Opinions NEEDED! Is there are market for this?

aviator

You got it flower. If anyone else wants to put their name on the list, PM me. I need your real name and how many of the units you want. I'd like to get about 10 people on the list for a first run.
DesertDawg, I got your PM. Thanks!
Also, I'm still very interested in hearing ideas for a name for the thing.

aviator

Well folks, I have the numbers in now - based on the proof of concept model that is running right now,
Looks like the units are going to retail for $275-$300 plus shipping, which may very well make them unrealistic. I'm interested in feedback on the units at this price point. I know everyone would like to see them cheaper (including me) - but this is as inexpensive as I can make them.
I'm interested in feedback about price vs. percieved value though. This price doesn't include any water quality monitors. The only thing it will monitor is water temperature. But ALL of the features of the five timerd outlets in are in place.. I'm just not sure that, at that price, they are worth making.
Would love to get some feedback about this bad news.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator http:///forum/thread/378726/opinions-needed-is-there-are-market-for-this/100#post_3323148
Well folks, I have the numbers in now - based on the proof of concept model that is running right now,
Looks like the units are going to retail for $275-$300 plus shipping, which may very well make them unrealistic. I'm interested in feedback on the units at this price point. I know everyone would like to see them cheaper (including me) - but this is as inexpensive as I can make them.
I'm interested in feedback about price vs. percieved value though. This price doesn't include any water quality monitors. The only thing it will monitor is water temperature. But ALL of the features of the five timerd outlets in are in place.. I'm just not sure that, at that price, they are worth making.
Would love to get some feedback about this bad news.

LOL a salesman you are not. Tell you what, post the picture of the finished product, then list all the things it does..do not mention what it does NOT do.
Once I see it all in a nice package set out like I just said, I will tell you if I would buy it s a customer. Now here is the thing, if that's what it cost just to make it, what about making a profit? So attach your price..I don't want to go back through this whole thread, I have been following but not every second. So I really don't know all the things it does or how it looks.
I do know you have put allot of work into this, I know the touch screen looks really awesome...so show me what you have as the finished product.

aviator

Full Color Touchscreen interface

• 3.5" LCD monitor

• Over 65,000 colors

• Full touchscreen from corner to corner

• Easily calibrated, can be calibrated at anytime

• Each touch renders an "affirmative" beep

• Low voltage 5V DC requirements make it safe in wet environments (However: unit is NOT waterproof)
    Digital internal clock/calendar

• Internal clock is accurate within 2 seconds every year.
    Time, date and day of week are easily changed and stored with just a few touches of the touchscreen.
    Time, date and day shown on the main screen.
    Internal clock has triple backups to ensure the unit continues to work after a power outage.
    Unit has internal 2 second battery for small outages
    Unit has an external 3.3v lithium battery to keep the clock going during extended outages. Battery will last for 5 years.
    As a last failsafe, the last minute, hour, and full date are stored in non-volatile memory. If the unit loses power for an extended period of time, when the unit powers back up, the clock will, as a last resort, pick up on the time, and date where it last had power.
Control up to 5 devices

Each device has a fully customizable 17 character name slot.
Renaming devices uses the familiar, standard QWERTY keyboard screen.
ttp://forums.saltwaterfish.com/image/id/392603/width/1000/height/500" />
[*]
Each device can draw up to 15 amps (not to exceed 20 amps total across all five devices)
[*]
Unit uses standard 110V NEMA sockets, to plug in any device that would normally run directly off of wall power.
[*]
Use an extension cord or surge protector to plug several low power devices into a single socket, controlling as many items as you want!
[*]
Each socket has its own 16 amp electrical breaker. If you lose one device, the others will continue to work.
[*]
Main unit also has a single black NEMA socket that is always ON and not controlled by the timer.
[*]
All timer information stored in Non-Volatile Ram and will be retained, even if power is lost.
Device independent timers

[*]
Times ON and OFF can be easily changed and affects timer setup immediately,
Times shown in easy to read 12hr format.
Timers can be set to run on specific days and be left off on others.
Each timer can be quickly overridden, allowing the user to turn a device ON or OFF regardless of the time and date settings.

