New Strains of Ich - Beware

triton

I just had an in-depth conversation with a pathologist at a pharmaceutical company that specializes in fish treatments. He has done extensive work on Marine Ich (cryptocaryon). One of the biggest issues with Ich, that most people don't realize, is that it can mutate into new strains. There isn't a "one size fits all cure" for Ich, as there are multiple unique strains of Ich.
There are several newer mutated strains of cryptocaryon that are resistant to hyposalinity and even copper. In his opinion, hyposalinity has began loosing effectiveness over the last 10 years because of mutation, and is useless against many strains of cryptocaryon.
The most recent development is a strain of cryptocaryon that will resist copper treatment. Yes, you heard this correctly. Ich that will completely give copper treatment the finger!
There is 1 known drug that will work on this resistant strain.
If it mutates into a resistant form, the industry will really be floating down a creek without a paddle.

al mc

Originally Posted by Triton
http:///forum/post/3055557
I just had an in-depth conversation with a pathologist at a pharmaceutical company that specializes in fish treatments. He has done extensive work on Marine Ich (cryptocaryon). One of the biggest issues with Ich, that most people don't realize, is that it can mutate into new strains. There isn't a "one size fits all cure" for Ich, as there are multiple unique strains of Ich.
There are several newer mutated strains of cryptocaryon that are resistant to hyposalinity and even copper. In his opinion, hyposalinity has began loosing effectiveness over the last 10 years because of mutation, and is useless against many strains of cryptocaryon.
The most recent development is a strain of cryptocaryon that will resist copper treatment. Yes, you heard this correctly. Ich that will completely give copper treatment the finger!
There is 1 known drug that will work on this resistant strain. What drug?
If it mutates into a resistant form, the industry will really be floating down a creek without a paddle.
What drug?

triton

I am not going to publicly advertise it in an open forum. Part of the problem with mutating ich, is constant exposure to one time effective treatments; copper and hyposalinity.
If people do not treat correctly, it is possible that Ich could begin to mutate and gain immunity to this drug as well.
If you want to confidentially contact me, we can talk.

florida joe

Let me see if I can guess the pathologist at this pharmaceutical company that specializes in fish treatments has the one and only treatment for the new mutated form of the ick parasite
If people do not treat correctly, it is possible that Ich could begin to mutate and gain immunity to this drug as well.
So what your are saying is that people did NOT treat ick with copper or hypo correctly and that is why the ick parasite mutated

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3055654
I am not going to publicly advertise it in an open forum. Part of the problem with mutating ich, is constant exposure to one time effective treatments; copper and hyposalinity.
I'm not trying to be a pain here, but if you are not going to give us any information whats the point of this thread?
Everyone already knows that there are different strains of EVERYTHING out there. What would be useful is to provide enough information so that everyone can research & start the discovery process.

meowzer

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3055663
I'm not trying to be a pain here, but if you are not going to give us any information whats the point of this thread?
Everyone already knows that there are different strains of EVERYTHING out there. What would be useful is to provide enough information so that everyone can research & start the discovery process.
LOL...I hate when people do that too..

windlasher

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3055662
Let me see if I can guess the pathologist at this pharmaceutical company that specializes in fish treatments has the one and only treatment for the new mutated form of the ick parasiteSo what your are saying is that people did NOT treat ick with copper or hypo correctly and that is why the ick parasite mutated

I bet it works in your DT as well and wont harm your inverts, either! I really hate those "I know something you don't" posts. Whats the point?

triton

No, the drug will wipe your reef and inverts if you put it in your display. It needs to be used in a QT system like most medications. It is nasty stuff, but very very effective. It really does a number on Ich.
I want to make people aware of this. This forum is littered with folks that have Ich problems, and there are lot's of hyposalinity failures despite following the directions precisely.
Anytime someone has a problem with Ich, Sepulatian or Beth chime in and start auto-responding with hyposalinity or copper.
Guess what? Times have changed and so has Ich. It is important to realize that as this parasite evolves (a.k.a. mutates), so must our treatment strategies.
Treating in hypo levels that weren't quite effective (1.010 instead of 1.009) or low copper levels, has resulted in mutated Ich that is completely out of control. The same thing could happen with this drug, so I am going to be stingy. I don't want the general public to know about this, and especially livestock distributors. There is just too much risk.
The point of my original post is:
A - Don't blindly believe the rubbish that hyposalinity andor copper are the only fail safe cures for Ich.
B - Provide awareness (most people don't know this) that Ich mutates and becomes adaptive to current treatments. The same thing is happening with turberculosis; it is back and there is a strain that is completely untreatable with current drugs.
Good reefing to you.

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3055710
No, the drug will wipe your reef and inverts if you put it in your display. It needs to be used in a QT system like most medications. It is nasty stuff, but very very effective. It really does a number on Ich.
I want to make people aware of this. This forum is littered with folks that have Ich problems, and there are lot's of hyposalinity failures despite following the directions precisely.
Anytime someone has a problem with Ich, Sepulatian or Beth chime in and start auto-responding with hyposalinity or copper.
Guess what? Times have changed and so has Ich. It is important to realize that as this parasite evolves (a.k.a. mutates), so must our treatment strategies.
Treating in hypo levels that weren't quite effective (1.010 instead of 1.009) or low copper levels, has resulted in mutated Ich that is completely out of control. The same thing could happen with this drug, so I am going to be stingy. I don't want the general public to know about this, and especially livestock distributors. There is just too much risk.
The point of my original post is:
A - Don't blindly believe the rubbish that hyposalinity andor copper are the only fail safe cures for Ich.
B - Provide awareness (most people don't know this) that Ich mutates and becomes adaptive to current treatments. The same thing is happening with turberculosis; it is back and there is a strain that is completely untreatable with current drugs.
Good reefing to you.
But why can you not tell us what this cure is?
By the way.. you spelled tuberculosis wrong.

deejeff442

i also found a cure for cancer but i am keeping it to myself.
i dont want to put the drug companies out of business.
jeez talk to one guy who i guess knows a little something and the world changes.
wonder if the 250,000 other scientists know about mutating ich?
why would there be mutating ich when the ocean isnt in hypo or copper for it to have to change?
if there is a new product for ich that is awesome but dont see ich mutating since most of us only treat ich maybe once or twice in a fishes lifetime.

al mc

I am sure that clorox bleach will kill off all strains of Ich also but you will also have lots of dead fish.
Original OP: Thanks for the advice, but if you can't supply more information then everyone has to assume it is just another of the myriad of treatments that have been reported to eliminate Ich that turns out to be less than advertised. I do hope a safe effective treatment is developed for this scourge. As with all organisms, Ich adapts/mutates to survive over time. Some strains would appear to survive hyposalinity. I have personally failed to personally see or hear from a reliable source that copper, when used at appropriate doses, fails...but there probably will come a day.
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT USE CLOROX BLEACH ANYWARE NEAR YOUR FISH....just an example to illustrate my point

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/3055654

http:///forum/post/3055710
The same thing could happen with this drug, so I am going to be stingy. I don't want the general public to know about this, and especially livestock distributors. There is just too much risk.
You want to make people aware, but you don't want the general public to know, but we can contact you confidentially to find out?

This is like a cheesy infomercial via saltwater fish forum.

S

shrimpy brains

I'd say thanks, but I'm not sure why! This thread is kinda like

I think I know the cure........QT everything before putting it in the DT, keep water quality high, fish stress down and proper foods and vitamins.

cranberry

K, is this source of information connected with the product?
Have they done any independent studies.Yes? Where are they?
Does the product list the ingredients?