wish me luck

reefreak29

hi guys (and gals) im finally haveing surgery on my knee after workmens comp finally approved it (7 month wait) im scheduled for friday for my cartalidge replacement possibly knee replacement cause wc took so long to approve it. anyone have experience with one or the other.

ruaround

best of luck... i have never gone under the knife, but should have for my knee several years ago...

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by reefreak29
http:///forum/post/2687075
hi guys (and gals) im finally haveing surgery on my knee after workmens comp finally approved it (7 month wait) im scheduled for friday for my cartalidge replacement possibly knee replacement cause wc toof so long to approve it. anyone have experience with one or the other.
Good Luck to you! Wishing a speedy recovery!

al mc

Had surgery on one knee about two years ago for torn ACL with meniscus damage. They did not do any cartilage implants but I understand that results are generally good. My orthopod set me up with a neat post op device to help with pain/swelling. It is something that appears to be an Igloo cooler that you fill with ice and water. A timer is used to peridically pump the ice water through tubing that leads to a knee pad that attaches to your knee and cold water flows thru it.....very nice.....ask about it if you have the cartilage replacement.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2687361
Had surgery on one knee about two years ago for torn ACL with meniscus damage. They did not do any cartilage implants but I understand that results are generally good. My orthopod set me up with a neat post op device to help with pain/swelling. It is something that appears to be an Igloo cooler that you fill with ice and water. A timer is used to peridically pump the ice water through tubing that leads to a knee pad that attaches to your knee and cold water flows thru it.....very nice.....ask about it if you have the cartilage replacement.
yes i will have this cooling device , ive heard its great. ill also have this other thing that will move my leg whyll I sleep.

nano reefer

knee surgeries go great, not much to worry about. doing rehab right will change your life. personal example:
my "Nonnie" (mom's side): has a knee surgery, takes it easy for a week but then walks as much as she can (after 2 weeks could walk for a mile). second knee surgery (many years later on other knee) does the same thing and walks fine. that and a hip replacement in there too.
my "grammy" (dads side): knee surgery, hip surgery, and wrist surgery (very bad fall), sits on a chair for a couple months and 90% of movement was in a wheelchair. after almost a year she is struggling to walk and making a very slow and painful recovery.

reefforbrains

Went through it here. All the crazy horror stories can get you going and having a yard sale to sell every peice of active equip you have. Try to power through it for 3 or 4 months. After 6-8 months you should be rockin out enough to guage what you will be able to do.
Dont get discouraged when your put through testing 2 weeks after surgury and you cant do anything.
Takes a rediculous amount of healing time. Many just go through the motions and dont actually try during physical therapy afterwards. Range of motion and phantom pain turns young people into little old men that never try again. No more running or full motion. Its sad.
You will be twisted until you cry. You will feel rediculous for not being able to do such simple things. Knees and internal joint work heals slowly. Your body re-routing nerves and getting used to the new parts is an odd experience that cant be explained to someone that hasnt gone through it. It really DOES feel like someone elses kneee hurts.
Long story short. Painful and slow to rebuild, But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/2687436
Went through it here. All the crazy horror stories can get you going and having a yard sale to sell every peice of active equip you have. Try to power through it for 3 or 4 months. After 6-8 months you should be rockin out enough to guage what you will be able to do.
Dont get discouraged when your put through testing 2 weeks after surgury and you cant do anything.
Takes a rediculous amount of healing time. Many just go through the motions and dont actually try during physical therapy afterwards. Range of motion and phantom pain turns young people into little old men that never try again. No more running or full motion. Its sad.
You will be twisted until you cry. You will feel rediculous for not being able to do such simple things. Knees and internal joint work heals slowly. Your body re-routing nerves and getting used to the new parts is an odd experience that cant be explained to someone that hasnt gone through it. It really DOES feel like someone elses kneee hurts.
Long story short. Painful and slow to rebuild, But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

i think you hit the nail on the head there . pt is going to be very important, im very motivated to try to fully recover. not looking forward to post surgery first 2 weeks

laurie01

The most imporant piece of advice I can give you is - do ALL the exercises your physical therapist tells you to (& as frequently)!!!!! - and ALWAYS remember to take your pain medicine BEFORE therapy!!!!!! (You may regret it if you forget).
December 2006, I was in a car accident & broke my leg right at the knee (tibia plateau fracture with 2 torn ligaments - metal plate with 8 pins in my knee). Anyway, I was started on PT a week after I got home from the hospital & he started me on strengthening exercises right away. They sure helped! Walking was much easier when I was able to start weight-bearing again. When I graduated from in-home PT to outpatient; there was someone there who had a knee replacement. I just saw her a month ago & she is still in PT & having problems with her knee.
PLEASE DO ALL YOUR EXERCISES THEY TELL YOU TO!!!!!!!!!!!!
My surgeon said my knee healed much better than what he was expecting - I think probably due to working so hard.
Hopefully, your experience won't be nearly as bad. Various peple have told me that torn ligaments is the worst part. (I can't bend my knee as much as I would like - but still do ROM exercises.) My ROM is actually improving a bit still.
Best of luck with surgery. Hopefully you will have an easy recovery.
Laurie
PS - here are 2 websites all about knee injuries you may find helpful (they both include message boards:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/ and http://www.mybrokenleg.com/

mimzy

goooooooood luck!!!! take it easy, give yourself TIME and have patience and it'll be aaaaaaal good!!