Timer main screen shows 4 different timer statuses at a glance directly to the right of each name:
RED – Device is in override OFF and will not turn on without user intervention
GREEN – Device is in override ON and will not turn off without user intervention
ank">
GREY – Device is in timer mode, but outside it's timer on window and therefore is OFF.
[*]
GOLD – Device is in timer mode and inside it timer window and therefore is turned ON.
Unit monitors water temperature every second

• Temperatures can be shown in Fahrenheit or Celsius.

• Temperatures are accurate to .01 degrees.

• Unit will log temperatures based on users configuration

• Temps will be recorded anywhere from every 10 minutes to every day

• Unit will store up to 1,000 different data points

• Information is presented in an easy to understand graphical format.
Programmable Temperature Alarm

[*]
Alarm can be set anywhere from 32F to 100F
Two temps can be set:
Alarm ON – the temperature to take action
Alarm OFF – the temperature to return to normal operation
Upon reaching the Alarm ON temperature, the unit can be set to perform specified operations:
Turn any device ON or OFF
Turn on sound alarm
Display a customer defined warning message on the screen.
Unit will additionally log the time the alarm went off, what the temperature was, and what actions were taken.
[*]
Upon reaching the Alarm OFF temperature, device will return on normal operation.
[*]
Unit records the alarm time Off.
[*]
A warning Icon will appear on the screen to let the user know the alarm had been triggered.
[*]
Icon can be removed by simply touching it, reviewing the data and touching "ok"
Reminder Schedule

• Unit is capable of displaying four reminder icons.

• Each reminder can have a customized name, paragraph of text and frequency.

• Every day

• Every other day

• Every Saturday
      Every Friday at 6:00pm
      Etc…
    When the reminder time has been reached, a flashing Icon will display on the screen.
    Flashing icon can be removed by touching the screen.
    Unit logs the time the reminder was triggered
    Unit logs the time the reminder was turned off.
Unit Lockout

System can be locked by using a user defined 4 digit code.
System will show the standard monitor screen with the locked icon showing in the bottom right corner.
When touched a keypad will be displayed
img alt="image026.jpg" src="https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/e/eb/eb4795d4_image026.jpg[*]
The user has three tries to enter to right code. If not the unit locks for a user defined amount of time
[*]
Once entered properly, the unit becomes fully functional and the "unlocked" Icon appears.

[*]
If the user forgets the code, a simple pushbutton inside the main unit will reset the code to 1234 – allowing the user access to the system for resetting the code.
[*]
While the unit is locked, users cannot perform any duties clicking any icons – any touches of the screen show the keypad only.
[*]
Perfect for homes with little fingers, or businesses that have their aquarium in the lobby.

Main Unit

• Slightly larger than a standard surge protector

• Has status LED's on the front for:

• Power

• Communication to display
    Clock is running
    Status of each socket (on or off)
    Internal Temperature digitally monitored
    Unit is gasket sealed to prevent water or dust intrusion
    Comes with 4 foot industrial cord
    Features circuit breakers, not fuses.
    Microcomputer and supporting electronics are optically isolated from the wall plugs, ensuring no damage should there ever be a short.
    Unit uses industrial oversized relays to ensure reliability for the entire life of the unit
    MCU firmware easily upgraded – upgrades provided free to all customers via the internet for the service life of the unit.
Display Unit
"https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/5/57/57a8e9f2_1000x500px-LL-3a0a407a_temp.jpg

• 6 foot cord for easy placement of unit.

• OPTIONAL WIRELESS UNIT - USES RF SIGNALS TO COMMUNICATE, 500 FOOT RANGE.

• Display screen housed in sleek, eye pleasing case

• Case can be mounted either to the wall using supplied screws, or hung on the tank.

