Eating Live sea urchins

nigerbang

Not a fan of fish... Just dont like the smell of it.. I do like Lobster,Crab legs, Shrimp.. things like that... Sushi is good depending on where you get it...
As far as dude popping open urchins, I can think of more deplorable things to do other than that.. Im not going to condemn someone for what might be a regional delicacy.. Im sure I have eaten things that people would not like the idea of but oh well....

jon_fiasco

honestly i eat both.. i enjoy eating both... my favorite fish has gotta be dolphin fried i love it... i also very much enjoy fried shrimp, lobster, grouper, snappers tuna, i love eating fish lol got to say i dont think i would eat urchin tho kinda weird...

jon_fiasco

i think the weirdest thing ive ever ate was rabbit believe it or not, im pretty sure im gonna get a lot of crap for that but yea rabbit is pretty good, it really taste like chicken.....

rlablan

I don't eat fish but it's because I don't like it. I don't really eat red meat their. Only burger every now and then, I am a chicken person.
Again, It's not the eating of the animal, it's the way he's doing it and his attitude toward the creature that he's eating. I just think it should not be alive while he eats it. I think it's just messed up and morbid... like I said.... Hannibal lecture stuff right there...
Thought though makes me sick...
I do have to say though. I like me some goldfish. They are tasty little critters

rlablan

Jackri-I am very much a fan of dark humor. Also Sarcasm is good too. I think I am going to DL that show on my appleTV and watch.
I don't watch TV either, as we have talked out. Most of it makes you stupid. I watch a few shows and only watch things on DVR because I hate being bombarded with Commercials. I mainly only watch DIY, educational stuff like Discovery... Science channels... Historic things, and i absolutely love crime TV. That stuff is very complex and engaging. No idiot box, brian melting MTV for me. lol

rlablan

No. I really. When I nannied, I got plenty of children to eat goldfish. You pick them up, bite the heads off and then eat the tails. You can buy them in bulk at warehouse stores so you have them to much on. I eat handfuls of them regularly.

S

smartorl

I guess it's all about looking at the bigger picture. Most of us eat meat, sadly, it comes from animals that die for the purpose of providing food and products. You say you like chicken, well honestly, chickens suffer some of the worst abuse in the meat industry. Animals are butchered and not always humanely. What the industry considers humane would turn the stomaches of most consumers.
The fish we buy in the markets die usually from suffocation. The shellfish are live when purchased, that is why you are instructed not to buy the open ones, as they are dead. And let's not forget lobsters, I think we all know their fate.
I understand your concern when you see things like the videos. I hate seeing people making a mockery of animals in any form dying. It's a necessary evil of most of our existances but please show a little respect.
My son got a pregnant pig, I was looking up information and was directed to a pet medical forum. On this forum there was a huge battle over guinea pigs being fed to reptiles. Many thought that it was ok to feed chicks or rats, but not guinea pigs because they were "pets", others fought that they had pet chickens and couldn't see the difference between guinea pigs and chickens.....
My point is that this is a situation that depends largely on your orientation. You are sensitive because you love your urchins, however to others they may seem insignifigant.

rlablan

You do bring up a good point. Its not just urchins. I am a little biased, but all animals are significant to me. I am not a veggie head because of my believes that the man upstairs gave man animals to eat, but he never said be mean to them and slaughter them and be terrible terrible people. That's just me though... As far a chickens go, I totally know what you mean. They get the short end of the stick. :( It's very sad. I wish I lived in a place where things like "free range" and actual "humane" meat was available. Unfortunately though,I am limited with my budget and what they off in the markets.
This is also the reason why I don't eat seafood. I don't like the taste, or smell, but also the way they are caught, killed etc. I don't really eat anything that isn't farmed... i.e meat. No one catches these cows and eats them like we do fish from the ocean or that urchin. Maybe 1000 cows ago, the original one was wild... obviously... but you know. I think it's terrible about lobster too. Has anyone ever seen those machines where you catch your own lobster for dinner at a restaurant? I think thats terrible. they live their lives in a terrible environment, only to be throw in a pot. No, way. I can't do it, I'm sorry.
The thing here to me... is the eating it alive. It's not eating it, I don't pick up a chicken and take a bite out. It's killed first, hopefully quickly and I wish, more humanely... I am not a chicken farmer, if I were... rest assured that I would do something about it, and have the prettiest, nicest chicken farm ever.
And yes meowzer... I def. mean those. lol

rlablan

Although- about the goldfish- That jingle they used to have "The cracker snack, that smiles back, until you bite their heads off."
How messed up is that? Goldfish were a big part of my childhood... maybe this is was that guy who is my age thinks it's okay to do this. Oh television... what will you teach us next?
maybe he was just singing "the urchin snack that smiles back, til you come to beach hungry..." ... what an idiot.

rlablan

hahaha... never had thoses.... Though they did make those jumbo goldfish for a while. They were like 8 goldfish in 1. Those were pretty cool.
Also... What about swedish fish??

dragonzim

Dude, you need to lighten up and relax a little. Urchins are eaten all over the world and if its dead before you eat it there is a good chance you can get sick from it. Go to any good sushi restaurant and they will have urchin on the menu. They are generally kept alive right until the moment that the sushi chef cuts them open and serves them to you. Also, the same holds true for clams and oysters on the half shell. They are eaten all over the world, are delicious and are most definitely still alive when eaten.

small triggers

I could understand being upset by this. BUT, i have had to kill animals to eat before on my grandparents farm, and well frankly other than the blood i didnt mind it much. I understand that it is one of those things that people are upset by, but the animal does actually die when you scrape the mucus off the top.

rlablan

I appreciate the post, but I don't think you should tell me to "lighten up."
I am not mad, again I can't stress this, that he ate the urchin. I realize that people eat sea food, and eat animals, I eat chicken and beef. It;s his attitude toward this helpless creature. And the fact that he is trying to be cool infront of the camera by hurting an animal. I think it's a very mean thing to do... and it's what we were talking about earlier on in the thread, it's a sign that there are people (like this guy) that have no empathy. That is the source of my anger.

life~reefer

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3126558
hahaha... never had thoses.... Though they did make those jumbo goldfish for a while. They were like 8 goldfish in 1. Those were pretty cool.
Also... What about swedish fish??
Man I am glad there are good people out there in the world. Good for you standing up for something you care about. :) Swedish fish are the best too.
Used to always get a big bag of them at the grocery store.

rlablan

Thanks. It good to know I am not alone. Someone has got to speak up for the things with no voice. I'll never join peta, cause they're nuts lol... but there is no reason that someone can't call attention to something that is wrong...
Haha I am eating swedish fish right now! That's so funny... I am on the couch with a bag

louti

Can someone please describe the method of humanely killing a sea urchin before eating it? What a ridiculous thing to be upset about. Oh, and eating rabbit isn't weird at all; they taste even better than squirrels.