Shhhh I am Upgrading To A 75 & The Wife Doesn't Know

metweezer

It's enivitable. I am going to go with a larger tank. A 75. I always said I don't want these super big tanks as I have no intention of having Angels, Tangs, Puffers, etc. I just want some room. In the past I figured that a 55 was as big as I was going to get, but the 75 gives me 5 more inches of width to place my LR. With the 29 I have now, I am constantly banging into my LR with the magfloat. So since a 55 is only an inch wider than my 29 I decided to go with a 75. But keep a lid on it. The wife doesn't know yet.
I have at least one question and it is: is this tank too big for a HOB filter? Do I need a sump or refugium and do I need a overflow? Most purchased tank stands have shelves and not room for a sump, etc. Geez, she's going to kill me.
I know diddley about these things. It's in the planning stages right now but it is going to happen. Perhaps an anniversary present

A

azul1994

You don't need a sump but I would suggest one. It looks better because you can hide all of your equipment.

sepulatian

Nice Steve!!!! We won't tell HAHA! You do not need a sump if you don't want one. If you are going with HOB filters then get two or three of them and space them apart. Don't buy ones rated for smaller tanks. They are a waste of money.

C

curve

I run 3 emporer 400 on my 135 and it has worked well for about 2 years. I am just know going to a sump setup.

scopus tang

Steve, as others stated, you don't have to go with a sump or sump/fuge, but in the long run I think you would be much happier with the result if you did. I purchased my new 65 predrilled, and while it was initial more expensive to set-up, I am much happier with the end result. I've maintained 0 nitrates on the system since 6 weeks after it was set-up. This plus the convienence of accessing skimmers and filters underneath rather then over the top and actually being able to set the system up against the wall and have nothing sticking up on the top is well worth it in my opinion. Congrates on the bigger system, as one who kept small systems for years and years, I can tell you there really is no comparison.

mcbdz

Do you really think you can hide it.

You better give her somethin' she's really wantin' and maybe you'll get away with it.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2585259
Do you really think you can hide it.

You better give her somethin' she's really wantin' and maybe you'll get away with it.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking when I read it. A 29 substituted with a 75. Nah, she won't notice

matt b

You do NOT need a sump.. I have a 75 with a large bioload and alot of SPS without one. I have a aqua clear HOB filter I turned into a refugium and a octopus bh300f skimmer and thats it.

D

dennis210

Since you said you hated bumping into rock with the mag float think about this. True you don't have to have a sump, but all of you equipment can be placed in the sump. With a 75 gallon tank and a sump underneath you will have probably 75 gallons of actual water volume. Only having a few PH's in the tank. Your ease of cleaning and of doing maintainance will be tenfold.
The appearance of the tank will therefore look much nicer and to the wife less like a science project. "They" seem to like things that look nice; at least mine does!

spiderwoman

We could not be happier with the decision we made to setup a sump/refugium. More water volume, equipment hidden and the DT looks so clean with just a few PH's in it :)
PS Trust me, she will appreciate the larger, more clean and streamline tank.

dse

go get 150 gal+ tank or im telling the wife!
also take pics thats what im doing with my one soon anuff.

tarball

JDL;2585562 said:
metweezer;2585032 said:
I decided to go with a 75.
Go with the 90! wife wont notice the difference from a 75 to a 90, but you will.

I totally agree, Skip the 75 & jump to the 90. I have a 55g & I'm about to move up to a 90g tank very soon. I'm after a 90g bow front
Good luck with your new system.

metweezer

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2585496
Since you said you hated bumping into rock with the mag float think about this. True you don't have to have a sump, but all of you equipment can be placed in the sump. With a 75 gallon tank and a sump underneath you will have probably 75 gallons of actual water volume. Only having a few PH's in the tank. Your ease of cleaning and of doing maintainance will be tenfold.
The appearance of the tank will therefore look much nicer and to the wife less like a science project. "They" seem to like things that look nice; at least mine does!
What equipment can I put in the sump? You mentioned that I will still need PH's in the DT. Can the protein skimmer and the filter go into the sump? Anything else

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2586183
What equipment can I put in the sump? You mentioned that I will still need PH's in the DT. Can the protein skimmer and the filter go into the sump? Anything else

We've got an area setup as a refugium, heater, skimmer, output pump, filter media...

metweezer

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2586226
We've got an area setup as a refugium, heater, skimmer, output pump, filter media...
This is fascinating
So how does an overflow fit in to all of this? I am totally ignorant about sumps, fuges, overflows, etc. You have so much in your sump. What would be the ratio in sump to DT size
Would a 29 gal sump be able to handle a 75 gal? Is it hard to make part of it into a fuge like you did?

alix2.0

werent you the one who said i should have gone with a 55 instead of a 75!!?? j/k way to stick it to the man... er... woman.
pictures when it happens!