or two maybe next month.

After that, I'll worry about upgrading my lights. its possible I might go for the AI Hydras.

Big plans. :))

snakeblitz33

I'm so tempted to get the kalk stirrer online. Must wait. Must wait.

I might get three more pieces of large rock to finish the aquascape. I need some additional rock anyway.

I'm just about ready to toss the maxijets. The third time one of them has fallen and stirred the sandbed.

I keep on feeding my ghost fish.

Even though there is basically nothing to skim in the tank so far, my new skimmer is breaking in very well and maintained a consistent foam head for the last 24 hours.

So far no diatoms or signs of algae on the rocks and sandbed. It's coming though. It will happen sooner or later.

I came home today and saw that the tanks temp had dropped to nearly 75*F because I didn't leave the heater on or didn't turn it on when I got home. Either I need to buy an additional heater or I need to buy a temp controlled thermostat for the house,... And being a rental, I might as well buy another heater.

I don't want the temperature swinging by five degrees during the course of a day.

snakeblitz33

First signs of microscopic life in the tank today. Diatoms growing on the front glass.

My skimz skimmer is starting to pull green gunk out of the tank even though the tank is still cycling. Good sign it's a great skimmer.

I'm looking forward to the end of the month to run a test or two on it to see how much longer it's going to be before adding some fish.

pegasus

i figured out where I am placing the kalk stirrer. Going to try to get it installed some time next month.

I found the first starfish in the tank.

I am going to order a bulk pack of GFO for my phosphate reactor and get it online so that I might can avoid any algae outbreaks.

My maxijet powerheads are starting to be a pain in the rear. I'm thinking about ordering a variable speed jebao powerhead or two maybe next month.

After that, I'll worry about upgrading my lights. its possible I might go for the AI Hydras.

Big plans. :))
Congrats on the first sign of life!

I bought High Capacity GFO for my dual reactor. It's a little more expensive, but you don't have to use as much, and it lasts longer than regular GFO. Rinsed clean of fines in about 10 seconds (less than a gallon of water).

You already know how I feel about Jebao's... lol!

Throw a couple of Kessils on top of the tank! :cool:

snakeblitz33

I'll probably get the high capacity GFO.

Jebao will get me by for a while until something better comes along. I am using what I got until I pay off what I just purchased.

I don't necessarily like the Kessils. They are ok. I've seen them in action. But I think I really want to try out the cheap Chinese LEDs from the facebook group group buy. Like I said though, the T5s should grow some coralline and some soft corals until I can upgrade.

pegasus

I'll probably get the high capacity GFO.

Jebao will get me by for a while until something better comes along. I am using what I got until I pay off what I just purchased.

I don't necessarily like the Kessils. They are ok. I've seen them in action. But I think I really want to try out the cheap Chinese LEDs from the facebook group group buy. Like I said though, the T5s should grow some coralline and some soft corals until I can upgrade.
Was just kidding about Kessils. I haven't really been impressed by them, either.

I am happy with my T5's. I've been growing a few LPS and a couple of SPS corals under 6 ATI bulbs. I've grown so confident that they'll meet my needs, I ordered a few more SPS corals. Nothing elaborate, just red and green monti caps, pink and green pocilloporas, and a yellow porite. A few moths ago I had to move my frondifera from the middle to the bottom of the tank, partially in the shade, to keep it from bleaching. It's greened back up, been growing great, and sprouting a bunch of new "leaves" from it's base. My duncans have to sit on the bottom, and my hammer has to sit in a far corner. Both have great color and polyp extension, so I'm guessing the lighting is perfect. Other than a couple of paly colonies, the top of my rocks are barren. That's where the new corals come in play. I thought I'd have them by tomorrow, but bad weather on the east coast could "possibly" cause shipping delays, so they won't ship out for another day or two. Better safe than sorry! If these "moderate" corals work out, I'll try a few acros later on. Time will tell...

So yeah... there's nothing wrong with good T5's. ;)

snakeblitz33

Well, today the green filamentous algae started to appear. It's short for now. I expected a lot less then what is growing. But, that's ok, nothing a couple of turbos can't fix.

I'll be getting that GFO and adding sand and rock rubble to my refugium pretty soon. Depending on if my cycle is done yet, I might add some Caulerpa Mexicana that my LFS has right now to try to head off any potential hair algae.

I'll be buying a pillow case and rinsing the dry aragonite in it to try to get rid of the dust before adding it to the fuge. I'm done with dust storms for the time being.

Not this weekend but next, depending on the cycle again, I might add a few peppermint shrimps to take care of the aiptasia before it becomes a problem.

