Want a gun? Just buy it on Craigslist

dragonzim

Not for nothing, but anyone can walk into a walmart or sports authority and walk out with a 12 gauge shotgun too...

stdreb27

well if you're going to be accurate, you can't buy a gun on Craigslist...
http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited.items

Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on craigslist:

• Weapons and related items, including firearms, ammunition, silencers, pellet/BB guns, tear gas or stun guns.

xandrew245x

I love guns, but I buy mine legaly through a gun store.
I new it was easy for someone to buy a gun, I mean you could simply exchange cash for a weapon between to people, but I did not know this was legal. I thought you still had to go through a background check in order to get the weapons title signed over to the new person?

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390399/want-a-gun-just-buy-it-on-craigslist#post_3456994
I love guns, but I buy mine legaly through a gun store.
I new it was easy for someone to buy a gun, I mean you could simply exchange cash for a weapon between to people, but I did not know this was legal. I thought you still had to go through a background check in order to get the weapons title signed over to the new person?
It depends on the state laws.
But in texas I don't want a gun, I sell it, like a would anything else.

xandrew245x

Wow thats crazy! I agree it is nothing but one giant loophole, and they wonder how criminals keep getting weapons!

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390399/want-a-gun-just-buy-it-on-craigslist#post_3457001
Wow thats crazy! I agree it is nothing but one giant loophole, and they wonder how criminals keep getting weapons!
whoh, well... My last post was a bit of sarcasm...
The constitution is the supreme law of the land, it can't be a loophole... Was the conclusion I hoped would have been reached... Btw you sell a gun to someone who can't legally own it, you're going to jail...
And the law at least in texas is the way it should be...

mantisman51

As Ruben demonstrated, it is against CL policy to sell guns on their site. Secondly, guns are Constitutionally protected for citizens to own, so who cares? I have bought all my guns from licensed dealers, but that's because they are already background checked against stolen and guns used in crimes. But I have no problem with people buying guns from each other. Here in Arizona and in Idaho where I'm from, they do instant background checks and I can go in and buy any gun I want and walk out with it after they call my information into ATF. Ooh, criminals have guns! So what? That's why I have plenty of my own and know how to load, fire and field strip every one of them. The ATF has gun ownership at 75 million Americans, the NRA has the count at 150 million citizens. There are at least 300 million guns in America. I wish there was 300 million Americans armed and a billion guns. I don't fear them and I don't fear criminals having them; as long as petty dictators, like Bloomberg, leave me alone.

mantisman51

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/09/armed-houston-mom-confronts-burglars/?test=latestnews
Any questions as to my point of view? But caring liberals would say she was endangering her family and the community and should have been an unarmed victim and taken whatever the criminals had in mind quietly and without defending herself.

darthtang aw

The story, ironically does not list any websites, much less craigslist. Way to exaggerate to support a belief.
are their ilegal sales going on over the web? Sure. But then again, as dateline has shown us, pedaphilia over the web is a problem as well. Not to mention piracy and so on. Pedaphillia and piracy are already outlawed...it can't happen. absolutely against the law, no exceptions....yet still....this criminal action still occurs......How would outlawing guns prevent the criminal action on the web. Because as we can see...there is no pediphilic actions occurring on the web because that is outlawed.
Darth (your point was) Tang

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/390399/want-a-gun-just-buy-it-on-craigslist#post_3457046
The story, ironically does not list any websites, much less craigslist. Way to exaggerate to support a belief.
are their ilegal sales going on over the web? Sure. But then again, as dateline has shown us, pedaphilia over the web is a problem as well. Not to mention piracy and so on. Pedaphillia and piracy are already outlawed...it can't happen. absolutely against the law, no exceptions....yet still....this criminal action still occurs......How would outlawing guns prevent the criminal action on the web. Because as we can see...there is no pediphilic actions occurring on the web because that is outlawed.
Darth (your point was) Tang
You always use these twisted analogies to try and make a point. You forgot your "there's more deaths in automobiles than by guns" analogy.

