0 success please help!!!

soccerbo24

Hey, I am still new to the hobby, but I have had a tank running for about a year now and have had 0 success. I tried to save money and start cheap with a very weak LED light a 29 gallon tank a filter 30 pounds of live sand and 25 pounds of live rock and I bought 30 gallons of water from *****... yes I know but that is the only lfs within 45 minutes of my house. I also got a some API test kits I got ammonia pH nitrite nitrate, a powerhead and a heater, I let everything cycle for a month, I tested every other day and never saw a rise in ammonia or nitrite, but after a month assumed it was fine and bought a few fish and a clean up crew of snails, since I got a few more powerheads upgraded my lighting to a dual t5 fixture had I about 5 fish In the tank when I started all of which died within about 5 months never found out why never showed any signs of disease and my parameters were pretty well in check so after they died I got a few more mind you I am still using ***** water here, finally I decided a needed a sump so I DIY my own sump got an HOB overflow from CPR very good unit and quite runs into a 20 gallon sump into a filter sock then through my protein skimmer I have seaclone 100 yes I know bad skimmer but I have seen a lot of people with good success with these things I still cant get it to work right i cant get my pump to stay in the side still in progress meanwhile it then runs into my small refugium which used to just be 8 pounds of live rock but that now was added to my display tank now it is 10 pounds of dry sand that i let sit for about 24 hours with a power head and cleaned it then through a bubble trap a few filter pads in there and back up into my display tank i have some cheato algae in there that i light with a 5K bulb on a reverse schedule to my display tank, i wanted to stay cheap and have gotten burned because i just lost 3 green chromis and my lemon peel angelfish still don't know what is killing them i will update pictures in the morning but i just don't know what i am doing wrong i keep looking for a RO/DI unit and might have one soon but i still don't know why everything is dieing and i don't wanna buy and kill anymore fish until i fix this these were my tanks parameter last time i check
Salinity 1.0265
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Calcium 500
Phosphate .25
pH 8.0
Alkalinity 12.5
Temp 76.5
Someone please save me i love the hobby all i do is research i just want to finally have some success and see happy fish and growing coral.

silverado61

Your Alk seems a little high I think but I don't know if that would be what's causing your problems with fish.

Edit your post into paragraphs and sentences. It's too long of a read in one shot. If you break it down, different people might see what's going on.

I made it about half way through before my eyes got dizzy so I skipped down to your parameters.

It could be as simple as the water your getting from *****.

jay0705

I agree. R u buying it boxed or from there tanks? Is that where u getting the fish too?

pegasus

I can't see anything in your parameters that would cause fish to die. If you are keeping up with your water changes there should be no reason for fish to die unless there is some type of infection spreading between the fish. What were/are you using to replace (top off) evaporated water?

flower

Hi,

How disappointing for you. Yes, please separate your paragraphs for easier reading.

Stop buying fish from *****, and mix your own saltwater...it's very easy, and if you can't afford your own RO/DI unit...Walmart sells RO water for about 37 cents a gallon.

Order your fish online, you get a 14 day guarantee here at SWF.com. Order one fish at a time
, and use a 10g tank with a HOB filter for a quarantine. You don't need anything in the 10g, except a bubble air line and a piece of PVC pipe or plastic décor (tape the air line to the pipe/décor to hold it to the bottom of the tank. Toss some Cheato in there too, just let it tumble around, it won't hurt anything and it will help to stabilize the QTs water. Put a towel under the tank, or paint the bottom (outside) dark.

It's a little expensive to have to pay shipping, but it's worth it for healthy fish, and that 14 day guarantee is golden.

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397845/0-success-please-help#post_3547875
Stop buying fish from *****

It's a little expensive to have to pay shipping, but it's worth it for healthy fish, and that 14 day guarantee is golden.
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but...

I bought 6 fish and 5 turbo snails from ***** mid-day yesterday. I observed them very closely and for quite some time before having them bagged up. They're all still doing great tonight.

Here's my beef with SWF: A couple of weeks ago I ordered a flame angelfish from SWF. It had a nasty tumor on it's left anal fin that extended up into it's stomach. It ate good for almost two weeks, until the tumor had reached it's gills. It couldn't eat after that, and two days later, it died. Oh goodie... a store credit. YAY! Yesterday, I used the $49.99 store credit. I went almost $4 over my store credit buying snails, so I'm thinking "Cool... I basically only have to pay for shipping". I started checking out, and that's where the excitement ended. $44.98 for shipping and $4.99 for packaging, for a total of $49.97 to ship a small order of snails. Seriously? Don't get me wrong, I realize that overnight delivery is fairly expensive, but why can I order from another vendor on the west coast of Florida and my orders ship overnight for HALF of that? Does it really cost an extra $25 to get a package across the peninsula of Florida? I realize I'm writing this on the SWF forum, and I hope I don't get banned for speaking my mind, but come on. It really doesn't matter how good the deals are if the shipping is going to eat up any savings.

Perhaps this will help put things in a better perspective: I live 775 miles from SWF in Ft Peirce, FL and it costs $49.97 to ship overnight, yet the same order from BZA in Los Angeles, CA which is over 1,900 miles costs $39.95. The ONLY reason I completed the order is because I've been searching my favorite vendors for Star Astrea snails forever, and they're always out of stock. That... and I had a $49.99 store credit. I bought the last 6 SWF had (I wanted 12), and who knows how long it'll be before they ever get anymore. For having a few in stock... thanks SWF.