Some of my money and time is now being dedicated towards getting ready for baby #2.... At least I can still have a decent tank this time since I'm working full time again.

pegasus

Some of my money and time is now being dedicated towards getting ready for baby #2.... At least I can still have a decent tank this time since I'm working full time again.
My wife constantly reminds me that there are other things we need to spend money (and time) on besides the fish tanks. It must be a woman thing...

snakeblitz33

LOL - it must be. Though, we pretty much never argue about money. It's more like time/schedule that we don't agree on.

The tank lights are out. I'm ready to pack it in for the night. Night all.

snakeblitz33

More hair algae growing on the glass. That's ok though for now. I'll buy some phosban and get my reactor online soon.

I'm going to break down and have my water tested this weekend to see where it's at so that I can possibly get a few snails and a couple peppermint shrimps this weekend.

I am seeing some hydroids on the glass. And some copepods, so I know the tank is coming along fine.

The skimmer is chugging away and working great. Going to clean it soon. I think I made a really good decision to try it.

Can't wait to get a jebao powerhead in the mail soon. My maxijet had fallen again some time today and had made another dust storm.

I'm looking into getting a current USA Orbit marine LED unit but I'm not sure yet. I MIGHT buy the cheap Chinese fixtures and take a gamble.

Anyways, we are trying to buy a house still. I hope that we move sooner than later so that I don't end up having to rent a tank at my LFS to move. I don't like moving corals around. That would suck but would be the safest thing to do.

The house we are looking at has a perfect spot for a tank and my favorite feature is the wood burning fireplace. :))

Anyways, that's all for now I guess. Good night all.

snakeblitz33

I went to the fish store this morning. I didn't get my water tested but I did buy two turbo snails. Lol.

They acclimated and took right off and attached to the glass. Good sign the tank is either cycled or almost cycled.

I'll get a few peppermints soon to take care of the aiptasia problem.

I figure starting next week I'll start adding one small fish every week or two. I don't know when I'll be moving into a better house so I'll take it slow for now.

snakeblitz33

So I'm thinking about buying two RW15 Jebao pumps with their wireless controllers. Seems like they are pretty good quality and people like them.

To help with the algae problem I'm going to buy some phosphate media and get my reactor online. I got my skimmer working properly again so it should be pulling skimmate like a boss. Between the media, the skimmer working properly, a clean up crew and some macroalgae - the tank should be finished with the initial cycle by the end of this month and the hair algae should go away soon on its own.

I'm looking at adding a DC return pump to my order as well. I like the idea of being able to control it rather than back down the flow with a ball valve.

Apparently the LED light I got for my refugium is pretty good. It's growing hair algae like crazy underneath it. As long as it doesn't get worse in my display tank, it should all be fine.

Another small observation: the coralline algae that is on the rocks has taken on a deeper shade of purple the last few days. I'm guessing it's because the tank is on the end of the initial cycle and is getting ready to stabilize. With the seeded base rock, my tank should completely stabilize pH, alkalinity and other levels within 72 days after the first day... so about 50 days to go before adding corals. That means I have a month and a half to add a few fish and then it's game on!!

I just have to take care of this little hair algae problem in the next few weeks. That shouldn't be a problem.

snakeblitz33

I ordered GFO last night from Amazon. Someone on there was selling a pound of it for $15, which I thought was a really good deal compared to other name brands. GFO is GFO as far as I am concerned. I think this "high capacity" and "my product is better" kind of stuff just to sell it for a higher price is a gimmick that I'm going to avoid.

I ordered some beard balm and wax too with my amazon order. My beard is growing unruly and needs some taming. lol. Next November I will have a yeard - a one year beard. I'm excited to see what it looks like. Since there are so many other men that use balms and waxes for their beards and moustaches, I might as well give it a try as well.

I stirred a bunch of hair algae up in the refugium earlier. Im going to clean the course filter media after it clears up. My skimz skimmer is actually doing pretty good right now. I'm pretty happy with it. It has produced about a half a cup of dark green skimmate, even though the only living things in the tank is snails. I'm going to also clean and replace the filter socks today.

Maybe if the ice on the roads melts this afternoon, I'll go ahead and go to the hardware store to buy some tubing for the kalkwasser reactor and the adapters I need to hook up the phosphate reactor. I should be getting the GFO in the mail by the end of the month, if not sooner. The GFO and killing the display lights and doing some light maintenance should help clear up the algae issues. At least I know the tank will be completely cycled by the end of the month and will be ready for fish soon.

My live fish store doesn't order but once or twice during the winter months. In spring he has a lot more selection. I might order my first batch of inverts and fish online.

snakeblitz33

I cleaned my skimz a little while ago and got the skimmate out of it. Within an hour, it already has a new foam head and has produced a little skimmate. That's a pretty good skimmer, I would think. I'm wondering how good it would work if there were actual fish in there. Can't wait to get some tank mates for the tank. The hardest part of this hobby is the waiting.