The issue is if I have a gun, any kind of gun, I can place an ad in my local classifieds and sell it to whoever contacts me. I don't have to do a background check. The guy could be a mass murderer as far as I know. All I'm doing is handing over a gun, and getting cash in return. Mantis and your logic is, "I don't care, I have my own gun to protect me". Well what about the thousands of individuals that don't own a gun, and don't care to own one? It's OK that this guy can turn around and go hold someone up at gunpoint with the weapon he just bought from me because his 2nd Amendment rights says he can? Why outlaw it? Because that's one more element you can remove. You can't stop someone from simply selling a gun to a friend of a friend of a friend. But you can stop these 'shops' from advertising virtually any gun manfactured on the web that can be sold without any type of background check.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/390399/want-a-gun-just-buy-it-on-craigslist#post_3457007
As Ruben demonstrated, it is against CL policy to sell guns on their site. Secondly, guns are Constitutionally protected for citizens to own, so who cares? I have bought all my guns from licensed dealers, but that's because they are already background checked against stolen and guns used in crimes. But I have no problem with people buying guns from each other. Here in Arizona and in Idaho where I'm from, they do instant background checks and I can go in and buy any gun I want and walk out with it after they call my information into ATF. Ooh, criminals have guns! So what? That's why I have plenty of my own and know how to load, fire and field strip every one of them. The ATF has gun ownership at 75 million Americans, the NRA has the count at 150 million citizens. There are at least 300 million guns in America. I wish there was 300 million Americans armed and a billion guns. I don't fear them and I don't fear criminals having them; as long as petty dictators, like Bloomberg, leave me alone.
Yes Mantis, we know you'd love to live in this euphoric world where every single person owns a gun, straps it to their side, and can pull that sucker out anytime they choose. They did that in the Old Wild West. Do a study on the number of bodies they buried in Boot Hill because of it. I just hope the day doesn't come where someone does challenge you to a duel, and pulls out a gun to try and rob you. You may have the luxury of having that gun to counter him, but you better pray you're a quicker draw than he is. Someone points a gun at me while I'm unarmed, and I give him what he wants, chances are I'll walk away alive. If that same scenario occurred where I pulled my gun to counter him, there's a high probabilty gunfire will occur. I just better hope my aim is better than his.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/390399/want-a-gun-just-buy-it-on-craigslist#post_3457157
You always use these twisted analogies to try and make a point. You forgot your "there's more deaths in automobiles than by guns" analogy.

The issue is if I have a gun, any kind of gun, I can place an ad in my local classifieds and sell it to whoever contacts me. I don't have to do a background check. The guy could be a mass murderer as far as I know. All I'm doing is handing over a gun, and getting cash in return. Mantis and your logic is, "I don't care, I have my own gun to protect me". Well what about the thousands of individuals that don't own a gun, and don't care to own one? It's OK that this guy can turn around and go hold someone up at gunpoint with the weapon he just bought from me because his 2nd Amendment rights says he can? Why outlaw it? Because that's one more element you can remove. You can't stop someone from simply selling a gun to a friend of a friend of a friend. But you can stop these 'shops' from advertising virtually any gun manfactured on the web that can be sold without any type of background check.
just goes to show you don't know what you're talking about...

reefraff

What I want to know is now that they are done with their propaganda piece what are they going to do with the dangerous weapons? I'd be glad to make them an offer if it will make them sleep better at night knowing those "dangerous" weapons are no longer in their possession.

darthtang aw

just goes to show you don't know what you're talking about...
that is painfully obvious......classifieds? really?
mystery websites with illegal gun sales...and no mention of a single link........really?

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/390399/want-a-gun-just-buy-it-on-craigslist#post_3457176
You ever see a 50 cal slug? You could take down a chopper with less
Sure, I've seen em demonstrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///t/390399/want-a-gun-just-buy-it-on-craigslist#post_3457180
that is painfully obvious......classifieds? really?
mystery websites with illegal gun sales...and no mention of a single link........really?
I personally love it, a police grade handgun? Did you know you could take down a helicopter with a 50 cal.? The most powerful gun legal for sale in the USA? Modified to take an AK 47 bullet?
What did they do, get a bunch of reporters in there and say how can we make this sound more salacious, and yet say absolutely nothing?