New 75g Reef Tank

eric b 125

Is the plumbing of the full siphon and open channel submerged in the sump? You need to have both of them 1-2" below the (constant) water level of the sump

snakeblitz33

hopefully when I get home I'll see the tank cleared up.

I wish I could go by the fish store today and buy some base rock and make a structure or two this evening. The Texas holy rock that the LFS sells is heavy,... I was looking for some lace rock which seems to be a little lighter.

We well just have to see what pans out this week. I also need to take the tanks salinity reading again after the water clears to see what it's at now.

snakeblitz33

So the cloudy water has cleared up for the most part.

Salinity is at 1.026.

The temperature has taken 12 hours to increase by 10 degrees Fahrenheit. It's now 77.1*F. If it stays stable at that temp, that would be great.

The noisiest thing on the tank now is the glass holes overflow. Lol. I'll put in a little filter floss which should quiet it down quite a bit.

So far so good.

bang guy

Snake, the salt will always dissolve. That's never an issue. Doesn't sound like this is the case this time but a problem can arise if the Calcium and Carbonate components are not dissolved quickly enough they can concentrate and react into Calcium carbonate. The result is water that has a perfect salinity but low in Calcium, Carbonate, and Magnesium.

snakeblitz33

Wouldn't calcium carbonate form as a precipitate though? I would think that I would see little white grains or a white film develop on the glass. That hasn't happened so far. I've seen what dumping alkalinity in a tank will do to it - it will precipitate out almost all the calcium in the water column and will form a layer of calcium carbonate on everything - it has to be chipped away with a razor blade. That isn't really the case right now for me - it's more like the water being cloudy for some reason or another. I'm giving it another 24 hours or so to clear up some more. I'm sure it will balance out even more over night. It was almost clear this evening.

If it is still cloudy in a couple of days, I'll test the calcium and alkalinity to see where its sitting, and go from there - either having to empty and start again or going ahead with the plan. I wouldn't feel so bad for having to empty it this time because I didn't have to lift a finger to put water in it.

I think my refrigerators compressor is louder than my pump at this point, so I guess I'm not as worried about it. My wife said she liked the noise of the trickling water. I think I still want to put some filter floss in it.

I have a few things that I want to order...

1. Skimz Monzter mini 143 protein skimmer... even though I really don't need it for a few months....
2. Kalkwasser stirrer,... even though I won't need it for a while...
3. lighting system...lm not sure if I want to build a canopy or just let the light sit over the tank.

pegasus

#3: It depends on the location of the tank. If it's in the family room where you might want to turn down the lights in the evening and don't want the tank's light spilling all over the room, then definitely a canopy. If light flooding the room isn't an issue, sit it over the tank. My wife likes it dark in the den while watching tv, so I didn't have a choice for either tank. Even when I had my little QT set up with an LED lamp on top, she was quick to lay a towel in front of the light so it didn't shine into the room. Women can be fickle about little things like that... lol!

snakeblitz33

Lol. Thankfully, my wife doesn't care.

I'm looking at getting two cheap Chinese LED lights eventually. But I'm open to suggestions.

For the kalk stirrer, I was looking at buying a two little fishies one, but the more I read reviews, the more I'm considering using a more expensive brand. I know im getting ahead of myself.

This week I'll be spending my money on live rock and base rock and getting the aquascape set up.

While I wait on buying fish, I'll save for a couple of powerheads. I'm still waiting for a sweet deal on a couple MP40s. Lol

pegasus

Cool. I don't even know what brand my lights are, or who made them. Cheap Chinese T5 HO's, with American made 5 year ballasts in them. There are a lot of options available when it comes to lighting. Kalk, too. I've seen a few articles on the 2LF, and there were quite a few negative reviews. I'd have to pass on it myself.

A couple of MP40's in your new 75G? Dayum... that'd be sweet!!! Hope it works out and the deal comes through.

bang guy

Wouldn't calcium carbonate form as a precipitate though? I would think that I would see little white grains or a white film develop on the glass. That hasn't happened so far. I've seen what dumping alkalinity in a tank will do to it - it will precipitate out almost all the calcium in the water column and will form a layer of calcium carbonate on everything - it has to be chipped away with a razor blade. That isn't really the case right now for me - it's more like the water being cloudy for some reason or another. I'm giving it another 24 hours or so to clear up some more. I'm sure it will balance out even more over night. It was almost clear this evening.
Yep, you've seen it before so I'm sure you would recognize it. Keep in mind though that just a tiny amount of it will cloud the water. But, you would at least see a film on the container.

You might want to stop stirring it to let it settle to see if it rises or sinks.

snakeblitz33

I think I'm going to try the 2LF kalk stirrer. From what I keep reading, it seems to me like people don't know how to work with kalkwasser. They just put the powder in the reactor body and then add water- and that just not how you should do it. It will gum up and be a hard paste if you do it like that. Your actually supposed to mix the kalk in water first and shake it to make it into a slurry before adding it to your reactor. Lol. I'm going to try out the 2LF kalk stirrer afterall. I'll probably end up ordering one in a month or so.

I'm kinda just looking right now. I like my gadgets and gizmos in this hobby. But what I'm looking at is adding a bus bar and a pH probe to my apex jr. I've always wanted to track more than just temperature with my controller.

The lights,... I'm still unsure of at this point. I want decent LEDs but I don't want to have to pay out the nose for them. I'm lookin at possibly getting another photon 48" from Reefbreeders. I liked the last one I had. Though, it doesn't do the whole glowy stuff like an AI Hydra does. I don't think I can bring myself to spend $1100 on lights alone. I'm budgeting for $500 or less. That's why I like the cheap Chinese LED lights at this point.

snakeblitz33

Yep, you've seen it before so I'm sure you would recognize it. Keep in mind though that just a tiny amount of it will cloud the water. But, you would at least see a film on the container.

You might want to stop stirring it to let it settle to see if it rises or sinks.
There isn't a film on the glass. I checked it last night. I havent looked at the tank yet this morning. I'll let yall know something.

snakeblitz33

I don't like the uneven black background. Apparently I didn't use the same kind of spray paint as the original owner.

I'm not worried about it though. I'll let it grow over with coralline and glue some shelving montipora on it or something to help conceal it a little better.

snakeblitz33

If all goes well, I might be moving in three to six months. I'm hoping that we can buy a house soon before the second arrival.

If you only had three to six months for a tank before you move it, what would you do? Go along with it and then move it when the time comes or just put some pretty fish in it and don't worry about corals until after you move? I'm kinda stuck in a spot with this one.

snakeblitz33

I've moved plenty of tanks and livestock. Moving it should not be a big issue. The problem is deciding if I should invest in corals in three months or not.

Kinda weird talking about buying my first house. Never imagined that would happen.

snakeblitz33

Woohoo!!! I have a jebao wp40 powerhead given to me by a good friend. Shipping Saturday! I'm really excited to try it out! Thank you so much for your generosity! You know who you are! ;)