FYI... the reason I know BZA charges $39.95 for shipping is because I just went through checkout, and wouldn't you know it? They have Star Astrea (aka/ninja star) snails in stock... DOH!!! Okay, I'm through venting. I only want people to be aware that it's not always the best option to buy online when you have the ability to see and observe the livestock BEFORE you spend your hard earned cash. Store credits cover the item price(s), but you'll always have to pay for shipping. This hobby isn't cheap, and people want the biggest bang for the buck. Just my 2c...

soccerbo24

I use distilled water to top off and I buy water from ***** they sell it out
Of there tanks I just set up my 20 gallon QT tank is a filter okay rather then an air stone?

pegasus

Distilled water is okay. Water from ***** tanks, not so much. I never put the water that comes with my fish in my tanks. In fact, I lose a lot of tank water while acclimating the fish, because by the end of acclamation, all the shipping water has been tossed. When you have as many fish as ***** sharing the same water, you don't know what diseases may be floating around in that water. You'd be better off using tap water, a de-chloiriator, and mixing your own saltwater than using ANY pet store tank water.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerbo24 http:///t/397845/0-success-please-help#post_3547884
I buy water from ***** they sell it out of there tanks

I see this as a huge issue. You're getting a concentration of the worst of the worst in terms of disease and animal waste.

Quote:
I just set up my 20 gallon QT tank is a filter okay rather then an air stone?

A filter would be better in my opinion.

2quills

I guess I'll jump on the P.Co band wagon. We have 3 of them around the area where I live. There isn't a single one without disease laden fish in their tanks anytime I've ever been in any of them.
I have no problem going in for pet supplies from time to time though. They do sell pre mixed water in boxes or jugs (not from their tanks) I would get that long before I bought tank water from them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerbo24 http:///t/397845/0-success-please-help#post_3547884
I use distilled water to top off and I buy water from ***** they sell it out
Of there tanks I just set up my 20 gallon QT tank is a filter okay rather then an air stone?

Hello,

No air stone...a HOB filter and an air line with no stone, it will move the surface water, that way you won't need a power head for such a small tank. Also not all *****'s are created equal...but if you have lost all the fish you purchased from there...stop buying your fish from there.

Now a word of advice...Any store that would sell you water from their tank is a rip off place. We dump our old water out, and swap it with new mixed saltwater, it's called a water change. So you have been paying money for somebodies garbage. The only thing useful for old tank water is to rinse filter media in it , so it doesn't kill the good bacteria by running it under freshwater...and I certainly wouldn't use any old water for even that, unless it came from my own tank.

I also paid through the nose for snails by ordering on-line...such is life. I still say it's worth it, if the only fish store around is the one you mentioned that sells you all their wasted water...what a racket.

E

eric b 125

While I would never buy fish from a P.co store, I have ordered several fish from their website with great results. There aren't that many suppliers, so in all likelihood they get their fish from the same supplier as L.A. or even this website. I'm all about supporting LFS's but I'm also pretty interested in good prices, convenience, and affordable shipping. I think the problem with P.co is in their stores, where low-paid, under trained, employees with little interest in aquaria are responsible for the care of the tanks.

I have found that a QT (while somewhat of a PITA) is invaluable and much less of a PITA than a diseased DT.

When I got into the hobby I also used a Seaclone 100 and it served its purpose for a while until I was ready to invest more money into the hobby. Had I have known I'd enjoy this as much as I do, I'd have gotten rid of it sooner. Either way, does the pump stay on the skimmer body when you have it installed as a HOB skimmer? If it does, and there are no leaks, you might just want to run it as a HOB. Now that you have a sump, the water level in your DT will remain constant and the skimmer should run pretty stable.

The concern that I have is your SG. Depending on how often you top-off your water, the SG might be getting a little too high. Before I had an ATO I ran my tanks at 1.023. Once I got the ATO I raised it to 1.025.

jay0705

I agree. P co is iffy on fish at best. Now that said, I have gotten fish there, most lived a few did not. They use huge sumps that filter many tanks, so all u need is one tank to have something and they all do.
I also agree w mixing your own water. Get a clean food grade bucket, salt , declorinator and tap water. It will take u maybe 10 mins to mix let it areate overnight and do your water change

soccerbo24

I am buying my own RO/DI unit tomorrow how much water should I do on my first water change? Then how much again? Hoping to get all there water out ASAP

jay0705

How big is the tank? I usually do 3-5 gallons weekly. I have a 75. In my 20 I do about 2 gal

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerbo24 http:///t/397845/0-success-please-help#post_3547901
I am buying my own RO/DI unit tomorrow how much water should I do on my first water change? Then how much again? Hoping to get all there water out ASAP

If all your fish are dead already...there is no reason to not just remove the old water, and replace it with new mixed SW. Changing it out a little at a time once a week is good if you have fish...snails won't care, and it won't hurt the live rock or sand.

beaslbob

I would add or expand the macro algae either in the display with a partition or with a larger refugium.
And stop doing water changes just replacing evaporative losses with straight untreated tap water.
The idea is to insure the tank is fully balanced out and stabilized with the macro algae.
And in that way providing a stable healthy environment for your fish.
my .02

pegasus

I'd change it all out. The beneficial bacteria is in the rocks and sand, so if you match temp and salinity, the shouldn't be any adverse effect. Cycle it a week or so while checking parameters, the GRADUALLY add fish.

beaslbob

Quote:Originally Posted by Soccerbo24 http:///t/397845/0-success-please-help#post_3547907
29 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump I do 10 gallon water change every 2 1/2 weeks

were you treating the water with anything like Prime or amquell?
still I would just replace the evaporative with untreated tap, let the macros expand.
And after a week try a single male molly to test the system. And don't add food for the first week and only feed a single flake per day afterwords. After a month then try the marine only fish. And add slowly.
my .02