• Screen dimming is fully customizable:

• Off after a certain number of seconds

• Dim with surrounding ambient light
    No Dimming, always on.
    Display unit runs cool to the touch, even when on all the time so no additional heat load is put on the tank.
    Touch screen can be manipulated with either the finger, or a stylus.
    Unit is light-weight and can be mounted anywhere.
    If the display unit is disconnected for any reason, the main unit will continue to run in the last mode that was entered. (ON, OFF or TIMER for each device)
    DCU firmware easily upgraded – upgrades provided free to all customers via the internet. For the service life of the unit

flower

I did a little comparison shopping.
It looks like it goes with a computer...Look up Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite there are 3 models. The cost is $249.00 basic, then add $150.00 or $250.00
Tech Specs
Max Expansion: 63 Modules
Display: 128x64 Graphical w/RGB backlight
Backlight Colors: 30
Ethernet: Yes (Requires optional NET module)
Interface: 11 Button
Audible Feedback: Yes
Battery Backup: Yes
Data Logging: Yes
Data Graphing: Yes
Key Lock: Yes
Wavemaker: 4 (A/B, C/D)
Sure-on Feature: Yes
EasyFlow Menu System: N/A
ReadyFit Functions: No
Connections
One Bus Port
Physical Details
Headunit Dimensions: 3.45" x 4.45" x 0.80"
Mounting Options: Two Side Tabs, Two Eyelets (on the back)
Package Contents
ReefKeeper Elite Basic
1 x RKE Head Unit
1 x PC4 - Power Controller 4
1 x SID - System Interface Device
1 x 6' USB Cable
1 x 6' Bus Cable
4 x Mounting Screws
ReefKeeper Elite Plus
1 x RKE Head Unit
2 x PC4 - Power Controller 4
1 x SL1 - System Lab 1
1 x DA pH Probe (w/calibration packets)
1 x DA Temperature Probe
1 x 6' USB Cable
1 x 6' Bus Cable
2 x 3' Bus Cable
2 x 1' Bus Cable
8 x Mounting Screws
ReefKeeper Elite NET v2
1 x ReefKeeper Eltie Head Unit
2 x PC4 - Power Controller 4
1 x SL1 - System Lab 1
1 x NET - NET Interface Module
1 x DA pH Probe (w/calibration packets)
1 x DA Temperature Probe
1 x 6' USB Cable
1 x 6' Bus Cable
2 x 3' Bus Cable
2 x 1' Bus Cable
1 x 7' CAT5 Ethernet Cable
10x Mounting Screws
So in the end...I will gladly purchase your unit for $300.00 but not until January, when I have the cash flow for it. Do you have a sellable, marketable item..YES..

aviator

Flower, you ROCK! Thank you so much for the comparison.
Jstdv8, There will most likely be a $100 unit, but it will be scaled back.

2quills

Looks and Sounds fantastic! I love the display. Can you elaborate a little more on how to hook it up please? I know you mentioned the use of a power strip. But how excactly will the controler know what to turn on and what to turn off? Would we have to get a power strip that utilizes data ports for comunication back and forth from the controler to the power strip? Or did I miss something and a powerstrip would be provided?

aviator

2Quills;
Here's how it hooks up:
the main box is designed kind of like an intelligent power strip, it has 5 110V sockets on it, just like you would see on a standard power strip or surge protector. Each of these sockets is digitally managed by the system. So, you can either plug 5 devices directly into the unit OR, if you have, lets say 3 Koralias you want to run together - you could plug all three of them into a power strip or an extension cord and the plug that into the box. The box itself plugs into the wall. Then when you turn that "device" on using the touchscreen, all three Koralias will run.
You won't need to purchase any fancy or expensive power strips. A cheap extension cord would do just fine for low power devices like powerheads.
The

desertdawg

I think your display sets it apart from the rest so you should be able to sell them at that price...
I haven't really looked into controllers that much but the one mentioned above is expandable, I think that if you can incorporate that feature you would then have future software and intelligent power strip sales to customers....

acrylic51

The controller referenced is expandable, but would consider it not a fair comparison.... reefKeepet IMHO is bottom tier of controller technology. There is a thread that has all the major controller manufacturers and specs that would be a good comparison to see it side by side.

2quills

I think they compiled all of that info into one site...if we're thinking about the same thread then this is where they send you. If you follow the link then on the left of the home page theres another link to the controler comparison chart. http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/

aviator

Another quick update.
I'm currently waiting on the arrival of the test enclosures. They should be here in the next few days.
I also changed the keypad screen from the ugly black and white one show above to a more attractive one: It now loks like this:

I will research the links above and see how my unit compares. Heck, I may even get some new ideas!